Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 Renegade SDI:

I bought it with 1362 mi this year.

The problem I am having is when I take the motor out and put it under a load (ditch banging or deeper snow across the lake) it has a intermittent miss around 7k r.p.m. It idles and runs fine, runs like a rape tape on the trails with no issues. Just having issues when the motor is under load, motor surges -500rpm roughly.

The only thing done to the sled is: I ran a some Lucas injector/cleaner fuel stabilizer through the tank, changed the fuel filter, and taped off the extra holes in the air box that was letting in belt dust. I also have a slp air filter sock.

I'm going to check and change the plugs next and trouble shoot any electrical issues but after that I'm thinking fuel pump, or injector? No trouble codes are shown so what do you guys think is the issue?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
that sled must have spent a lot of its life sitting. I know that it would be nice to know exactly what causes these issues, but fixing one thing and testing takes a long time and may lead to more damage, so I tend to fix all possible issues when tackling 2st engine misses on sleds.

Am pretty sure your issue is fuel related, but here's what I'd recommend: clean the injectors (not as big a job as it sounds), make sure the raves are clean and all is well there in terms of hoses and springs and gaskets, the y-pipe is right/tight/not cracked, put in new br9ecs plugs (maybe the 8's are pinging at max load/temp), and, once you get riding again, tune your clutches: the secondary should be showing 1/16" or so of belt above the edge of the sheave, and the primary should be tuned so the max rpm the engine will sustain is 8-8100.

The sdi is very sensitive to clutching and belt height due to a narrow power curve-make sure the clutching is as good as it can be before trying to assess engine performance by sounds and test rides-bad clutching can lead you in circles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ended up replacing the relay responsible for running the engine. Thought I'd wrap the relay with a screw driver and then it died; I read Dix's thread on relays under the maint forum.

Now I'm going to change plugs. Was going to pit br9ecs in but found 8's in it. So I think I'll stick with 8's. I think the previous owner might have had a fouling issue.

·
Registered
7,506 Posts
Ended up replacing the relay responsible for running the engine. Thought I'd wrap the relay with a screw driver and then it died; I read Dix's thread on relays under the maint forum.

Now I'm going to change plugs. Was going to pit br9ecs in but found 8's in it. So I think I'll stick with 8's. I think the previous owner might have had a fouling issue.
its supposed to have the 8s according to the 06 microfiche

·
Registered
888 Posts
9's are a safer plug to run and what was originally used/recommended for sdi, I'd try em, if you have no fouling issues stick with em. Maybe sort out this problem first.

Red Line fuel injector cleaner works so much better then lucas, techron or sea foam they're hardly comparable, and bg is even better.

Mix about half a tank, get it warmed up and shut it down while wot and let sit overnight. Then run/ride the rest of the cleaner throu.

You could take the injectors out and soak em overnight in much stronger mix, opening and closing them a few times with a 12v supply, maybe get a turkey baster involved to force fluid forward and reverse while it's open. but your best option, short of new, is having them cleaned at a shop. Which could/should be part of normal maintenance every 3 years or so, along with changing most type coolants, 5-6 is pushing it, and taking the injectors out to clean is better for the engine too.

I'd start there, rule that out, and no harm in having and knowing your injectors are clean.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
If you want to split the difference on plugs runs a br9eya, its a cat plug but i put them in all my doos. They are readily available at just about any auto parts store. They are an anti fouling plug thats about half way in between an 8 and 9 in heat range.

·
Registered
888 Posts
If you want to split the difference on plugs runs a br9eya, its a cat plug but i put them in all my doos. They are readily available at just about any auto parts store. They are an anti fouling plug thats about half way in between an 8 and 9 in heat range.
Never heard of this. As far as I know and according to ngk there's no heat difference between eya and ecs. An 8s an 8 and a 9's a 9. These two plugs are alike in every way except the electrode. ecs electrode's do better with vibration, temps, and therefore misfires and should not be gap'd.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh boy. I might get confused. Thanks guys I'll try the 9s first and if things are good keep them. I should call the dealer and see if there are any updates on my sled that haven't been done.. I'll mention to them what's there opinion on the plugs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts