Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a expert with 3 cylnder ski-doo electronics. I've been a small engine Mech. for 20 years but know little about the electronics of todays sleds. My son was using the Mach this weekend. He had started it to let it warm up, while he put on his helmet. The engine started ran for a Min, then died. He restarted it and it died again. He tried it one more time and it popped once then wouldn't fire anymore. I came to his aid and found no spark right away. Chased to normal things a person could do on the trail but no luck.

The sled has 1800 miles on it. I have had several other ski-do triple with NO problems.

Let me ask this, would the CDI cause loss of spark to all three cyl. You use to just loose spark on one Cyl. then you could just switch the wires around on the CDI to test and see if you got spark on the cylder that lost spark, using the oppisit cyl. wires.

I have heard that the CK3s had a ton of electrical troubles. Can anyone tell me what to test and how to see if it's the CDI or the Stator?

Any help would be great, Thanks Chuck

·
Registered
253 Posts
Chuck I have seen stators and cdi'c go . I have also seen stators that cause cdi to go. You are best to test the ignition gen side of the stator for ac volts when pulling the cord. It should up above 20vac to 30vac. Also check the trigger . Check the ign kill wires. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
havelock said:
All 3 coils fire at the same time they all work off one trigger coil for timing and they all use the same gen coil
[snapback]314290[/snapback]​
I'm imagining that the Lighting side of the stator and Ign. side are not one in the same, right? because I get sign of light in the head and tail light when I pull it over. I know in the older sleds I worked on they were seperate.

Have any idea what color wire I need to test comming out of the Mag side?

I have the CDI module pulled loose, carbs and exhast off. Should be easy to get at all the needed wires.

Thanks for anymore help, Chuck

·
Registered
957 Posts
Waterfowler said:
havelock said:
All 3 coils fire at the same time they all work off one trigger coil for timing and they all use the same gen coil
I'm imagining that the Lighting side of the stator and Ign. side are not one in the same, right? because I get sign of light in the head and tail light when I pull it over. I know in the older sleds I worked on they were seperate.

I have the CDI module pulled loose, carbs and exhast off. Should be easy to get at all the needed wires.

[snapback]314358[/snapback]​
I have the same problem with my 1999 machz head lights but no spark?........ttt
Any more info out there?

·
Registered
332 Posts
My '98 did this a few weeks ago. I checked the key, kill switch, dess, stator, they all checked out OK. I took it to the dealer, they tested everything also and he told me there is no reliable way to check the CDI. They ordered one and replaced it and I haven't looked back since......Knock on wood!!!

·
Registered
979 Posts
CDI or stator.

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
rjsmxzx800 said:
Waterfowler said:
havelock said:

[snapback]314358[/snapback]​
I have the same problem with my 1999 machz head lights but no spark?........ttt
Any more info out there?
[snapback]315416[/snapback]​
It could be either the stator or CDI. The lighting coil is on the stator but is a separate winding. I've had the CDI go once on my 98 Z and the stator twice. The first time my stator went the machine suddenly felt non-responsive and then just died, the second time it was just the lighting coil that went (the sled never missed a beat and continued to run fine). When the CDI went it was more of an intermitent thing, it would suddenly die after going over a rough section. I discovered if I picked up the front end and dropped it a couple of times it would fire right up and run good until the next set of bumps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts