Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend I fixed an outboard for a guy and as payment, helped recover a neglected mach z 1000 sdi out of the weeds of an iowa farm. Most everything is there except the secondary, which if found he will give me. Cylinders are scored pretty badly, bottom end was left open in the sled but will turn, pretty much every body panel has some amount of damage. Do you guys think the sled is worth rebuilding or should it be sold for parts? I'm usually a fan of saving things and what a cool machine but it is in rough shape. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
I agree on parting it, and as said above the cases are in demand. Lots of other good parts that will sell, but some that won’t as always. It would cost you mucho dinero to rebuild that engine properly! Not likely a good plan to fix it unless you are really in love with it. Track, skid, skis, etc. all good sellers.

·
Premium Member
30,516 Posts
If the question needs to be asked, then my standard answer is heck no. I also believe this to be one of the best Rotax engines when straight and running right. It is worth it if you are familiar with the engine and have seen it survive. If you are surrounded by folks who say it is destined to fail, then it will be an uphill battle. When all is equal, the 800s and 850s are not much if any different. Even the performance 600s have repeated low mileage failures if not rebuilt right.

@turbopete, I think the 1000 SDI is reaching the point of any triple/triple or vintage sled. Money is put into it because it is wanted above all else, and then it is worth every penny and multiple times more.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Glad to hear everyone's opinion. Really wish the thing was in a little better shape but what do you do, as you guys have said probably not worth the effort. I've never seen a running 1000 in person and think they're cool as hell. Parting it will just boost the funds to upgrade my wife's sled so still a win in my book. Thanks for chiming in.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
@turbopete, I think the 1000 SDI is reaching the point of any triple/triple or vintage sled. Money is put into it because it is wanted above all else, and then it is worth every penny and multiple times more.
[/QUOTE]

Just a matter of time, and reduced supply, every old car, truck, paperclip and clothes pin is “vintage” now, making them valuable (atleast to the seller). Nothing is just old and obsolete anymore. Seems the human race is so nostalgic that we want to hang onto everything that links us to our past.

I am sure you are right on the 1000s, there were tons of them for sale each year for a long time, just like the triple triples, but eventually they run out. I agree they were iconic sleds, don’t get me wrong. I think I just got used to seeing so many for sale ( many blown up), that I never gave them much thought, but same was true for mid-late 90s Mach z‘s, now the supply has dried up and I wish I had bought a couple.

·
Registered
2014 Skandic WT 2016 MXZ 600 Ace
531 Posts
Rebuilding sleds is a passion all unto its self. If it was about the value, then hardly any would be rebuilt. If you are inclined to ask, then suspect you have the passion and the means. Go for it. But don't ever think of it as a monetary investment. A way of enjoying life.... worth every buck.

·
Super Moderator
10,213 Posts
Rebuilding sleds is a passion all unto its self. If it was about the value, then hardly any would be rebuilt. If you are inclined to ask, then suspect you have the passion and the means. Go for it. But don't ever think of it as a monetary investment. A way of enjoying life.... worth every buck.
I used to think the same thing and put a lot of time and money into rebuilding my Mach Z. I learned a lot but took a huge loss on every dollar spent when selling it. It was a rewarding and frustrating ownership experience at the same time. It cost me more to rebuild the engine than I could get for the entire sled. The reality is that no matter how rare they are or how fun they are to ride, you’ve got to be comfortable with the fact that you’re burning more money owning one than most other machines out there.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
I used to think the same thing and put a lot of time and money into rebuilding my Mach Z. I learned a lot but took a huge loss on every dollar spent when selling it. It was a rewarding and frustrating ownership experience at the same time. It cost me more to rebuild the engine than I could get for the entire sled. The reality is that no matter how rare they are or how fun they are to ride, you’ve got to be comfortable with the fact that you’re burning more money owning one than most other machines out there.
Pennies compared to buying a new one, and hearing that $3500 + disappear the first push of the start button.....boats are WAY worse, you know that too.

Really, what high performance toy is any different? Old sleds are one of the least loss toys when you start comparing to any other ridable / drivable vehicle, wheter it drives, floats, flies, or.....well, we'll leave the ladies out of this :ROFLMAO: (y)

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
I will agree with above, and with the price of new sleds at an all time high, it makes more sense now than ever to rebuild an older sled. Thats if you aren’t stuck on having a new one of course. You could completely go through an older sled and have a very reliable ride for a fraction of new.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
OK...So thinking of doing something similar of purchasing one (05 Z) that needs a rebuild. Dont know much about it at this point. Whats a rough cost to do a full rebuild (crank and top end and whatever else should be done) on a 1000? All good points above and I fully understand what I might be getting myself into. Have been lurking around in here for a while, so know all the issues and have read some of the fixes.

·
Super Moderator
10,213 Posts
OK...So thinking of doing something similar of purchasing one (05 Z) that needs a rebuild. Dont know much about it at this point. Whats a rough cost to do a full rebuild (crank and top end and whatever else should be done) on a 1000? All good points above and I fully understand what I might be getting myself into. Have been lurking around in here for a while, so know all the issues and have read some of the fixes.
Roughly $3k to do it right, top to bottom, using OEM components- replating cylinders, domes, injector cleaning, everything touched…

1 - 20 of 29 Posts