Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Really, really, really super-freakin'-cool Mem
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1996 mxz 583. last night i noticed a fair sized puddle of oil on the garage floor under it, so naturally, i investigated. i can see the oil dripping real slow off of the belly pan onto the floor. lookin into the sled, the area under the motor is wet w/oil but all the lines appear to be connected and everything up top is dry and clean. the oil isnt leaking fast but it's a cause for concern to me, cuz i have a very limited budget and i dont want to have to fix this sled again. i just got it back 2 weeks ago and have only ridden 3 times, putting maybe 30 miles on it. when i picked it up, the mechanic told me he opened the oil pump a bit wider than stock, to make sure it's slightly rich so the sled doesnt seize again. could this be the problem or is it something else?

·
Registered
413 Posts
It could be from the rubber grommets that the fittings from the oil lines enter the oil tank. Also could be where the oil sensor unit goes into the bottom of the tank or the oil sensor unit it self.

oil tank parts pic

·
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
update: so i did a little looking early this afternoon. i checked the tank and fittings like ditchen suggested, but they're all dry. upon closer inspection, the front of the crankcase is oily. freshly oily too, not greasy-gunky oil. base gaskets loose? i re-torqued the head bolts. but im still a bit confused. the case is wet, but its not like the oil is running out of it. it started leaking yesterday, but its been sitting on its stand for the last week. *%@? im really confused. also, i looked at the plugs and pistons to check the fuel0air mix. the pto side plug and piston are a little rich, the mag side plug is brownish gray and the piston is gray, not black like the other. ideas? thanx.

·
Made Member
2,042 Posts
I'd say garage start syndrome. The pipe doesn't get hot enough to burn the oil off and it collects in the the pipe, then leaks out and makes a mess. With engine work being done, some may have spilled in the pan also.

Spray it down with simple green, hose it out and see if you get any more oil in the pan.

keep an eye on the oil consumption. A quart per 10 gallons of gas is a 40:1 mix.

·
1,564 Posts
could be, but the oil is dripping off the left side of the belly pan, not from the pipe. all i want to know is, is this problem dangerous for my sled? she gonna blow again somehow or she gonna be fine? if it seems like im bein paranoid here, i am. i just spent too much money fixing her and i don't, and won't, have money to fix her again for a while. know what im sayin? i just wanna ride my sled without catasrophic results.

·
Made Member
2,042 Posts
Hard to say where that oil might be coming from. Use the simple green and see if you get more oil in there.

If you are really worried, pull the y pipe and look to see that the pistons are not dry.

Also, this being a rotory valve engine, make sure the oil line to the rotor is in place and ok. This line plugs into the center of the casebetween the carbs.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have the same problem with my 97 summit 583 . check the bottom of the water pump housing where it meets the case . there is a weep hole there .If it is leaking there , the seal around the rotary shaft is probably bad . good luck .

·
Registered
352 Posts
Could be as simple as the tank it self came apart (top from the bottom). Mine did this last year. When I had a full tank, the oil would come out of the tank were the glue had let go. It was on the back side above the battery. It your battery or other parts are covered with oil that would be your problem. It was not a fun job replacing it . Seat off , gas tank out then the oil tank.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts