Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Since there's has been a few post about having parts stolen off sleds, I thought I'd share my idea to secure your side panels. I've read about how quick & easy

parts can be stolen off these new sleds, and how some on here have come up with great ideas to secure them. One I can think of, and will be doing myself, is the Skidoo Seat Lock.

http://www.dootalk.com/forums/topic/619930-ski-doo-seat-lock/page-6?hl=%2Blocking+%2Bseat#entry15383201

So my idea is this--- I'm out riding, and stop to eat. Where I have to park is way in the back of the restaurant, 100 ft from the entrance, and out of my eye site during my time there. So in time like this, along with the seat already being locked, I secure my panels with these Kanulock Straps.

http://kanulock.com/

They have two S.S. wires running inside the 1-1/2" wide strap, along the sides, and can't be cut with a knife. They roll up to fit inside a 6" X 6" bag that I found on Amazon, and will store either in the MXZ seat, or my extended glove box.

You just run the strap over your tank, through the floor opening, around the steering, through the other side floor opening, to the lock. The strap is very soft, so it won't scratch anything, and the lock has all rubber underneath it. The strap also happens to run right over your top panel rubber latches, so you can't even lift them. It only takes me about 30- 45 secs to put this on. For me- it's worth the piece of mind. Bonus --- The length of strap that is the perfect length is the 13 ft strap. That happens to be the Yellow Lock. Not quite Skidoo yellow, but yellow at least. How great is that!

Here' a pic with it on my Blizzard

Attachments

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A hundred bucks?

Now I'm worried they might steal my locks when I go in to pay for gas.... :smile_old:
A hundred bucks?

Now I'm worried they might steal my locks when I go in to pay for gas.... :smile_old:
Yea -- they are $89.00, but you get two. I have two 2016 Blizards, so I needed one for each sled, so that worked for me. Sell the other or give it to your riding buddy.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Its a real shame that measures like this need to be taken. I say rig some C4 to the sled for the thieves instead. Two types of folks I could live without, liars and thieves.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Its a real shame that measures like this need to be taken. I say rig some C4 to the sled for the thieves instead. Two types of folks I could live without, liars and thieves.
Yea this measure is a little extreme, but ask anyone who's had a spare belt stolen, only to find out down the trail when you need it, it wasn't there. or the guy that had his oil cap stolen to find oil burning onto his muffler down the trail. These are some stories I've heard, and I've heard some far worst. CVT covers stolen, clutches, batteries, and even the side panels themselves. It just sucks to have to worry about your sled when your out having a good time, and maybe these strap will help ease the worries some, and it's a simple thing to do.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
So what would stop somebody from just cutting the strap with a pocket knife? Or just ripping the panel off?
Obviously nothing would stop them if they were determined to get parts off a particular sled.

Fortunately in most cases a deterrent is all that is needed for a thief to look for easier pickin's.

The OP said that there are 2 stainless steel wires in the webbing. Imagine the fun the thief would have if he only had a knife. Sadly a thief would probably slash the seat in frustration.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
One simple idea if you are riding with friends who have older sleds is to "sandwich" the nicer sled(s) between the others. This prevents the panels from being opened easily and the thief would have to climb over sleds to get to the yummy ones.

This alone accomplishes one other important thing, it tells the thief that you are not alone.

Always try to park near a window.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Obviously nothing would stop them if they were determined to get parts off a particular sled.

Fortunately in most cases a deterrent is all that is needed for a thief to look for easier pickin's.

The OP said that there are 2 stainless steel wires in the webbing. Imagine the fun the thief would have if he only had a knife. Sadly a thief would probably slash the seat in frustration.
Probably right. At least you could prove to the insurance company that you went above and beyond trying to secure you sled.

·
old ski-dool
3,313 Posts
ultrarider, on 09 Mar 2016 - 1:59 PM, said:ultrarider, on 09 Mar 2016 - 1:59 PM, said:

I agree. Keyed Cam locks on the panels would be pretty simple. IMO
I really like this idea. I used to repair appliances years ago. I still have some of the round keyed lock cylinders with end cams on them from the coin-boxes of commercial units. I just might make this a summertime project on the sled. If it works, I will definitely post up results for everyone.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I really like this idea. I used to repair appliances years ago. I still have some of the round keyed lock cylinders with end cams on them from the coin-boxes of commercial units. I just might make this a summertime project on the sled. If it works, I will definitely post up results for everyone.
Yea that would be good. I was looking into some way of using them as well, but couldn't come up with anything. Plus I didn't want to have to drill holes into the panels of my Brand new sleds, and though the panels are not rigid enough to prevent any flexing which a their may still be able to pry open. The strap however lay in the panels contour, where they can't be flexed or moved to get them off. Definitely like to see what you come up with.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts