Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
I haven't quite owned this sled for a year yet but it seems like an eternity. This thing has fought me almost from word go!

It all started last March when a fellow collector told me he wanted to sell an "extra" 1991 mx-X......seeing how it was all there but in need of restoration I just couldn't pass it up...right?
43d07d092d33367610f5b054908f71d2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: FastD00

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
I got a fairly early start on restoring it late fall/early winter.
77dcc02370026b699b21b6684435a7ee.jpg
this sled had obviously been raced, confirmation was the wire tied hardware on the front and rear suspension as well as extra gussets on the trailing arms. Notice the solid ski spindles, another one off feature of the mx-X. There is speculation that this particular sled could have been race prepared by none other than Gerard Karpik himself.

Reactions: johnniev57

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Once I got all of the sled torn down and assembled a parts list I did what I normally do. I called my local zinc plater and told them to expect a shipment of hardware to be plated.

Then I was informed that they were no longer plating for individuals only large businesses and manufacturers.

Bummer

Soooooo....I let my fingers do the walking and found another company in central Wisconsin that agreed to do my plating! Problem solved!

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Or so I thought!!! When I got the first batch back from them the hardware was almost solid gold
57f1edb78977cc2c59baf5743dafaead.jpg

A typical "hexavalent yellow zinc" plating normally has a greenish/red/gold tint to it. This was not the case.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Soon after that I got the second batch of some of the brackets and larger hardware and I realized that there was definitely a problem. The larger hardware had to be rack plated rather than barrel plated and they used a different product for the different processes. NO GOOD!
cb27bac940b643ed03c8fa29a002859a.jpg

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I finally found another company closer to home that used the correct color for both rack and barrel plating. Now I have $300 in having the bolts and brackets refinished.....twice

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Then I moved onto the hood while waiting for the plating to get done the second time. As most of you know the 91-93 Mx's were a three stage paint being pearl white. I tried to have the original color matched and to no surprise the first try failed. The third coat separated from the second SOOOOOOOO........it got to get sprayed .......again.... It turned out pretty good but the color is a little bit too white. I will just have to be sure to steer clear of any other Mx's at any shows
68503cf01c1cef07a7a07bc168d7dc45.jpg

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tried to take a short cut even though I knew better. The tunnel could have been touched up but the bulkhead was nice so I WAS going to have the tunnel painted and bulk head left alone so I took it to my body man with specific instructions just to strip and paint the foot well areas only!

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There must have been a breakdown of communication because his guy started to strip the entire thing.....ugghhhh!
41901fae6c6dcca4daa9179305a659fb.jpg

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So just like everything else on this sled.....the tunnel and bulkhead had to be done....yup...that's right.....TWICE!

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The good part is there is a local Powdercoating shop that has a 9'x7'x30' oven and they finished stripping it and powdercoated it for $200!!!!! It turned out pretty good!
93e0a2d0d30f685e90b73041eaca3989.jpg

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
While waiting for the tunnel and hardware I had the exhaust ceramic coated and the rest of the small parts and pieces powdercoated as well.
bc6016a34c7c759b8ff4c76c2eee515b.jpg

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I told my wife I was going out to the garage to finish unpacking from the Waconia show after dinner tonight. That lasted all of 30 seconds and I found myself sorting through nuts, bolts and hardware organizing it for where it goes. Next thing I knew it was 10 o'clock!
0460850878ce9463559adb0f0d224bad.jpg

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I might get a in a few hours working on it in the next week but next weekend is Ride With the Champs at St Germain so I have to get 6 more sleds drug out to get ready for that. Hopefully I will have it all done by the end of February.
f627e54535645ab6f5f5a95cebdf87d5.jpg

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Very nice!

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
What a great story, and wait to see the finished product.
Looking forward to info / pics of that crazy skid frame too !

·
Registered
486 Posts
This sled is cursed! ;-) end result will be amazing!
When you removed the paint on the tunnel you had it sandblasted?

·
Registered
7,405 Posts
Despite the rocky start it appears that you will have the nicest 91 MXx in existance ! Can you share the platers info with us , or PM if you prefer ?

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This sled is cursed! ;-) end result will be amazing!
When you removed the paint on the tunnel you had it sandblasted?

powder coating is very difficult to sandblast, the shop that I had strip and refinish it uses a product similar to B-17, it is a liquid that you either spray on or submerse in, 10 minutes later you have bare metal, highly corrosive and very hard on skin.
Despite the rocky start it appears that you will have the nicest 91 MXx in existance ! Can you share the platers info with us , or PM if you prefer ?

I use a company out of Rockford Illinois called Chem Processing. They do nice work but aren't afraid to charge for it either, right now I am paying almost 3x what I was before. I had a few growing pains working with them in the beginning but it all worked out.

Reactions: htwin
1 - 20 of 86 Posts