Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
So I've just got the skud factory low elevation kit in mine and I ride flatland, personally I think my clutches work fine, they hold rpm, don't over rev, I even think the backshift is ok, would I really feel an improvement with a DJ kit? And what's the price on them? Are the kits exchange units for your old clutch?
Night and Day difference and kit is complete. The only thing you are going to be disappointed about is that you waited this long to pull the trigger!

·
Metalhead
9,232 Posts
So I've just got the skud factory low elevation kit in mine and I ride flatland, personally I think my clutches work fine, they hold rpm, don't over rev, I even think the backshift is ok, would I really feel an improvement with a DJ kit? And what's the price on them? Are the kits exchange units for your old clutch?
Stock clutching is sufficient for 95+% of sled owners. As a new season rolls on, a portion (4% or less) of owners will find deficiencies in their clutching performance.

I can remember my new 08 and 13 800s thinking to myself - "holy cow, Im gona have my work cut out for me to find something that is better than this". Very pleased at first blush with stock clutching. Time went on and started to test different things.

Another portion won't say deficiency, rather comment on "getting used to this new sled". Their driving skills, using the sled in their particular location, advance at being able to handle the sled better & impose heavier burdens to ask of the current sled capacity.

The driver runs harder and paying attention to the sled more and has moments of slight disappointment - a little here, a little there - then starts to weigh in the mind comparing the circumstances of a past and current event that just happened.

• "...what can I do about the engine power or clutch calibration or suspension setting"

; they would like a bit better in sidehilling or a little better for longer pulls or quicker bursts without trenching in the trees or better here when I do this or better there when I do that...

All my clutch kits do is fill in little gaps of a small deficiency that test guys including myself find.

If you conclude that the performance of the sled works fine and are satisfied with it, then save your money for gas/oil/maintenance and stay stock clutching until you think "i need a bit more now"

·
Registered
190 Posts
Night and Day difference and kit is complete. The only thing you are going to be disappointed about is that you waited this long to pull the trigger!
I can say it is night and day! The doo low elevation kit is junk IMO now that I have used the DJ DE kit. Less belt dust and pulls harder for longer!. 300+ happy miles so far.

Reactions: Corrupted

·
Registered
10 Posts
Anyone able to confirm which clutch kit is the correct one for a my 2016 174 Summit X T3? Or know how to get hold of Joe?

I believe it's this kit:

800 Etec - North America w/413 ramp - Summit, FR, T3, (2.25~3.0 tracks

but could be this one:

800 T3 Summit clutching (all elevations)

Have tried to reach out via their contact page but no response as of yet. With 2 boys under 2 my time to work on the sled is limited so I'm trying to purchase it with enough time to actually get the kit installed prior to the season.

Also - any recommendation on ramps? He says 438 ramps are for the 2.8-3.25" tracks (mine are 3") but also offers his DJ mountain ramps (415/441) - as I ride the mountains, this options intrigues me.

Thanks for any help.

·
1,477 Posts
Well I have been selling and setting up some of DJ's 800 E-Tec XP / XS / XM clutch kits .
IMO these sleds with 146-172 tracks should come right out of the box setup with his setup .
Yesterday I put a kit in a 2015 freeride 800 146 .
With the stock clutching low elevation clutching it just felt flat and lazy back shifting not what a 17,000$ sled should feel like.
With DJ's kit in, the back shift feels like a old Honda CR500 dirt bike in 1st gear.
And throttle response is way better.
The guy that owns this sled took it out and said wow I did not think I could of loved my sled any more but now I do.
Stock clutching is sufficient for 95+ % of sled owners.
As a new season rolls on, a portion (4 % or less) of owners will find deficiencies in their clutching performance.

I can remember my new ( 2008 ) and ( 2013 ) 800 sleds thinking to myself - "holy cow, Im gona have my work cut out for me to find something that is better than this".
Very pleased at first blush with stock clutching.
Time went on and started to test different things.

Another portion won't say deficiency, rather comment on "getting used to this new sled".
Their driving skills, using the sled in their particular location, advance at being able to handle the sled better & impose heavier burdens to ask of the current sled capacity.

The driver runs harder and paying attention to the sled more and has moments of slight disappointment
- a little here, a little there - then starts to weigh in the mind comparing the circumstances of a past and current event that just happened.
  • "...what can I do about the engine power or clutch calibration or suspension setting"
; they would like a bit better in sidehilling or a little better for longer pulls or quicker bursts without trenching in the trees or better here when I do this or better there when I do that...

All my clutch kits do is fill in little gaps of a small deficiency that test guys including myself find.

If you conclude that the performance of the sled works fine and are satisfied with it,
then save your money for gas/oil/maintenance and stay stock clutching until you think "I need a bit more now"

One of my sleds is a ( 2013 ) Freeride 154" 800 E-Tec.
It is only used at low altitudes between: 1200 ~ 2700 ft.
Current gearing: 19/49

I have no problem with burnt/worn drive belts,
but I am convinced that there is a lack of clutching efficiency down low.

Suggestions for clutch parts that would work wonders for the height at which the sled is used ?

21 - 28 of 28 Posts