Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried and tried again to get my machine to fire. I first thought I flooded the crankcase and kept fouling plugs. I drained the fuel, put in new plugs and still no pop. I have spark from both and I have fuel in the floats, I can pull the machine over about 10 times and then huge backfire. Any ideas? Want to ride bad! This sled has always started very well so I'm baffled.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
just a shot it the dark but my freinds arctic cat did the same thing last weekend and it was a frozen fuel pump. get yourself a steaming hot bucket of water and pour it over the carbs and fuel pump then if it runs make sure you put some iso it the engine good luck i hope it works

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a bunch, but I should have wrote that the sled has been inside a heated garage. I also forgot to write that I had poured a bit of fuel down each cylinder and it didn't pop then either. I know that usually always works. Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you're keeping it in a heated garage, and it's really cold out, there will be condensation present in the fuel, and it may be causing some grief.
Cold sled into warm garage= water in fuel, especially if the tank is not topped up after a ride.

I was trying to start our Summit 800 at -30 and after about 10 pulls in a row, a backfire and then the next time it caught. Don't give it throttle while pulling, it'll make it worse.

Some times the lanyard is not on tight enough, too, and that can cause starting problems.

·
Registered
9,148 Posts
mikes99ss said:
just a shot it the dark but my freinds arctic cat did the same thing last weekend and it was a frozen fuel pump. get yourself a steaming hot bucket of water and pour it over the carbs and fuel pump then if it runs make sure you put some iso it the engine good luck i hope it works

[snapback]288616[/snapback]​
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Don't go near that sled with water! Use a hair dryer, and defrost what you need to. Water will get everywhere and cause you all sorts of other headaches.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I checked my compression in each of the cylinders and I'm only getting 30-40 psi in each, way to low I'm assuming. Possible ring failure? Any ideas what to do next? Any other tests?

·
REV XP Nut
1,248 Posts
Yup its done or try a little oil in cylenders to help rings seal then try compression should have at least 100 per to run so so

1 - 8 of 8 Posts