Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 05' GSX 500ss Sport. I would like to pass on what I believe to be smart upgrades. I am 200 lbs, 43 y/o, agressive rider.

Keep in mind I like to modify things for performance over looks. Besides Red Line Oil I left the motor alone. And a few other minor misc mods. Much of my research was here on Doo Talk and HardCore Sledder

The major MODS:

What I have done is to install a Tracks USA 136" rail extension & tunnel extension, 1 1/4' Ripsaw track with 108 studs. The Ripsaw, I think is worth its weight in gold over the stock track. I wish Doo would put this on standard. I found the advantage of the 136" track makes hooking up so much better. That Ripsaw really digs in so well with its finger design.

To compensate for the 136 extension I dropped from a 22 tooth to a 21 tooth top gear in the chain case. Overall, trail riding is also improved. Especially in the bumps. It just seems to soak up/ smooth out the bumps that much better though I will admit any REV chassie is superior to regular non rider forward chassies.

There are pluses and minuses of a 121 to a 136. For trail riding I loved the 121 for its flickability. Power sliding into/out of corners. I am still able to do this on the 136 but it is harder to do so. The 136 really likes to hook up better, both braking into and accelerating out of corners. Of course the 136 helps in the deeper powder though this is not a strong point of the Ripsaw. But a 136 Ripsaw will perform better than a 121 stock track in powder.

Getting away form the track I also replaced all four shocks with Penske Racing aluminum bodied shocks form Custom Axis. They are closing out these shocks and bacuse of this they are blowing them out at $350 while supplies last. Regular price was over $800 each. I thought my HPG VR, HPG rear shocks were OK but the front Motion Control were not something to be desired. To keep the sled balanced I decided to do all four at the same time. They were custom built for my riding style and weight.

The track upgrade ran $700, the shocks were $1400 with myself doing all the labor. Looking back I could have been happy with just the shock upgrade though I am really happy with the track upgrade too. Those Penske shocks are soooo sweet! A 121 is so much fun whipping it around, great for trails but suffers a bit in powder. Tough to get all the 500ss ponies to the ground.

As a 136 is also great on trails. I can ride faster with more confidence, sometimes a perhaps dangerous thing? But it out-preforms when off trail/powder. And those ponies are hooking up much better. Though a track upgrade is in order for a 121 also.

All said and done my friends and I max out on their Cat F's at 35 mph on bumpy trails. On my REV 121 I would do 60 mph on the same trail/bumps. On the 136 I am easily doing 70 mph and climbing, literally laughing all the time while doing so. Not to mention I am using AT LEAST 3 gallions LESS of gas per TANK than them! Man these REV's are fun.....

G

·
Thanks for those upgrade idea`s. I`d love to doo some of that stuff but coming up with the money is the tricky part. Maybe a little here a little there!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Let'see some pics? Mines an 04 with 440 fronts, 440 rear springs, mxz rear shock, 1.25 ripsaw, 440 bars/riser. What a difference.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts