Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was riding in Cadillac yesterday when I blew two bottom cogs off my Dayco XTX5034 going about 90mph.
When it belt trashed out, handle bars vibrated Bad.
I Stopped and changed to my spare belt, it still had vibration.
Pulled the PB80 apart and noticed the spring holder had 2 out of the 3 bolt tangs broken.

Where can I just the spring holder?

If I can't get one in a timely manner I may just machine one myself.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
doo doc has them for sure not to far from cadilac don't know if he is open today I will pm you his cell number his name is Brian

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Using that spring do not use plastic spring retainer, if you have one. Not enough clearance in spring cup when it's compressed

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
doo doc has them for sure not to far from cadilac don't know if he is open today I will pm you his cell number his name is Brian
Thank you for the reply.
I just came up to Cadillac area for a one day trip and came back to south haven with a broken heart.
But my snow tracker test was a success.
You never know where he may be on supper bowl Sunday?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Using that spring do not use plastic spring retainer, if you have one. Not enough clearance in spring cup when it's compressed
Interesting, I have the plastic guide in mine, and I think Bill helped set this snowmobile himself.
I just did tests with my spring compressor, your right, the spring does bind in the plastic.
Do they make differen plastic holders, or just remove the holder.

·
ride hard or die trying
7,800 Posts
Interesting, I have the plastic guide in mine, and I think Bill helped set this snowmobile himself.
I just did tests with my spring compressor, your right, the spring does bind in the plastic.
Do they make differen plastic holders, or just remove the holder.
How did you check for binding

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Whats with all these PB80 problems.............?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
PB80's for the most part are trouble free. If you follow the threads where something has happened to a PB80 it is usually due to operator error such as above. Wrong spring, loose outer cap etc. I surely would not say that they have any issues common to all and the few that have been reported to this site are just that "the few". If you buy one off the shelf with CV Tech's set up and just bolt it on you will have miles and miles of trouble free use. Likewise with the mods, change springs and throw away the holder unless using CV Tech springs and you will not have any issues either. However, that is not to say that they all work 100% of the time or that none of them ever where out or break but this appears to be more than a reliable clutch and very low maintenance which makes it a great alternative to the person who wants to upgrade his old TRA or E-Drive and does not want to have to keep adjusting or replacing parts every 1000 miles or so.

I have 7000 miles on mine and have only taken it apart to change the spring and get the puck count right plus to clean. With compressed air the need to disassemble is a long time between as well. IMHO.

Reactions: wowchad

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
shouldn't be a plastic spring holder in there
Actually there should, along with a real powerblock spring.

This is a very nice piece to have to keep the spring from turning the spring cup into just aluminum dust as the spring grinds into it.

There real answer is to only use Powerblock springs that are smaller diameter than a Team or Doo spring and use the spring guide.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Thanks Mike, I was trying to remember what setup was in that sled when John bought that sled from me, I probably have it written down in an old book somewhere, but that was probably six sleds ago for me..

U getting any miles in yours this season?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts