Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hard to tell if your filter area is any larger than the area of the turbo if not I wouldn't expect much ram air effect? Especially if the filter gets some fine snow on it?馃か

think about it a little and examine .... it's not only the surface, but above all that the path that the air has to travel is reduced by more than half, less 90 掳 corner which is very restrictive as d origin, ram air effects (forced air induction). only advantages.

more over when did you see this part your snowmobiles filled with snow?? never in trail condition. off-piste its something else, but this piece isn't dedicated to that application either.

boost junkie
there is no problem with the air going into the 900 ...the problem is the air leaving the turbo

Registered
The turbo is going to get it's air one way or another and in my experience all the intake mods will gain little to nothing.

Registered
22 Ski-Doo Mach Z & 22 Renegade X 900R
There is no question that a short 7 degree included angle air intake is the best it can be for any application.

The air intake path through the hood is designed to reduce Noise emissions Per EPA regulations, in doing so does pose some restriction.

There will be measurable gains with this system, although they might be small on a stock sled but as modifications mount the gains will be larger.

I have been hand fabricating turbo air inlets like this for decades so I recognize the potential advantage.

Some one Much smarter than me taught me about this 30 years ago.

Good Job.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There is no question that a short 7 degree included angle air intake is the best it can be for any application.

The air intake path through the hood is designed to reduce Noise emissions Per EPA regulations, in doing so does pose some restriction.

There will be measurable gains with this system, although they might be small on a stock sled but as modifications mount the gains will be larger.

I have been hand fabricating turbo air inlets like this for decades so I recognize the potential advantage.

Some one Much smarter than me taught me about this 30 years ago.

Good Job.

someone much smarter than me just wrote this comment. Thanks

Registered
think about it a little and examine .... it's not only the surface, but above all that the path that the air has to travel is reduced by more than half, less 90 掳 corner which is very restrictive as d origin, ram air effects (forced air induction). only advantages.

more over when did you see this part your snowmobiles filled with snow?? never in trail condition. off-piste its something else, but this piece isn't dedicated to that application either.
I come from the mountain sled side and yes I have run the venting in that area for clutch cooling and have seen it completely covered in snow. Even though I now have the 22 XRS it is still an off trail machine so that is why I made the comment.
You will get a more direct path for air flow for sure but unless you are riding very fasts gains will be minimal because you have the screen as well. IMO
My first ram air car was a new 1970 Chevelle with cowl induction SS 454 so not a newbie. Enjoy your new ram air.;)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I come from the mountain sled side and yes I have run the venting in that area for clutch cooling and have seen it completely covered in snow. Even though I now have the 22 XRS it is still an off trail machine so that is why I made the comment.
You will get a more direct path for air flow for sure but unless you are riding very fasts gains will be minimal because you have the screen as well. IMO
My first ram air car was a new 1970 Chevelle with cowl induction SS 454 so not a newbie. Enjoy your new ram air.;)

the screen is only 6% restriction. and of course everyone knows very well that regardless of the performance part, the gains at low speed are very minimal.

I also have a 1200 turbo 2867R gen2, and at low speed the turbo vacuums and does not boost. no use having a turbo, but who puts on performance accessories so as not to see their gain or improvement?

nothing happens at low speed.

Registered
I like that idea !! The more i look and ride my 900R : the more i find the engine bay gets VERY hot ! How about the same on the right side, but as a cooling duck for the turbo and down pipe and some heat shield for the oil filter ... with a heat extractor on the panel ? That would be as sweet as it gets ! That oil filter is getting cooked in there !

Fresh air gets in from the front but dont have an escape path ...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I like that idea !! The more i look and ride my 900R : the more i find the engine bay gets VERY hot ! How about the same on the right side, but as a cooling duck for the turbo and down pipe and some heat shield for the oil filter ... with a heat extractor on the panel ? That would be as sweet as it gets ! That oil filter is getting cooked in there !

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Registered
I changed my hood air intake vents to the ones used on the 850's. Its double the air intake opening space. My BOV is piped into the intake filter housing and I can clearly hear that working now with the bigger opening.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts