Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Then BRP went and offers a 4 year B to B warranty thereby eliminating one of the biggest reasons I was set on going 4 stroke (cost of fixing a broken 2 stroke). In 4 years I would be able to buy the 4 stroke of my dreams, they just don't make it quite yet!

Decisions, decisions. Any input from you guys?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
The cost of fixing a 2 or 4 stroke sled is only part of the equation .Things you need to consider are ....... How far will you be when your sled decides to go for a poop??? How long will you be down & not riding because you are waiting for parts or your dealer is to busy to fix it right away ???

For me the season is usually very short , not like this year , so being on the sidelines for 3 weeks could be 1/2 the season gone. The one time when my 500 SS motor went down I was along way from home ( 600 miles). It did cost me $$$ but could of turned out a lot worse had things not fallen in place for me.

·
Super Moderator
29,350 Posts
Warranty or not, look at resale.

Take a 2 year old 800X and a 1200X, both with say 6,500 miles on them.

What one would you buy?

Just because they'll fix it doesn't mean its right.

·
Registered
754 Posts
You guys get 4 years in the US , looks like us Canadians only get 2 with the option of one more so 3 years not 4 up here .

3-YEAR BUMBPER-TO-BUMPER WARRANTY ON SUMMIT AND FREERIDE
or
2-YEAR BUMBPER-TO-BUMPER WARRANTY ON ALL OTHER MODELS †

CHOOSE ONE OF THESE OPTIONS:
1) One additional year bumper-to-bumper warranty
2) Free rMotion Quick Adjust System ∞
3) Free Electric Start ∞

·
Administrator - East Coast Tony
900T XRS
55,246 Posts
My 2 stroke days are over.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
You guys are making some good, legitimate points. I won't pretend that I'm overly confident in the durability of the 800, I'm not, but they do seem to be holding up somewhat better over the last couple of seasons?? I did have the resale conversation with my dealer. He indicated to me that come trade-in time that it would not matter whether a 2 or 4 stroke was under the hood. That's just what my dealer said to me. I found it odd myself but what can I tell you? As far as repair time, yeah I agree, losing riding time plain bites. But I can say this, I've been buying motorsports equipment from these guys since the late 80's and they've always treated me right and when you buy from them you go to the head of the line as far as getting in for service. Of course back ordered parts from BRP are another story entirely! Again, this is only my case, but I need to weigh it into my decision.

I have to say I really do like the blk/orange 1200 Gade X, but I AM guilty of being seduced by that sexy XS bodywork!!

·
Super Moderator
29,350 Posts
^^^ All good points too. I'd also agree I think BRP (finally?) has the 800 nailed. I'm also with you on the XS bodywork.

·
Registered
13,874 Posts
Do you trust your dealer to do a rebuild on an 800?... Sure everyone thinks it's great that doo offered free pistons but who's installing them? Like mentioned above, I have so little time to ride that a burn down would likely cost me the entire season. I will say this..... My 600 e-tecs were so reliable that I hesitated to trade them even though they had almost 10,000mi. on each. BTW, I paid 500 bucks per sled for 4 year bumper to bumper extended warranty on my 1200's.. I'm still not really sure why I did that especially since I got a whopping 5 days of riding in all season this year. Peace of mind I guess. I'd hate to lose a stator and be stuck with the bill.

Reactions: ditchcrusher

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
All Things Being Equal, Dollar And Reliability Wise....For My Kind Of Riding I'd Choose The 1200 Over The 800 Every Single Time.

So Your Needs For This New Sled Are As Big Of Factors As Anything.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Do you trust your dealer to do a rebuild on an 800?... Sure everyone thinks it's great that doo offered free pistons but who's installing them? Like mentioned above, I have so little time to ride that a burn down would likely cost me the entire season. I will say this..... My 600 e-tecs were so reliable that I hesitated to trade them even though they had almost 10,000mi. on each. BTW, I paid 500 bucks per sled for 4 year bumper to bumper extended warranty on my 1200's.. I'm still not really sure why I did that especially since I got a whopping 5 days of riding in all season this year. Peace of mind I guess. I'd hate to lose a stator and be stuck with the bill.
The season is not over yet ... just got back from a 2 day little short of 500 mile ride in Quebec. Perfect trails still.

Pack up and go ride !

·
Super Moderator
29,350 Posts
Or Tug Hill - its closer. Our trails are excellent! I've done over 1000 miles in the last 10 days. As my buddy said of our Thursday night ride, "these trails are ridiculously smooth".

He was right.

Reactions: 06'500ss

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I do trust the ability of the people at the dealership to know how to properly do the repairs. They are a long time Ski-Doo dealership with a good reputation for service, and I believe that they could do a quality job if the need would arise. But I'm kind of OCD and I really hate when something gets wrecked or breaks. I'm not sure I completely trust ANYBODY to make it as good as new.

·
Administrator - East Coast Tony
900T XRS
55,246 Posts
All Things Being Equal, Dollar And Reliability Wise....For My Kind Of Riding I'd Choose The 1200 Over The 800 Every Single Time.

HaHaHa!

Still with the capitols.

Lots to concider, I've done 1700 miles this season and with only gas and checking chain tension.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts

This is probably the second biggest reason I'm even considering a 2 stroke. The 10% of the time I ditch ride and like to bust the drifts and soft powder! It's not a lot, and I could live with staying out of the deep drifts if I had to, but I'd miss it. Having said that, I've owned much heavier sleds in my day (PRS, CK3, F) and still had a great time! Of course I was a little younger then too!

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
If you think you'll be in a little powder once in awhile, replace the stock skis on the 1200 with some 6.9's. It will help keep the front of the sled (where the extra weight is) up on the snow better.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
TTT

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
This is probably the second biggest reason I'm even considering a 2 stroke. The 10% of the time I ditch ride and like to bust the drifts and soft powder! It's not a lot, and I could live with staying out of the deep drifts if I had to, but I'd miss it. Having said that, I've owned much heavier sleds in my day (PRS, CK3, F) and still had a great time! Of course I was a little younger then too!
renegade with wider skis and a skid plate.... she'll go a lot of places! I've had mine in some pretty deep stuff and never got her stuck. I had her off trail in the western UP and had no problems

1 - 18 of 18 Posts