Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
installed ducks floating secondary was riding about 10000 feet elevation 15 inches of powder with 3 good running apexes first long hill 200yards i hit the hill rpm at 8000 off of start quickly dropped to 7500 and wouldnt come back checked my clutches at the bottom of the hill hot as hell and could smell the belt put my stock alignment back in and hit the hill 3 more times rpm right at 8000 no problems i think his idea should work awesome seems every other sleds secondary floats but didnt work for me i am going to try and set it up with less float and see what happens just my .02 i will report on what i find
 

·
Sponsors
Joined
·
3,964 Posts
I built my own and it is alittle different, a double taper design The large size supports the outboard side of clutch. I only float 0.050, 0.025 in and 0.025 out from proper fixed alignment. Works wonderful for me, I do a hard climb in deep powder and check my clutches and they are just warm I can hold my hand on both, my secondary is just bearly warm & the primary is just alittle warmer. They used to be spit sizzling HOT and trash belts left and rite not any more I don't even have belt dust anywhere. I run Joe's S8X with 19-pin wt, My handmade side vents, My floating clutch spacer, My Ported clutch cover. Tool kit relocated, My set up works great for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Idahodoo said:
I built my own and it is alittle different, a double taper design The large size supports the outboard side of clutch. I only float 0.050, 0.025 in and 0.025 out from proper fixed alignment. Works wonderful for me, I do a hard climb in deep powder and check my clutches and they are just warm I can hold my hand on both, my secondary is just bearly warm & the primary is just alittle warmer. They used to be spit sizzling HOT and trash belts left and rite not any more I don't even have belt dust anywhere. I run Joe's S8X with 19-pin wt, My handmade side vents, My floating clutch spacer, My Ported clutch cover. Tool kit relocated, My set up works great for me.

[snapback]736294[/snapback]​
yeah i believe it is a good idea i just think my is floating to far like 1/4 inch and it causes the belt to bind and wont come into alignment as far as your sled set up it sounds very similar to mine

05 rev 800 151
van amberg drop and roll
djs clutch kit
slp flowrites everywere
ported clutch cover
slp can
slp high alt head
mild porting
ceramic coated stock pipe
ect ect ect
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,348 Posts
Its important that you allow for movement to the inside as well like idahodoo does... I have only the large cup washer installed (removed 2 shims from stock set-up)

 

·
Ski-doo crash test dummy
Joined
·
1,062 Posts
Idahodoo said:
I built my own and it is alittle different, a double taper design The large size supports the outboard side of clutch. I only float 0.050, 0.025 in and 0.025 out from proper fixed alignment. Works wonderful for me, I do a hard climb in deep powder and check my clutches and they are just warm I can hold my hand on both, my secondary is just bearly warm & the primary is just alittle warmer. They used to be spit sizzling HOT and trash belts left and rite not any more I don't even have belt dust anywhere. I run Joe's S8X with 19-pin wt, My handmade side vents, My floating clutch spacer, My Ported clutch cover. Tool kit relocated, My set up works great for me.

[snapback]736294[/snapback]​

Idahodoo,
Soooo, when you gonna have them panel vents and floating secondary kits available to sell to your Doo-Talk pals?????
Pokie is only 2 hrs from me, I'll come get 'em! (Need to buy something for sled, haven't put any money, outside of gas and oh yeah, BELTS!!!, into sled in almost two weeks, don't want her to get the idea I don't love 'er no more!) (LOL!)
 

·
Sponsors
Joined
·
3,964 Posts
Sno-Bull I had the fabric store get 5 colors ordered blue, red, orange, white & black to check if the colors match the Doo colors and getting the frames cut out so it won't be long and the cooling vents will be ready for both sides. I will have Pics & prices soon.
 

·
Ski-doo crash test dummy
Joined
·
1,062 Posts
Idahodoo said:
Sno-Bull I had the fabric store get 5 colors ordered blue, red, orange, white & black to check if the colors match the Doo colors and getting the frames cut out so it won't be long and the cooling vents will be ready for both sides. I will have Pics & prices soon.
[snapback]744033[/snapback]​

Right on! How bout your floating secondary kit, any thoughts on sellin that too?
Do you cut out your frames for the panel vents with a plasma cutter? If so, have you considered some custom work? I think a flame shaped polished frame with orange fabric for my black side panels and yellow fabric for the hood would look, well, pretty friggin' HOT! I'd be willin' to pay a bit more for the custom work of course! (You could make a killin' off the guys like me off this site, we'll buy anything for our sleds!) ("Don't know what it is but at that price, I'll take two!!") (LOL!)
Can't wait to see what ya come up with!!!!!!
Thanks!

Later!
 

·
Sponsors
Joined
·
3,964 Posts
I'm thinking about it, but one thing at a time I have to have time to ride.
 

·
Ski-doo crash test dummy
Joined
·
1,062 Posts
Idahodoo said:
I'm thinking about it, but one thing at a time I have to have time to ride.

[snapback]744830[/snapback]​
I hear ya, great summer project, eh?
Hey, I'll just look for more info on your side panel cooling thread from now on.
Kinda got away from the submitters thread on this one. (Sorry bud!)
Look for ya on your thread!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,899 Posts
Just curious: The jackshaft bearing behind the secondary has no locking collar on the bearing it relies on the secondary pulley to be tight so the bearing will not turn on the shaft, any issues with this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,348 Posts
Ski-B said:
Just curious: The jackshaft bearing behind the secondary has no locking collar on the bearing it relies on the secondary pulley to be tight so the bearing will not turn on the shaft, any issues with this?
[snapback]745362[/snapback]​
No issues on my 2004 renegade 800 X and its been run this way (floating secondary) for over 4000 km's.....same belt too....although, I may install a new belt this weekend....

 

·
Sponsors
Joined
·
3,964 Posts
NO problem with my bearing, I have about 500 miles on it after I started floating the clutch.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top