Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Just got a phone call from the shop saying my sled was ready for p/u. 2nd SHOT capacitor in 2 years. They couldn't replicate the recoil starter failing to engage and said that the vibration was 'normal'.

On the last ride of the season, I simply couldn't make it home. The pain was too much. So I traded with a buddy. The last half hour left his hands numb and he wanted to trade back. We also compared my sled with another buddy's - a 2020 Backcountry X. They were floored at the difference.

Unfortunately at this point I have to pre-empt the 'stop death gripping' and 'learn to ride' remarks. We're all seasoned riders with 40+ years riding - each. Additionally, I hold professional certification as a riding instructor. I - and we - know what were talking about.

I installed anti-vibe risers, which have helped considerably. While the difference isn't huge, it is enough to triple the distance before I have to take a break.

Surely I can't be the only one out there with such buzzy bars. While I'm far more prone to injury from vibration, this doesn't make the vibration any less real.

I just got a set of anti-vibe bar ends that I tested on my 6x6. Noticeable difference at idle, no noticeable difference at speed. So I highly doubt they will make a difference on my sled.

Would love to hear any thoughts / ideas / similar experiences.

Edit; Reached out through my personal tech net and got some info (2nd hand). The TL;DR is that doo tweaked the '20 engines in a bunch of small ways, most of which was to beef things up for the turbo. One of these tweaks was crank counterbalance. So the '19 850's were vibey af. The 20's, not so much. This doesn't help me at all, lmao :D

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
Would this sled happen to have a GNR red torque stop motor mount on the from L/H motor mount?

Stock exhaust pipe or aftermarket? Some of the aftermarket pipes the steering column with rub on the pipe and transfer an ugly vibe to the bars.

Reactions: Mac_SH

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would this sled happen to have a GNR red torque stop motor mount on the from L/H motor mount?

Stock exhaust pipe or aftermarket? Some of the aftermarket pipes the steering column with rub on the pipe and transfer an ugly vibe to the bars.
Unknown to the first and stock to the second. I did have the front end apart this winter and didn't notice any interference between the exhaust and steering, but I wasn't looking for it either, so I can't rule it out.

May I ask more about the GNR red torque stop mount? There are 2 techs at my local shop. One always goes the extra mile. The other ... let's just say he doesn't. You can guess which one I got this time.

·
Ski-Doo Guru
13,819 Posts
Just got a phone call from the shop saying my sled was ready for p/u. 2nd SHOT capacitor in 2 years. They couldn't replicate the recoil starter failing to engage and said that the vibration was 'normal'.
On the last ride of the season, I simply couldn't make it home. The pain was too much. So I traded with a buddy. The last half hour left his hands numb and he wanted to trade back. We also compared my sled with another buddy's - a 2020 Backcountry X. They were floored at the difference.
Unfortunately at this point I have to pre-empt the 'stop death gripping' and 'learn to ride' remarks. We're all seasoned riders with 40+ years riding - each. Additionally, I hold professional certification as a riding instructor. I - and we - know what were talking about.
I installed anti-vibe risers, which have helped considerably. While the difference isn't huge, it is enough to triple the distance before I have to take a break.
Surely I can't be the only one out there with such buzzy bars. While I'm far more prone to injury from vibration, this doesn't make the vibration any less real.
I just got a set of anti-vibe bar ends that I tested on my 6x6. Noticeable difference at idle, no noticeable difference at speed. So I highly doubt they will make a difference on my sled.
Would love to hear any thoughts / ideas / similar experiences.
Motor likely on its way out. Many had problems with the flywheel and SHOT could be ready to explode.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Motor likely on its way out. Many had problems with the flywheel and SHOT could be ready to explode.
Flywheel issues would certainly cause excessive vibration and considering that SHOT uses the magneto to spin said flywheel ... you may have found the common thread. Going to have a chat with the service guy when I go down Wed.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
Check your primary clutch and see if the index marks line up?

Last resort...as mentioned. Pull the flywheel off and see if there is anything loose in there. 800 etecs i have seen the tin backing plate come loose and magnets starting to fracture up. They would vibrate like crazy. But the excessive crank run out on... was the reason for destroying the flywheel. Good Luck.

·
Banshee Builder
7,821 Posts
my 2019 has always had a vibration at the handlebars. like when the sled is not moving and warming up the bars vibrate pretty bad. its never been an issue for me while riding tho. i have a trail can on mine and after 15k miles the mount on the can had broke at the weld, im assuming it is from the vibration over time?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited by Moderator)
my 2019 has always had a vibration at the handlebars. like when the sled is not moving and warming up the bars vibrate pretty bad. its never been an issue for me while riding tho. i have a trail can on mine and after 15k miles the mount on the can had broke at the weld, im assuming it is from the vibration over time?
Vibration has been horrid from day one. The only change was when I installed the anti-vibe risers, which helped a tad.

Edit; Sorry, forgot to comment on your weld breaking question. Yeah, most likely cause is vibes over time. The other likely cause is a crap factory weld. A bad factory weld tends to fail much sooner however.

·
Banshee Builder
7,821 Posts
im planning to perform a run out test on the crank in mine before i bring it in for trade. might find something

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
Vibration has been horrid from day one. The only change was when I installed the anti-vibe risers, which helped a tad.
I have heard in Extreme cases...BRP has replaced the primary clutch with a new one.

Wonder if you have a friend with same sled you could pop his clutch off and try it on yours?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have heard in Extreme cases...BRP has replaced the primary clutch with a new one.

Wonder if you have a friend with same sled you could pop his clutch off and try it on yours?
Lol, both of our sleds are still under warranty, so there will be no swapping of clutches :D However, your idea is completely valid and should be tested at the dealer.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
If you get the issue resolved... please let us know. Thanks Brent.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you get the issue resolved... please let us know. Thanks Brent.
Absolutely will :)

Just got off the phone (again) with the dealer actually. They're saying the vibes are normal for the 850, but they didn't realize what they're feeling is with the anti-vibe risers installed.

I soooo wish I had the tool to measure vibration. Being able to say 'my 850 vibes at X amplitude and Y frequency, while this one ...' would go a long bloody way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts