Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am doing a gen 5 review from what I know best.

bought renegades xr 850 loaded. (1.25 ripsaw track) will not include accessories in this post unless warranted.

With that being said,

driven 250 miles in the UP between Munsing and Grand Marais this past weekend,.

Love it. Hate the BRP go system. IT SUCKS. ski tracks. moguls are bad either way going into town, but it does better than my 2010 gade, We bought these sleds as a family. Loved the lights going into 88's after sunlight. Cornering is a challenge but somoene told me that's due to studs not that ski) We Tried to get it stuck in snow, did not happen, Saw the blank screen issue with one of the skis. Once again the BRP go APP sucks and they can do so much better.

Let me know what you think

my .02

PS Their customer base loves tech, not the kind of tech that requires stoping mdway into a trail to reset the damn ipohne. BRP go sucks.

· Registered
370 Posts
YES BRP GO SUCKS!!!! Have you ever tried to plan a trip LOL..

Skidoo, in their marketing and filming, gives lots of excuses why there is better and it's simply NOT true... If you actually used them both NOBODY would choose the 10.25 over the 7s

I've owned both the 7s and 10.25" and no comparison hand down the 7s is much better at everything (except the screen size). BRP should call me and I'll give them some GREAT advice...

Plugging in your phone is silly, NO GPS on the sled is Silly.. BRP says this way they can give you "REAL TIME" trail info.... Hmmmmm hello, polaris updates via wifi when you get home. Its just an excuse from Beancounters to save a few bucks.. Most of snomobiling is down without cell coverage.

· Registered
1,010 Posts

Skidoo, in their marketing and filming, gives lots of excuses why there is better and it's simply NOT true... If you actually used them both NOBODY would choose the 10.25 over the 7s

I've owned both the 7s and 10.25" and no comparison hand down the 7s is much better at everything (except the screen size). BRP should call me and I'll give them some GREAT advice...

Plugging in your phone is silly, NO GPS on the sled is Silly.. BRP says this way they can give you "REAL TIME" trail info.... Hmmmmm hello, polaris updates via wifi when you get home. Its just an excuse from Beancounters to save a few bucks.. Most of snomobiling is down without cell coverage.
I really wish them and polaris, would just call garmin up, and say, hey how to we make a deal. I have ride command in my rzr and its worthless too. I used garmin on my sled and sxs.

· Registered
2,497 Posts
I'd be content being able to mirror my phone screen to the 10" screen just for the nav, but BRP would rather sell you a $200 plastic cell phone holder to tether to. The 10" screen is nice, but I'm not blown away by it, especially when trying the BRP go Nav. Basically no color, just contour lines and an arrow where you are on the trail.

· Registered
1,080 Posts

I would argue that a phone-based solution has the potential advantage of being easier to add functionality. There is definitely a lot of improvement opportunity as it exists today. I have planned a ride and thought it was pretty nice and easy. Was just a single day with 4-5 stops, but quick and easy to create and execute. Easy to add friends to the ride. I have, and love, Garmin with VVMapping, but found BRP Go! to be a little easier to create a route following the trails I desired and also easier to make small changes on the fly on my phone at a stop. Yes, a lot of room for improvement, but at the same time I can see how making improvements to functionality should be easier via the mobile app. I would LOVE to see GTS Trails (groomer tracking) integration and while it may never happen I can envision it's at least a possibility on BRP Go! vs other platforms. Would love to have more interactivity with other riders... the comments on Ride Command are sometimes the best comedy of the week for me when trails are rough.

· Registered
23 Renegade XRS 850
3,849 Posts
I have 1,425 miles on my 23 XRS Dumb Gade. I have it handling well, I ride more tight twisters than the open grades of the U.P. I am strongly considering stepping back down to the 600R. After 3 yrs of the 850 power, my hands hurt trying to hang on after a 190 mile day. I still ride extremely hard and I had more fun on my sons 600R the day we switched. I see a 600R MXZ XRS back in my hands. I don't want any tech crap on my sleds.

· Registered
167 Posts
I own the 7S. I would consider switching to Doo if they could get the gauge right. Ordered the wife a 23 X package 850 last spring and picked up in Dec, she's got the standard 7.2 gauge. Nothing wrong with it and kept some money in my pocket... haha. They need to go take a lesson from Polaris on tech.

· Registered
2022 Mach Z, 2022 MXZ TNT 850 & 2023 MXZ Blizzard 850
554 Posts
I have the glovebox extension with cellphone holder and USB plug. My iPhone 14 pro plus fits perfectly. I plug it in, put it on always on/never lock, add my route, and run the OFSC map while I’m on the move. Extremely bright and clear picture, easy to zoom in and out etc etc. All I need and then some. Could care less about the 7S, 10.25, or whatever. I want to spend my time riding not trying to figure out how to use gauges. I already know how to use my IPhone and can switch it between sleds in 10 seconds.

· Registered
1,505 Posts
I own the 7S. I would consider switching to Doo if they could get the gauge right. Ordered the wife a 23 X package 850 last spring and picked up in Dec, she's got the standard 7.2 gauge. Nothing wrong with it and kept some money in my pocket... haha. They need to go take a lesson from Polaris on tech.
I’m still hoping Polaris just sells their GPS/dash to all brands and be done with it. It works best, everybody has probably used it to some extent already on their phones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
With regards to the cell coverage, you can download the trail data on your phone for “offline mode”. My biggest issue is the connection issue, sometimes it connects other times it does not. I’m younger than the demo probably buying these machines so I’m a little more “savvy” with this stuff. the older demo probably will not figure out how to get it to work. Also the communication stuff on the sled I have yet to figure out. We use cardo pack talk helmet communicators.

I do like the sleds. It is way to much power but im glad I have it!

· Registered
456 Posts
I have 1,425 miles on my 23 XRS Dumb Gade. I have it handling well, I ride more tight twisters than the open grades of the U.P. I am strongly considering stepping back down to the 600R. After 3 yrs of the 850 power, my hands hurt trying to hang on after a 190 mile day. I still ride extremely hard and I had more fun on my sons 600R the day we switched. I see a 600R MXZ XRS back in my hands. I don't want any tech crap on my sleds.
ODI 8" Black Snowmobile Grips https://a.co/d/7Q32UBL

These grips are amazing it literally takes half the effort to hang on. With a air blow gun it takes less than 10 minutes to take the slippery stock ones off cut the new ones and reinstall!

· Registered
1,010 Posts
You’d be one of the first ones to say such a thing or your really proud of your BRP gps which I hear more complaints from then anything.

wrong and wrong. I dont have brp gps, because it sux worse than ride command. Lots of people say RC sux, you must live in a box. Go ahead and program a route in your RC gps and let me know how that works. Or punch in a restaurant, or gas station! I will take my garmin all day long.

· Registered
2023 MXZ XRS & 2015 GSX 900Ace
1,564 Posts
Yeah, glad I skipped on the $1,200 big gauge and went with the 7.2”. Bought a Garmin Zumo Xt, with the glove box extension, and maps the whole setup is under 600$ and best of all, my phone connects to it Bluetooth and it stays connected….. BRP needs to get it act together with the gauge and put a GPS antenna on it, team up with GPS trail masters/Backwoods and just give everyone what they want…. Hell Polaris has been doing it for a few years now. I still can believe they didn’t dump the phone connection part when they went from the 7.8” to the 10.25”. They had the chance to make it right and blew it.

· Registered
1,505 Posts
wrong and wrong. I dont have brp gps, because it sux worse than ride command. Lots of people say RC sux, you must live in a box. Go ahead and program a route in your RC gps and let me know how that works. Or punch in a restaurant, or gas station! I will take my garmin all day long.
I don’t use a gps on my sled at all. The guys I ride with have RC and it works the way we need it to. I’m not a big tech guy, so I’ll probably never buy it. I stop and look at RC on my phone if I don’t have anyone with me on the trail though. It’s my go to over the BRP version.

· Registered
2022 MXZ XRS 600R
1,300 Posts
I have the glovebox extension with cellphone holder and USB plug. My iPhone 14 pro plus fits perfectly. I plug it in, put it on always on/never lock, add my route, and run the OFSC map while I’m on the move. Extremely bright and clear picture, easy to zoom in and out etc etc. All I need and then some. Could care less about the 7S, 10.25, or whatever. I want to spend my time riding not trying to figure out how to use gauges. I already know how to use my IPhone and can switch it between sleds in 10 seconds.
Well said. Couldn’t agree more.

Reactions: Snowgames
1 - 19 of 19 Posts