Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Update! 2/15/20. My buddy talked to mechanic. "Check valve for oil went bad on one side of motor. Sent rod through the base."

New motor is in sled. Seems to run fine, we are going out tomorrow for a ride, next week 1200 mile run in Quebec so hope all is ok. Only cost him $50.00.

Just sharing some info, what little I have...Friend was up in Quebec on his last day out. Riding down trail doing 52mph. Hears a beeping, looks down and dash says overrev. Then it said Knock. Then he heard a couple of loud bangs from the engine and then a tremendous amount of smoke came from engine. Enough smoke that the guy behind was couldn't see through it or him. Could no longer pull the motor over.

Its a 2018 Renegade that he spring ordered. 5700 miles. Actually we both ordered ours at the same time. Warranty is up in November of 2020. Dealer called him today and said BRP is sending him a new motor. Will be here early next week and they will have it installed later that week. Dealer told him they have only had 2 850's come in with bad motors. 1 had 9000 miles and the other had 15,000 miles. The person he talked to could not tell him what went wrong with engine.

No mods, only Doo oil. Does he ride it hard? Yes, but he doesn't abuse it either.

Only reason he was doing 52 down the trail was because the 900Turbo they were riding with wasn't running right.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
Yike again...but nice to see BRP is taking care of it. Best of luck with the new engine. :righton

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Ugh, hate to hear it blew up. Like to hear it was under warranty and he gets a new engine. Good news/bad news.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
same as mine....17...4097 miles
mag rod bearing....

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Id say perfect, that many miles and now he will have a new power plant, as long as they get him up and running again quickly id call it a blessing. Now if he was out of warranty then that would suck

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Honestly with as many as I see on Facebook going down I thinking of getting a extra year of warranty
I got an extra 3 years on mine just for the piece of mind! Plus if it goes at 5000+ miles a new engine sounds like a great return on the investment.

Reactions: Daag44

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I agree!

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
My 18 was all stock, had 7000 miles on it which were mostly northern Maine and Canada. Held that thing to the bars every chance I got and she still ran like a top till I traded it.
As with most 2 strokes wide open throttle isn't where you run in to issues. I assume it's for emissions but it tends to be mid range when they go boom.

·
Windsurfnut
1,237 Posts
What was wrong with the 900t? 1 sled running bad and the second blowing up on a trip, my first inclination would be fuel quality. Possible water in gas?

But that's just the first thing that popped in my head with the limited knowledge of the situation.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
What was wrong with the 900t? 1 sled running bad and the second blowing up on a trip, my first inclination would be fuel quality. Possible water in gas?

But that's just the first thing that popped in my head with the limited knowledge of the situation.
Yep, I am wondering the same.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Great news he gets a new motor! Buy why? Maybe mid-range lean spot with bad gas! Knock is usually bad gas but why didn't the Skidoo fail safe system block the knock with more fuel and lower timing?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't have much more info....but there was another 900T that was running perfectly. Also another 850 Doo and a Polaris that were running fine. All took gas at the same time.

The 900T was idling bad and struggling to run. Not sure when it started or for how long. It eventually wouldn't start anymore. Dropped off to same dealer.

I'm impressed with how its getting handled so far. Tough part is we have another Quebec trip planned for end of February. He will basically be taking an untested brand new motor on a 5 day 1200 mile run!

I'll update if I get more details.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Just sharing some info, what little I have...Friend was up in Quebec on his last day out. Riding down trail doing 52mph. Hears a beeping, looks down and dash says overrev. Then it said Knock. Then he heard a couple of loud bangs from the engine and then a tremendous amount of smoke came from engine. Enough smoke that the guy behind was couldn't see through it or him. Could no longer pull the motor over.

Its a 2018 Renegade that he spring ordered. 5700 miles. Actually we both ordered ours at the same time. Warranty is up in November of 2020. Dealer called him today and said BRP is sending him a new motor. Will be here early next week and they will have it installed later that week. Dealer told him they have only had 2 850's come in with bad motors. 1 had 9000 miles and the other had 15,000 miles. The person he talked to could not tell him what went wrong with engine.

No mods, only Doo oil. Does he ride it hard? Yes, but he doesn't abuse it either.

Only reason he was doing 52 down the trail was because the 900Turbo they were riding with wasn't running right.
On the bold. Could be why the 850 blew up. bad gas maybe?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts