Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I try to keep my sled extremely clean and after every trip I spend many hours cleaning everything up and making it look new again.

This year, for some reason, the chaincase area was drastically more dirty after my rides, as parts were being covered with moist, black, oily looking residue. Everything from the pull rope, brake components, chaincase, can, and footwell area were covered with this stuff.

I serviced my chaincase and drive shaft this summer so I thought it might have been a bad lower seal where the drive shaft goes into the chaincase or that the oil was coming out of the dip stick and getting everywhere, but had never had this problem the first two season. Then I started seeing some of these posts on here about the motor oil cap/reservoir spout becoming warped.

So rather than take my chaincase and drive shaft all apart I decided to spend about $17 bucks and went to a local Cat dealer and bought one of their caps. I cleaned everything up to spotless condition last week and put the Arctic Cat cap on my oil tank. Everything else stayed the same. I rode 400 miles over the weekend and when I opened my side panel this morning I was very pleased to see not one ounce of oily black residue like I was seeing before. There was not even a drop of motor oil in the little drip pan under the cap, which I've always had since day one with this sled!!!

I assume the problem is that oil leaks from the cap and then combines with the brake dust (which makes it look like dirty chaincase lube), gets caught up in the turbulance of the brake disc and sprays all over everything???

Make a long story short - the Cat cap works to stop the leaking!

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Slytly-Stok said:
I try to keep my sled extremely clean and after every trip I spend many hours cleaning everything up and making it look new again.

This year, for some reason, the chaincase area was drastically more dirty after my rides, as parts were being covered with moist, black, oily looking residue. Everything from the pull rope, brake components, chaincase, can, and footwell area were covered with this stuff.

I serviced my chaincase and drive shaft this summer so I thought it might have been a bad lower seal where the drive shaft goes into the chaincase or that the oil was coming out of the dip stick and getting everywhere, but had never had this problem the first two season. Then I started seeing some of these posts on here about the motor oil cap/reservoir spout becoming warped.

So rather than take my chaincase and drive shaft all apart I decided to spend about $17 bucks and went to a local Cat dealer and bought one of their caps. I cleaned everything up to spotless condition last week and put the Arctic Cat cap on my oil tank. Everything else stayed the same. I rode 400 miles over the weekend and when I opened my side panel this morning I was very pleased to see not one ounce of oily black residue like I was seeing before. There was not even a drop of motor oil in the little drip pan under the cap, which I've always had since day one with this sled!!!

I assume the problem is that oil leaks from the cap and then combines with the brake dust (which makes it look like dirty chaincase lube), gets caught up in the turbulance of the brake disc and sprays all over everything???

Make a long story short - the Cat cap works to stop the leaking!
[snapback]713735[/snapback]​
Good find!!!

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Part number I bought was: 1670-365

Funny story - when I went to the counter and said I have sort of a weird order, but need to buy a Cat oil cap. The first thing out of his mouth was, "let me guess - you ride ski-doo." Apparently, the word is out and these things are being snatched up by quite a few of us doo guys already!?! Probably be on back order before too long!

·
Ka-RAY-Zeeee
5,301 Posts
Just buy some rubber gasket material, make an insert for the doo cap and you're good to go...about $1 total cost

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I bought 1 last year for my 04 and traded it with out get my cap back. Went to Cat dealer this weekend and he had types 1 with a vent which looked like the 1 I bought last year but it did not fit well. He had without a vent and it was identical to my Doo. Both Cat caps and my Doo cap made by same company stamped inside. I think it was Kelch or somthing like that. Does yours have the breather vent that has a spout that hangs down about an inch?

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
what year sled.. cause so far my 06 is clean...

but what happens is the heat from the close proxmity of the muffler is making the opening out-of-round you can return it to round with a hair dryer and it will be dry again...

looks like the newer sleds have a heat deflector to prevent this... not sure if it works though...

and finally the dreaded three words: DO A SEARCH, but someone describes the hair dryer trick, it saves time, money and no cat parts on your doo...
keeping it a purebred...

·
Registered
14 Posts
The cat cap works. No leaks since I switched. The heat deflectors work on the 06. My bottle is round and not warped. It is just a "edit for bad language" poor design for the original cap.

·
Fuzzy but not Blue........
10,650 Posts
'06 caps still leak. Another fix is the gas cap off a mini Z(stole my kids for my '03). To keep it pure if needed!
-Grover

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
My 06 is oval. Cat cap for 06 made by same as Doo. When you buy a new cap the gasket is not squished out of shape so its good for a while. I switched with my sons 05 which I could spin around for ever on his and it gets tight on mine.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I've never had a problem with my '05 or '03 . Are you guys over tighting the oil cap ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
The vented AC cap # is: 0670-381.

I just bought one the other day and I'll give it a try this weekend.

I'll try not to overtighten anymore. Bad habit of mine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts