Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys.. I ordered a 2012 MXZ X 800.... Can't wait to get it!! I am new to the snowmobile world...

What are the must have items? I will mainly do trail riding..

Should I stud the track? If so what kind and how many..

Any help would be greatly appreciated.. : )

·
Mass Confussion
2,988 Posts
Depending on how aggressive of a rider you are the 1.25 ice ripper is a nice trail track. It has about 250 snow tire type studs already in the track. It will not give you great hole shots or superior braking but much better than a none studded track. Less rotating weight than normal studs. Your dealer should be able to offer the upgrade.

·
Registered
11,244 Posts
Leave it stock. Don't pi$$ your money away on mods.
It depends on what you call "mods".
Depending on where you are going too ride. I can see:
A full set of Grip N Rip braces
A good skid plate
Enough studs at least for safety
A good tunnel bag
Risers if you are a stand up rider
A different track if you are off trail a lot
Shock re-valve for your weight if you are a heavier guy
Springs to match
Outside carbides on the Pilot skis
A good clutch kit

and that's just a start.

But yea, if you are talking:
Pipe, can, engine mods.........FUGETABOUDIT

·
Registered
555 Posts
All the "mods" that people will tell you to do after asking that question usually apply to the person who is making the statement specifically. All though there are some things that everyone can agree that improve things the manufactuer overlooked. My advice would be to ride the sled and make improvements based upon what you think would fit you and your riding style better.

Will

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
All the "mods" that people will tell you to do after asking that question usually apply to the person who is making the statement specifically. All though there are some things that everyone can agree that improve things the manufactuer overlooked. My advice would be to ride the sled and make improvements based upon what you think would fit you and your riding style better.

Will
Best advice. Especially since you stated you are new to the snowmobile world.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Best advice. Especially since you stated you are new to the snowmobile world.
This is good sound advice. Studs may make you feel too safe and get yourself into a situation beyond your skills. Take your time and be safe.

To the guy with the loud can. That's a perfect waste of money. Does nothing but get trails closed and slow your sled down. Don't too it, total waste.

·
Sled Builder
9,282 Posts
My suggestion would be to learn to ride it first and foremost.

Many people who have no snowmobile experience go out and buy the biggest baddest sled on the market and then pile them up.

Don't be one of those guys, learn trail rules and regulations.

The sled you got is going to be a rocket and is not really a beginners sled.

The only thing to remember is they accelerate like a Yamaha R1 or Ninja, and stop like a fully loaded 18 wheel semi tractor-trailer rig.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
My suggestion would be to learn to ride it first and foremost.

Many people who have no snowmobile experience go out and buy the biggest baddest sled on the market and then pile them up.

Don't be one of those guys, learn trail rules and regulations.

The sled you got is going to be a rocket and is not really a beginners sled.

The only thing to remember is they accelerate like a Yamaha R1 or Ninja, and stop like a fully loaded 18 wheel semi tractor-trailer rig.
Excellent advice!! Especially the acceleration to braking!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Join a snowmobile club and help with the trails in your area. Yes, it takes time and work, but it will make you appreciate what you have to ride on. Lot's of people complain about trail conditions and probably never work on them.

Plus joining a club is a great way to find out about the trails in your area and find other to ride with.

The Sled... Keep it stock and have fun. You are a new rider with lots of power under you. Slow down on the icey trails and that track will be great for you. Why add power that you are not ready for right now.

Oh, and welcome to the Doo Family. We are here to help.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks so much guys.. Everything you guys are saying makes complete sense..

I did not mean any engine mods.. Thats just crazy.. Think this sled will be more power I will need... I am sure

I was thinking about studding it mainly for safety reasons.. Sometimes it gets icy here in NY..

So here is what I was thinking:

Studding it.. Which studs are the strongest and/or best and how many?

I think I read somewhere knee pads were a good idea? Any suggestions?

and a tunnel Bag..( the only ones I see are the light greenish ones that say ski doo) are there any other one that will match the sled better.. Maybe some yellow in it?

·
Registered
6,251 Posts
A lot of good advice. For a tunnel Bag this is the best I have ever found. No straps easy on and off no bouncing around just a grate piece.
http://www.mountainaddiction.com/trackrack.html
I have this bag on my xrs. I love it. Although to make it fit on a shorty you gotta trim some plastic on the taillight/snowflap thingy. So i just cut it all off and put a little led light on my own mount. But it is really nice, just slide it off and bring it in the house. Never have to worry about it flying or bouncing off. Not exactly the cheapest tho, actually I think I would call it rather expensive lol

The windshield you see is a Cobra Medium, 15" I think is what they call it. With an 8" riser.

·
Registered
145 Posts
It depends on what you call "mods".
Depending on where you are going too ride. I can see:
A full set of Grip N Rip braces
A good skid plate
Enough studs at least for safety
A good tunnel bag
Risers if you are a stand up rider
A different track if you are off trail a lot
Shock re-valve for your weight if you are a heavier guy
Springs to match
Outside carbides on the Pilot skis
A good clutch kit

and that's just a start.

x2 for sure on the grip n rip bracing, its a must, if your into the pow drop a tooth on the top gear and go with the 1.75 ripsaw. personally i think studs are a waste of time but i dont ride any ice. depending how you like to jump and beat your machine id step it up to piggy back 440x or fox suspension, the stock stuff is good if your riding nice trails but it was never stiff enough for me (140lbs) SLYDOG skis are amazing, huge improvement over the pilots, you'll find yourself in any other doos tracks getting pulled around by them.

great sled though, dont kill yourself, that machine is a beast

But yea, if you are talking:
Pipe, can, engine mods.........FUGETABOUDIT

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
I have this bag on my xrs. I love it. Although to make it fit on a shorty you gotta trim some plastic on the taillight/snowflap thingy. So i just cut it all off and put a little led light on my own mount. But it is really nice, just slide it off and bring it in the house. Never have to worry about it flying or bouncing off. Not exactly the cheapest tho, actually I think I would call it rather expensive lol

The windshield you see is a Cobra Medium, 15" I think is what they call it. With an 8" riser.
Nice sled/set-up!

·
Registered
619 Posts
If you're set on studs, and don't want an ice ripper from the factory, make sure you talk to your dealer. Ski-Doo's use a thinner track than most other sleds, so you need special studs that won't rip out. Woody's sell them through Ski-Doo, they're called Phantom studs. Should work well. Also, if you are new, make sure you slap a decent sized windshield on it. Mike-337 has the right idea. Those x-package bug guards offer as much wind protection as a piece of paper in a hurricane. Makes those triple-digit days much colder.

As for knee pads, they were really nice on REV's. Those panels were slanted, and aggressive riders, like me, had trouble bashing their knees into them when riding fast. IMO, when I ride the new xp's, those panels are flat, so my knees never hit them. I'd hold off on the pads and see if you have any problems hitting the panels. As for tunnel bags, some people have had issues with Ski-Doos new strap design. Had plenty of people come into the dealer I used to work for with stories of lost bags. Might want to look aftermarket, or come up with a better way to secure Ski-Doos bags to the tunnel. I have seen some examples of using REV-style bag straps on the XP's. Worked pretty well.

And last but not least, welcome to the club. Enjoy the many miles of trail NYS offers, and be smart; ride to your ability.

·
Backcountry Shredder
1,235 Posts
All great advice from the guys here. I am not sure where in NY you are from but if you are from anywhere around the Saratoga area, check out www.mulleyvillesnowmobileclub.com and join our club. Get involved with whatever club you join and do some trail work....you will have fun doing it while getting to know the trails and guys. With all the storms we have had the clubs could use any help they can get.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts