Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my first ride in last Saturday, locally in the Southern Tier area of NY (Spencer/VanEtten/Wilseyville area). Before this year's ride I put a set of Boyesen reeds in my stock cages. A buddy and I rebuilt the top end just before the season started last year and the sled ran super all season. My sled had way more miles than his around 8000 and it wasn't quite as fast and starting was no longer the 2 or 3 pull norm. After rebuilding the sled I could catch him if he got the holeshot and pull him each time we raced.

This year I figured I'd replace the reeds just as a precautionary thing to avoid having a worn reed break off and damage my "fresh" top end. I have to say the stock reeds with over 8500 miles on them still looked super. I have to say Rotax builds a good engine especially if you keep it maintained and leave it stock. I have run Klotz synthetic oil in this sled since new and most everyone had a hard time believing for not believing me at all that my pistons were the orginal stock pistons when I told them how many miles the sled had. After looking the stock reeds over I'd say I could probably keep running them as well but I really don't want to take a chance on a set of reeds for what it costs to rebuild a most.

Anyways my sled is idling lower than it used to since the change of the reeds. From what I remember it seemed to run fine when I started to ride Saturday but as the day went on the idle dropped and it seems to be running a rougher too. I haven't put new plugs in it this year, something I always do, so I'm hoping new plugs will clean it up. Has anyone put reeds in a Series 3 600 or any other Series 3 and experienced the same results. I'm really hoping the plugs are going to take care of it but I don't want to over look anything.

·
Shoooow meeee the POWDER!!
3,849 Posts
I put the Boyesen reed petals in my '99 MXZ 600 last year and was totally pleased with them. I never had any problem idling or running rough with them. If anything, they made the engine run smoother and made it slightly more resonsive. Maybe the plugs is your problem, maybe not. When was the last time you cleaned the carbs? That's the first thing I would do, make sure your carbs are nice and clean and put a new set of plugs in it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I'm putting plugs in it tomorrow night, I think it's too warm out for stock jetting to see if plugs are the problem. Tomorrow winter returns, temperature wise, so if the plugs are the problem I should see an immediate difference. If not I'll be cleaning some carbs.

Is that you X in your avatar? That's a nice looking sled!

·
Registered
757 Posts
I've seen this happen on a couple of sleds with the V-force 3 reeds in. I believe this was the result of a stiffer reed petal. The stock ones in your case were maybe worn quite a bit and move pretty easily vs the new ones that are probly stiffer which may cause the rough idle. If idle is too low or choppy you could turn up the idle a bit. My buddy has the V-force reeds on his 2000 600 and has been running it with the low choppy idle for years and not a problem. You could always put in the old ones and see if it is indeed the reeds causing it. Good luck

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Believe it, or not, you need to break those reeds in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts