Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 01 mxz 800 and i was on a pond yesterday and i had the sled pined for about a half mile long stretch and i did this about 5 to 6 times and the last time i got half way and the sled lost her power so i stoped and i tried to move again but she didn't clutch in until 6500 rpms and i put the hood up and took the guard off the clutch and the secondary clutch was to hot to touch and when i use to press the gas the secondary clutch would open up and the belt use to slip down there and she use to move but was not like she use to be. I was woundering if the spring in the clutch was gone and would that make this happen. when i let her cool off i went on her again and got about 50 feet and the same thing happened again. I only bought this sled this year and any help would be good. thanks

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I've got similar clutch problems with my '01 800. Pulls strong all day until I open it up on the lake. The belt must be slipping at WOT and high speed because my clutch gets too hot to touch as well. It will continue to slip due to the heat (and wear the belts) but runs fine again when it cools. I added a Cudney clutch kit (helix, springs, adjustable pins) hoping this would be the fix but the problem didn't go away so I tore into the clutches again cleaning and inspecting everything. Check the bushing on sliding half of the the primary. On mine, the coating is worn away completely on half and not bad on the other. The shaft on the fixed half is also showing some wear and when the clutch is together you can see that the sliding half isn't perfectly concentric to the shaft. I'm almost certain this is the problem, it sticks at high rpm. Unfortunately the bushing is not replaceable. Time for a new primary.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.