Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 01 mxz 800 and i took her for a spin last weekend and she only went 80 km on a tank of gas and my buddy got a 04 viper 700 and he can get 150 km a tank. what would be the problem and what can other people get out of there mxz.

·
Registered
89 Posts
800 mxz said:
i have a 01 mxz 800 and i took her for a spin last weekend and she only went 80 km on a tank of gas and my buddy got a 04 viper 700 and he can get 150 km a tank. what would be the problem and what can other people get out of there mxz.
[snapback]700271[/snapback]​
On my '01 800 MXZ it depends greatly on the trails. We rode some very smooth trails at a relatively slow group pace, mixed in with some rough ditches, a few weeks ago. I was very happy with my mileage. On trails only, I was getting over 18mpg. On the mixed trails and ditches, it dropped to about 15mpg. On a previous trip with deeper snow and a lot of heavy throttle I was down around 12. The only sled in our last group to do better was a 660 4-stroke 'cat. (non turbo)

I have installed Boyesen reeds, lowered the needles in the flat slide carbs and re-cut the engagement ramps in the primary. At 20-30 mph on the trails I was only using 4000-4500 RPM. Very quiet and smooth that way!

·
Registered
214 Posts
thats pretty thirsty...What do the plugs look like....black, brown, light brown...do they appear wet...?

Most of the group I ride with have 600's, but the 700 and 800 MXZ that a couple guys have don't need to stop any more often that we do...in fact I think the 700 gets better mileage than my 600. I get 10.5-11 miles per gallon.

Perhaps your sled was rejetted for extreme cold....or the previous owner thought he knew something about jetting and messed it up. I would check the carbs to make sure the jets, needles, and air screw are OEM set and work from there. You'd probably pay a shop $75-100 labor +parts to do such a thing.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I get 10mpg at the beginning of the year every year, then after that first tank or so i get back to my tops of 13mpg in my 600. Its got 5000miles. So it might just get better with time. lol I think mine could still get better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.