Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1999 mxz 600- in the last few years it has been going through stators like crazy- finally this year with the lack of snow I have deceided to tear it apart and try to track down cause
I found tonight the helmet shield cord ( I never used it- have a mod helmet) there is a small nick in the black wire, the wires in side are all green-
Question #1- would this small nick be enough of a short to effect the stator?

Also the handle bar heaters are a second install (originals ran through the bar- these ones run outside) have been working only when riding with high rpms
Question #2- is this the way they are to work?
Question #3 If I remove the handle bar heaters and thumb warmer will this cause an ill effect on the electical system? (less resistance)
(a good pair of gloves and playing hard enough, you do not need these extras)
and finally
Question #4- if the kill switch is removed from the electrical system and the machine is shut off from the d.e.s.s does this cause an undo strain on the entrie electrical system? ( i had the kill switch removed last year in a pinch on the trail as it was causing a short (just wondering if I should replace it or does it really matter)
any input is welcomed-

·
Registered
831 Posts
Answers...
1 - Yes, a small nick is all you need to create a short circuit capable of killing your electrical system.

2 - My experience with Ski Doo hand warmers is just that - only at higher RPMs do they get hot enough to feel a difference.

3 - Yes and no... You have the right idea, wrong teminology. By removing the heaters on your Ski Doo, you'll actually increase resistance, decrease load and current. The system won't be taxed as hard.

4 - No harm, no foul. Removing the Kill switch has no ill effects.

P

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank-you 700gse
It is nice to get some serious answers to common problems
I have noticed that alot of this forum is just about making your sled go faster, make it bigger etc etc
For us recerational sledders that just cruise the trails, it is sometimes tough to find some comments and answers to problems we are having with our sleds
Do not get me wrong- I read with great interest as well all the posts on how to make our sleds better
If I was 20 yrs younger and had some spare money I would be at the local mod shop getting some of these done
Great site and I love to read what you guys are doing to your sleds

·
Registered
233 Posts
as for number 3...by removing loads from the system, you are reducing the resistance of the system, but the stator will be loaded just as much....for an explanation, search back for posts by me, i explained how the stator/voltage reg works on a sled.

nik

·
Registered
831 Posts
hey fro -> I=V/R Hence as R increases (not reduced! Loads are in parallel), I is determined by the excited coil and considered constant hence excess I must be bled off to maintain V. Your point is good, the Zener will be forced to kick in sooner with the extra loads removed - no gain. Sorry cdn600mxz, my oversight.

·
Registered
233 Posts
right, resistance increased. MY oversight. haha. for those searching for the post, it's titled "a lighting question ?"

nik

1 - 6 of 6 Posts