Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just want to know the power difference between the 500ss, 600HO and 600HO SDI I am thinking of trading my Formula Z in for one of the above and I want to get the "best bang for the buck"

·
Registered
35 Posts
For sure the 500ss is the best bang for the buck. It is the old 600 before they came out with the HO It is a great engine, and will almost keep up with the HO version of the 600. The SDI makes no difference between the carberated 600HO and the 600HO SDI for HP, however it greatly improves on fuel consumption. If you do alote of miles, then the SDI would be better in the long run, however if your a moderate rider, i would suggest the 500SS, its cheaper and preformes almost as well.

·
Wasting money wisely
1,632 Posts
If I had to choose between the three, I'd say the SDI. Man is that engine smooth and easy to get started.

The 500ss is arguably the best bang for the buck. The 600 HO has a little more power than the ss and it is a little easier to mod than a 600 HO SDI. But that SDI sure is smooth and gets some of the best gas mileage among all sleds, 4 strokes included.

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
I agree 500SS best BFTB

but the SDI is the better motor, power, smoothness, ease of starting, self calibrating, detonation sensor and LACK of two-stroke stink! (greatly reduced anyway)... but of course it costs more-

carbs suck...

·
Registered
260 Posts
500man said:
I just want to know the power difference between the 500ss, 600HO and 600HO SDI I am thinking of trading my Formula Z in for one of the above and I want to get the "best bang for the buck"
[snapback]716389[/snapback]​
I've owned all three...Loved the old 600 (now the 500ss) and the SDI. They both have clutching that works well with the smooth powerband. The 600HO wasn't nearly as much fun; required too much focus on the throttle when exitting corners. The lumpy powerband was made worse by the clutching, tending to unload the skis unexpectedly on the really tight corners.

On the faster corners that kept the HO above the lump in the powerband, the HO was every bit as good a machine as the 500ss and the SDI.

Don't buy the SDI for the improved fuel economy-- you can't possibly put enough miles on the sled to recover the additional purchase price. But if you want a silky-smooth powerband and 120hp, the SDI is the only 600 on the market that can deliver.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts