Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from Island Park Idaho. This was the first time I have been out there and it was awesome I plan on going out twice a year from now on. Problem is my shortie isn't enough anymore and I was thinking of extending it to a 136 or 144. Whould you guys use rail extensions or longer rails? What is the biggest lug track I can use with stock drivers 1.5? Any advice you guys can give me would really help me out. Also will a 16 inch wide track fit on my sled?

·
Registered
110 Posts
farmer_mike said:
I just got back from Island Park Idaho. This was the first time I have been out there and it was awesome I plan on going out twice a year from now on. Problem is my shortie isn't enough anymore and I was thinking of extending it to a 136 or 144. Whould you guys use rail extensions or longer rails? What is the biggest lug track I can use with stock drivers 1.5? Any advice you guys can give me would really help me out. Also will a 16 inch wide track fit on my sled?

[snapback]731231[/snapback]​
I would go with the 144. If you use extensions instead of longer rails it will be weaker, but should hold up fine unless you you alot of jumping. You can fit a 16 wide track in but it takes some doing. It will hit the front and rear skid mounting braces so those need to be cut out and reworked. You will also need to take out some rivits and reverse them for clearance.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Just did the 136" conversion. I had a 121" M10 in mine, so I picked up a couple of used 136" rails on Ebay. Used the 2000 Highmark extension. Used the 136 x 16 x 1.25 PowderMax track. Had to remove the two chaincase mounting bolts and grind the heads down so that there was just enough for a wrench to hold, reversed two small bolts that were in the way and ground down those heads, trimmed a couple of rivets and removed the ski-doo suspension mounts ( not needed with the M10 ) It's tight for the 16" track. With a stock suspension I think I would hang the suspension off a couple of flat homemade stainless brackets, and then do the tunnel stiffening on the outside. Big John said that he has trimmed down the 16" tracks, but that looks like a lot of work and I don't know how good a finish job would be possible. Here's a couple of pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
235 Posts
1BadZ said:
Just did the 136" conversion. I had a 121" M10 in mine, so I picked up a couple of used 136" rails on Ebay. Used the 2000 Highmark extension. Used the 136 x 16 x 1.25 PowderMax track. Had to remove the two chaincase mounting bolts and grind the heads down so that there was just enough for a wrench to hold, reversed two small bolts that were in the way and ground down those heads, trimmed a couple of rivets and removed the ski-doo suspension mounts ( not needed with the M10 ) It's tight for the 16" track. With a stock suspension I think I would hang the suspension off a couple of flat homemade stainless brackets, and then do the tunnel stiffening on the outside. Big John said that he has trimmed down the 16" tracks, but that looks like a lot of work and I don't know how good a finish job would be possible. Here's a couple of pictures.
[snapback]731681[/snapback]​
That's cool, I like the rack, did you make that yourself? Could we see more pictures of it from the back? It's hard to tell but it looks as if you stayed with a stock taillight. Any plans on moving it so it would still be visible with stuff in the rack? Thanks

·
Registered
61 Posts
That looks sweet, could you do something like that to a Formula DLX. I do alot of deep snow riding and would also like some extra suspension travle. What do you think?

Eric

·
Registered
975 Posts
Michimxzx said:
That's cool, I like the rack, did you make that yourself? Could we see more pictures of it from the back? It's hard to tell but it looks as if you stayed with a stock taillight. Any plans on moving it so it would still be visible with stuff in the rack? Thanks

[snapback]731740[/snapback]​
[/quote]

The rack came from somewhere out west. My buddy ordered mine along with his about 3 years ago, and he can't remember where. I'm planning on putting an LED bar or an RMK light behind the rack. Here's the only picture I have now of the full sled. Soon as I take it out of the trailer, I'll take more.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Blown up Formula said:
That looks sweet, could you do something like that to a Formula DLX. I do alot of deep snow riding and would also like some extra suspension travle. What do you think?

Eric
[snapback]731763[/snapback]​
You could. Depends on how much money you'd want to put into your machine. I think the 2000 Highmark extension will fit your sled. Saw a post here awhile back where someone had used it on a 98 or 99 670 MXZ

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow thanks for the info and pics. 1BadZ is that a 1.25 or 1.5 and do any of U know what the deepest lug I could run with stock drivers. Do any of you know of a place to get extensions, and a track for a good price?

·
Registered
975 Posts
farmer_mike said:
Wow thanks for the info and pics. 1BadZ is that a 1.25 or 1.5 and do any of U know what the deepest lug I could run with stock drivers. Do any of you know of a place to get extensions, and a track for a good price?
[snapback]732057[/snapback]​
It's a 1.25. From all the post on here on the subject, TracksUSA seems to have the best extensions. I think MXZNewfie is running a 1.5 Camoplast on his. Find him in the Members section and PM him.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Anybody know the deepest lug I can run with stock drivers? Anybody have pics of tracks usa rail and tunnel extensions, and or opinions on them? Please I will listen to any opinions you have.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Farmer Mike, well here's my 2 cents worth.First you can run a 2 inch lug on a zx chassis sled so that answers your question as to what is the tallest lug you can run.Next , to 136 or 144? Well I've done both and ended up with a 151 and wished I would have done it to begin with.Do some research first, check ebay , fabcraft,specialty sleds for their classified adds for some smoking deals some times on used rear suspensions.I missed out on a m10 expert 151 for $400 from fabcraft only because I thought 144 would be enough.Then found a deal from tracks usa , a 151 for $325 and its a brp track!!!!!Now For the suspension.Because I missed the deal froom fabcraft I bought new 151 rails from the dealer for $300 and a few mods and tah dahhh
.A 151 sled for about 700 bucks.Good luck and keep us posted..

Attachments

·
Registered
975 Posts
mxzlongtrack 151 said:
Farmer Mike, well here's my 2 cents worth.First you can run a 2 inch lug on a zx chassis sled so that answers your question as to what is the tallest lug you can run.Next , to 136 or 144? Well I've done both and ended up with a 151 and wished I would have done it to begin with.Do some research first, check ebay , fabcraft,specialty sleds for their classified adds for some smoking deals some times on used rear suspensions.I missed out on a m10 expert 151 for $400 from fabcraft only because I thought 144 would be enough.Then found a deal from tracks usa , a 151 for $325 and its a brp track!!!!!Now For the suspension.Because I missed the deal froom fabcraft I bought new 151 rails from the dealer for $300 and a few mods and tah dahhh
.A 151 sled for about 700 bucks.Good luck and keep us posted..
[snapback]735214[/snapback]​
Nice lookin' sled!
Are you using the stock drivers?? or 8 tooth?
Where'd you get the tunnel extension?
Did you just use 151 rails on the coupled SC10 2?
What gearing are you running?
If got a 2000 700 sitting around, and I might make something long outta it. Thanks

·
Registered
44 Posts
1st question : yes stock 9 tooth drivers.
2nd : specialty sleds.com (26 inch extension and bumper)
3rd : yes used most of the sc10 2
4th : I'm running a 21 top and a 43 bottom gear
5th : the sled motor has been ported polished,carbs bored to 44mm cylinders bored to have 800 piston then renicaciled so its a 772 ,dynoport pipe and can, and made 143 hp on dyno at 45 degrees

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
1BadZ said:
Michimxzx said:

[snapback]731740[/snapback]​
The rack came from somewhere out west. My buddy ordered mine along with his about 3 years ago, and he can't remember where. I'm planning on putting an LED bar or an RMK light behind the rack. Here's the only picture I have now of the full sled. Soon as I take it out of the trailer, I'll take more.
[snapback]731818[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I like the suspension set up in the rear really nice, I heard about you getting that highmark extension and for around $70 is way cheaper then anywhere else, but i wanted to know what bumper do you have? the one off a high mark also? I am in the final steps of my 136 conversion and Ive used you as a refrence for things so I know that you know what you are talking about. Im only worried about not having an extension right now, i might just run the rest of the year with the flap off and the metel bracket on the back off. Then come spring/summer get the parts i need. I wanted to know if i have sever tunnel weakness not running that little alumium strengthener that hold the flap on. What does it cost to change to the suspension set up?

·
Registered
975 Posts
The bumper is a Renegade ( Rev chassis ) bumper. Part number 518323778. From my pictures you will see that the two ends of the bumper are covered with the factory yellow plastic trim pieces. The bumper does not have any end caps on it; doesn't matter in my case because I used that yellow trim. If you're not going to cover the ends as I did you may want to buy the end caps. The bumper wasn't bad, about $60 Cdn. There's alot of strength in that piece that the flap attaches to. I don't think I would run without it, but don't leave it there and run it without extending it, as the 136" track might hook it. You could probably bend up a temporary extension out of aluminum for not much money. You can pick up a used M10 136" for $600 to $800 US on ebay; you'd be better of with the new design ( 2001?? and newer ) as Polaris got involved with Fast and made it much better. A new one would run you around $2000 US to your door.

·
Registered
975 Posts
mxzlongtrack 151 said:
1st question : yes stock 9 tooth drivers.
2nd : specialty sleds.com (26 inch extension and bumper)
3rd : yes used most of the sc10 2
4th : I'm running a 21 top and a 43 bottom gear
5th : the sled motor has been ported polished,carbs bored to 44mm cylinders bored to have 800 piston then renicaciled so its a 772 ,dynoport pipe and can, and made 143 hp on dyno at 45 degrees
[snapback]741235[/snapback]​
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I made my 121 into a 144 x 2. The only changes were the gearing. I used rail extensions and a track from tracks usa. The tunnel extension and bumper came from somewhere out west. Just a word of caution, the longer track and deeper lug will cause your sled to run hot in marginal snow conditions. You will need to run ice scratchers to help cool things down.

Attachments

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dans1232 I think I am going to go with the 144 tracks usa rail and tunnel extension. How is the over all fit and quality of the extensions? How strong are the rail extensions, Taken any hard landings on the rear ax? What gear combo are you running?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts