Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 97 mxz 583(stock) and i wanna know what performance parts to get to go gaster and get better bottom end, but i dont wanna spend too much money

·
Registered
698 Posts
Skidoo583kid said:
i have a 97 mxz 583(stock) and i wanna know what performance parts to get to go gaster and get better bottom end, but i dont wanna spend too much money

[snapback]298124[/snapback]​
You can start with a can, mbrp makes them, it doesn't add really any power but you drop about 10-13 lbs. Make sure to get the good belts from skidoo, not the crappy generic ones. As far as mods;

- A clutch kit will help you TONS, as will dropping the driven gear down 2 teeth.
- You can gut your airbox, just watch your plugs to make sure you don't start running too lean.
- Open filters are an option, but mean alot of rejetting with temp and altitude.
- A carbon fiber rotary valve will increase throttle response.
- Shorty carb boots and a RAVE valve cleaning/rebuild helps
- Loosen your track (don't go too far or it will start slipping)
- Probably out of your price range, but Weisco makes a .040 over piston for that motor ;-)

·
Good at wrecking stuff.
5,634 Posts
Just drop a tooth or two on the top gear. It will wake it right up down low. Cheap and easy. Two teeth might require a new chain, though, so that will add to the cost.

·
Registered
148 Posts
- A carbon fiber rotary valve will increase throttle response.
- Shorty carb boots and a RAVE valve cleaning/rebuild helps

where can you get the rotary valve, boots, and how do you rebuild the rave? thanks! trying to get a friends 98 in top runing order for this winter!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
your rave valves should be cleaned EACH season. if they have never been cleaned, they are stuck/siezed for sure and they are not functioning like they should be.

·
Registered
148 Posts
they are cleaned yearly, he is good about that. I was wondering about the rebuild of them??? does that rave-link do anything worth a darn? springs have a usefull life span?

·
Fuzzy but not Blue........
10,651 Posts
Clutching and gearing. Track stuff along with skis etc.. -Grover

·
Registered
38 Posts
My cousin has a 96 FZ 583, he installed a fat boy pipe, a stiffer secondary spring and a better track and that thing will run to 70 w/anything, f7s machs it dosent matter. Which rear suspension do you have? Boivin? The original sc 10 was not a good steering, but boy did it hook up.

·
SnomoSnob
2,582 Posts
Quick Question, i always see "Shorty Carb Boots" listed as a performance part, but can never find the Part #. does anyone know the part#s? please....
thanks
Gutz

·
Registered
248 Posts
the boots are a stock part on a 1995 mach 1 670. on my s chassis i used these boots, but had to slightly tilt the air box back. made a spacer just on the top of the carbs between the box and carbs out of vacume hose. without this, the air intake is restricted where it goes through the hood. 02_05_06_1535.jpg

Attachments

·
Windsurfnut
1,237 Posts
I had a 94 STX with the 583. Milled the head and jetted and that thing ripped. Add a clutch kit and you should be smokin!

·
Really, really, really super-freakin'-cool Mem
1,564 Posts
speaking of dropping gears, do you need a new chain for a 1 to 2 tooth drop? if so, how do u know which size chain to get?

·
Registered
248 Posts
if you pull the airbox off and look at the mouth of the carbs, there are 4 carb vent hoses,2 on each carb. they come up and over the top of each carb and go through a notch in the top of each carb. on a 583 you will need to relocate these hoses to some where above the notch. i cut 2 pieces of 1 inch rubber hose i had kicking around slightly longer than the notch. i flatened the hose and tucked it into the notch where the vacume lines were. this spaces the top of the airbox where the top carb mouth meets away, and with the bottom part of the carb mout is still close to the carbs. the tilt of the airbox was damb near perfect, and the hood opening matched great. most of the sealing between the box and the carbs is around the outside of the mouth, so tilting the box did not cause any sealing issues. this is one spot that i think is overlooked when installing shorter boots on s chassis. quite a bit of the opening gets blocked. i will have the sled out of the trailer in a few days, so if you still need some help i can snap a picture if unsure.

·
Registered
148 Posts
thanks! I think I have it, but if you can snap a pic that would be perfect! what was the overall affect of the short boots? throttle response, right? was there a big difference? thanks again!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts