Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright Guys, I need some help. I have a 1996 MXZ 583 that is an absoulute beeeach to start when it is warmed up. It start and idles fine when it is cold, but as soon as I run it down the trail and shut it off, it wont start back up very easily (30-40 pulls) the only thing I could do to start it easier was to hold the throttle pegged and pull, which isnt easy. This seems to be a common problem with these, but I dont know what fixes it. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a '97 Formula 500 and '99 Formula Z 583 that can be hard to start warm under one condition. If the sled is run very hard, stopped and shut off immediately, it is hard to restart. If, after running the sled hard, I let it idle for about 30 seconds, I never have the hot start problem. Let it idle before you kill the ignition.

birddog said:
Alright Guys, I need some help. I have a 1996 MXZ 583 that is an absoulute beeeach to start when it is warmed up. It start and idles fine when it is cold, but as soon as I run it down the trail and shut it off, it wont start back up very easily (30-40 pulls) the only thing I could do to start it easier was to hold the throttle pegged and pull, which isnt easy. This seems to be a common problem with these, but I dont know what fixes it. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[snapback]266662[/snapback]​

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
birddog said:
Are you giving it 1/8th to 1/4 throttle when pulling?It should start right up if you do.
Mine will not start with out it and will start on the 1st pull if i give it an 1/8th throttle

·
Registered
301 Posts
I had a 96 with the same problem, replaced the neadle & seat in carb. tore carbs apart & found little piece of goo on neadle, could have cleaned & probaly would have been ok, but already bought parts. no problem after.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I was thinking the same thing about the needle and seat. Chances are yours are worn out or have some crud keeping them slightly open and flooding the engine. Have you ever removed your plugs to see if they are wet when you have problems? The other thing is rotary valve motors like lots of air to start. I always hold the throttle wide open when ever I start one.

·
Registered
81 Posts
let it idle for about a min before shuting it down and your problem will go away all the 583s i ride with do the same thing

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I have a 670. It acts the same way. If it doesnt start on the 1st or 2nd pull after it is warm, thats when I hold the throttle open w/ one hand & pull w/ the other. It will start after about 2nd or 3rd pull.
I was told the same thing about flooding. I has to do w/ the needles & the seat. The reason it starts when it is cold, is the gas that seeped in & caused the flooding when it was warm, has evaporated by the time you go to start it when its cold.
I am sure I made it as clear as mud for ya!

If I had to pull 30-40 times I would quit riding!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
psualum2 said:
I have a 670. It acts the same way. If it doesnt start on the 1st or 2nd pull after it is warm, thats when I hold the throttle open w/ one hand & pull w/ the other. It will start after about 2nd or 3rd pull.
I was told the same thing about flooding. I has to do w/ the needles & the seat. The reason it starts when it is cold, is the gas that seeped in & caused the flooding when it was warm, has evaporated by the time you go to start it when its cold.
I am sure I made it as clear as mud for ya!

If I had to pull 30-40 times I would quit riding!
[snapback]268853[/snapback]​
So is this as easy as getting a new needle and seat?

·
Registered
5 Posts
My '99 Formula Z 583 needed a new needle & seat during the first season I rode it, but the problem was plug fouling. Once the needle & seat were replaced, the plug problem was cured, but it still likes to be idled before I re-start hot, and yes, the rotary valvers like a bit of throttle on a hot-start.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
birddog said:
new year - same problem - any help???

·
My lifestyle determines my deathstyle.
2,124 Posts
i never had this problem with my old 583 but I would guess its a carb problem. Make sure your carbs are clean...one of the floats might be sticking causing it to flood when you shut it off.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a 99 formula DLX that had the same problem, letting it idle before shut down helped but the real issue was the base idle was set to low . After adjusting the problem was solved.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Had same problem on my '89 Stratos, '91 Safari LCE and 2 '97 Formula 583's. Different year machines with different engines but they all had same thing in common. The primer. Fuel would leak past the primer causing engine to flood. Gasket would harden in the primer after age. Try changing it out or remove and block the supply line after you've warmed it up and see how it starts once you're out riding. I used to see air bubbles in the line indicating the fuel was running into the carbs.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Had same problem on my '89 Stratos, '91 Safari LCE and 2 '97 Formula 583's. Different year machines with different engines but they all had same thing in common. The primer. Fuel would leak past the primer causing engine to flood. Gasket would harden in the primer after age. Try changing it out or remove and block the supply line after you've warmed it up and see how it starts once you're out riding. I used to see air bubbles in the line indicating the fuel was running into the carbs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts