Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a 1995 Arctic Cat zr 580 for my 12 year old that I recently sold. I'm thinking of getting a 99-2002 Mxz 500 for him but I would also like another cat in that year rage that has EFI preferably a ZL. Which sled would you choose and why? Pro and cons of both.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do realize that, but figured people would give info on the MXZ. Also I think most people on doo-talk have expirence with other brands as well, I know I have owned Yamaha and Cats myself.

·
Registered
808 Posts
What size engine for cat? The cat 500's are known gas hogs. The cat 600's of that era are comparable to the doo 500ss/600 motor. Either way a sled that era just needs to be gone through. My family has both zx and zr sleds. I personally like the 02 cat chassis the best out of all them. Wide running boards, coupled rear skid and to me the best handling sled of the two.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Can't speak for the Cat's, but I have a '98 MXZ 500 with 11,500 miles on it and it has been rock solid reliable. Never even opened the engine and it still runs like a champ. I have had to replace a few idler wheels, slides once, and carbides a few times. Also had to replace one of the Rave sliders because it got stuck once (didn't clean it soon enough), and it broke when trying to get it out. That's all I have ever done to this sled. Hope the newer ones are this good but somehow I doubt it.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
I had a 03 F7 efi. Thing was a monster but it always felt nose heavy compared to my rev. Other than that I had no issues with it besides the skid bolt holes eating themselves.

26 Posts
^...unless you're talking Fan engines...the MXZ 500 fan was on the S-chassis up to and including '01. I'm pretty sure the OP was talking liquid cooled, but throwing that out there just in case.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the respones, I think everyone has talked me into a MXZ. Probably 2000 or newer for the zx chassis. Either a 500 or 600. Should be plenty of sled for a 12 year old on the trails for a few years. Now we will both ride skidoo.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I would consider a Yamaha phazer as well. A little more money but rider forward, 4 stroke, rev, electric start, a fun sled to ride. I am 42 and take out a phazer a couple times a year because it is a fun sled. Also a perfect sled for a early teen.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts