Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16,788 Posts
Ok, has anyone ran an experiment of regular ethanol unleaded vs regular non-eth unleaded and recorded the MPG difference? I know my truck sucks on MPGs with cheap stuff(depends on the gas station though).

Or

Anyone done an experiment with regular ethanol unleaded and premium full gasoline?

Just curious of the effects with a lighter vehicle compared to a car/truck, I think I know the answer already though.

In the UP the Premium is waaaaaaay more expensive than the regular ethanol, so there's also that factor. Only so many more MPG of straight gas can affect the initial cost.

I got 10mpg with a Talon38(1.5) track and 21/45(2.14:1 ratio) in my 05 500ss, besides my gearing, I was running regular all week. Did have a few top offs of 91/92 though. I was thinking it was my gearing but maybe the ethanol was a factor as well?

Switching to 22/45(2.05:1 ratio) before next week.

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Non ethanol regular will get you the most power and best fuel economy.

·
Stay to the right, in your lane and slow down.
1,526 Posts
Ethanol blend fuels should really read "water attracting sponge" because that is exactly what Ethanol does = attracts and draws moisture.

I buy and run Non-Ethanol fuel wherever and whenever I can regardless of the price.

·
Registered
481 Posts
To me it's not really about energy, as long as the engine is fine with ethanol. It's more of a storage thing. When I expect an engine may be sitting awhile I try to use non-ethanol fuel, small engines, mowers, snowmobiles, etc...

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I did this exact same thing back in 2012... I was curios... below are my findings for my car.

Decided to do a little experiment to see what my MPG difference is between running the tank of ethanol E10 fuel found in all regular unleaded, and running a tank of non ethanol in non-oxy premium fuel. Test car was the 2002 Chevy Malibu with 230,000 miles; both tanks were burned driving to and from work only. Weather was about the same during the two tanks

First tank: Ethanol: 302 Miles burning 10.6 gallons of fuel: 28.4mpg

Second tank: Non Ethanol: 330.4 miles burning 10.2 gallons of fuel: 32.4 MPG. That is a difference of: 14% in the vehicle.

I tried to drive the same, I also tried to get as much in the tank as possible when I filled the car, I also filled both tanks up at around ¼ tank So, if fuel was purchased today (2012), ethanol it would cost: $.12/ mile: non ethanol: $.11/mile I'm thinking as long as they are within 10% of each other at the station, I'll fill with the non-oxy.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
There are a lot of things that can effect your gas milage. I have a 2014 Ford f150 with an ecoboost and use 87 octane with 10% ethanol. A couple weeks ago I went up to my lake home (180 mile round trip) and averaged 21 mpg. The following week I made the same trip and only got 17.5 mpg. Same speed same load. Here non ethanol gas is $2.17. E10 is $1.45. That's a 33% difference in price.

·
Registered
2018 MXZX 850 / 2011 MXZX 800 etec
1,527 Posts
I've tried ethanol and non non ethanol in my truck and wife's car and did not see any difference in gas mileage.
I also tried a higher 93 octane fuel in my truck when towing my trailer thinking the knock sensor might
be retarding the ignition timing, causing a loss in power and a decrease in gas mileage. I didn't find any difference in
power or gas mileage. What I did try was E-85 there I noticed a decrease in my gas mileage I was seeing
5 to6 mpg less than with oxygenated 87 octane. The truck is a flex fuel so it is engineered to run on E-85.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Just because it is engineered to run on an alternative fuel doesn't mean that the alternative fuel will work better than gasoline.

·
Registered
2018 MXZX 850 / 2011 MXZX 800 etec
1,527 Posts
Just because it is engineered to run on an alternative fuel doesn't mean that the alternative fuel will work better than gasoline.
I knew the results of E-85 was was going to be less mpg because of the lower BTU rating. I stated that the truck was a flex fuel so nobody was confused I tried E-85 in a vehicle not designed for it.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I hate ethanol but mostly for long-term storage.

I don't believe it makes a difference in MPG at least on your carbureted sled. Your 500SS is almost always running rich, so it's not going to notice the very small loss of BTU (my Viper always gets better MPG when the temps drop... because then it's not running as rich).

That Talon 1.5 is really heavy. I bet you lose 2-3mpg vs. the stock track. I lost 1-2 when installing my Ripsaw II 1.25.

·
Premium Member
27,910 Posts
A gallon of non ethanol gas produces 124,884 btu of energy. A gallon of e10 produces 120,096 btu. That's only about a 4% loss in energy. I don't think you would hardly notice the difference.
I like your post on the tests you did (quoted below). Regarding the 4% loss in energy, different E0 fuels will vary considerably in BTU and power. There is also the question of Air/Fuel ratio. For these reasons the E10 can easily show an increase in power over E0.

There are a lot of things that can effect your gas milage. I have a 2014 Ford f150 with an ecoboost and use 87 octane with 10% ethanol. A couple weeks ago I went up to my lake home (180 mile round trip) and averaged 21 mpg. The following week I made the same trip and only got 17.5 mpg. Same speed same load. Here non ethanol gas is $2.17. E10 is $1.45. That's a 33% difference in price.

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
Just confirming what some others have stated....

Ethanol blended fuels absolutely have an impact on fuel economy because of the lower energy content. The amount of impact to MPG depends on where you are driving; highway, city, hills, pulling a trailer, etc.

I have a Silverado that can run on E85, E10 and non-ethanol. Last year when wetrailered out to the Snowy Range, there was a lot of E85 in states like Iowa and Nebraska. It was cheap. I paid as low as $1.35/gallon. However, if your vehicle can run flex fuels like E85, you can expect to see a drop in fuel economy of 15 - 25% depending again on where / how you are driving.

When running the typical E10 gasoline, I was getting about 10 - 11 MPG pulling the trailer. I started using the E85 because I could fill up for less than $35 vs closer to $50. When I was running the E85, my fuel economy dropped to closer to 7 MPG so I was driving about 75 - 85 miles less per tank on the E85. So in the end I was not saving that much money running the E85.

The drop off in MPG isn't as bad if you run E10 vs. non-Ethanol.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts