Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my first mountain sled, a 154" Summit X and drive a 2017 Silverado with the 5.8 foot bed. I am wondering if anyone has any tips/pictures of hauling long tracks with short beds? I picked it up with a borrowed trailer. I do not want to buy a trailer because if I go out west to ride, I will be riding with friends that have enclosed trailers. I also do not want to deal with more axles, tires, registration, maintenance, etc that comes with a trailer if I do not have to. I will only really need to haul at most 100 miles one way a few times a year. I am debating making my own "single sled deck" like the Marlon one that is available. I have a welder and tools available to me and would feel comfortable making it, I am just wondering if anyone has made their own or owns one like it and what their opinions are. If someone has made one or has one, would you be willing to share some measurements and pictures? Any other tips or tricks? I am thinking with some angle iron, some plastic bedliner for ski guides, some caster wheels, tools, and a few days worth of planning/brainstorming I could have one made (hopefully a working one). One more question, where would be the best place to secure the sled? I am thinking one ratchet strap on each side going to the rear of the running boards from the tie down points in the pickup? I do not want to bend/break anything. This is my first post, hopefully I am putting this in the right spot. Let me know if it should be somewhere else!
Thank You

·
Registered
2005 Summit X 154 T-motion
817 Posts
My truck is an 09 with a short bed and get my sled in the back no problem with the tail gate down. The sled is a 154 as well. I wrap a ratchet strap around the bumper and hook the end to the truck tie downs. Sorry I dont have a picture.

·
Registered
2012 Freeride 137, 2020 FreeRide 154, 2022 XRS 900 T R
2,848 Posts
I hauled a 137 FreeRide for years in my half ton with the tailgate down. Then a 146 and now a 154 no issues. As my truck became older I did by those solid bars that attach to the tailgate to help with the weight so if the factory cables fail while loading I don't "crash". (Not sure it does much after the sled is in the box as all the weight is up front) I also have an enclose trailer but still prefer the single sled in the truck box by far! I use 4 ratchet straps that do not have any hooks, The strap is just a "loop" that feeds into the ratchet, sort of a pain to feed though everything but I know it is never going to become unhooked. I also put a "flag" on the sled read bumper just to ensure folks see it and and law enforcement will see care and time was taken to load it and it is safe. Do remember what you have hanging out the back. I try to back into parking to avoid others not seeing the sled and back into it at parking lots and so on.

Have fun!

·
Registered
2021 & 2022 BC XRS
8,878 Posts
Water Tire Wheel Sky Car
Wheel Tire Sky Cloud Vehicle

No problem at all hauling a 146 or 154 in a 5 1/2 box.
Just run a couple straps from the rear axle and ski spindles to the truck tie downs and it won't go anywhere.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My truck is an 09 with a short bed and get my sled in the back no problem with the tail gate down. The sled is a 154 as well. I wrap a ratchet strap around the bumper and hook the end to the truck tie downs. Sorry I dont have a picture.
Thank you for the response. I was a little nervous about the long track in the short bed but most of the weight will be up front on the sled.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hauled a 137 FreeRide for years in my half ton with the tailgate down. Then a 146 and now a 154 no issues. As my truck became older I did by those solid bars that attach to the tailgate to help with the weight so if the factory cables fail while loading I don't "crash". (Not sure it does much after the sled is in the box as all the weight is up front) I also have an enclose trailer but still prefer the single sled in the truck box by far! I use 4 ratchet straps that do not have any hooks, The strap is just a "loop" that feeds into the ratchet, sort of a pain to feed though everything but I know it is never going to become unhooked. I also put a "flag" on the sled read bumper just to ensure folks see it and and law enforcement will see care and time was taken to load it and it is safe. Do remember what you have hanging out the back. I try to back into parking to avoid others not seeing the sled and back into it at parking lots and so on.

Have fun!
Sounds good, thank you for the response. Where do you connect the 4 ratchet straps?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
View attachment 2000886 View attachment 2000885

Just run a couple straps from the rear axle and ski spindles to the truck tie downs and it won't go anywhere.
Thanks a lot for the pictures, it helps me visualize it a lot better. I like the idea of securing to the ski spindles a lot, might have to give that a try. I would probably feel a little more comfortable hooking to the rear axle as well, I do not want to mess up the rear bumper or tunnel somehow, probably will not happen but I worry about those things.

·
Registered
429 Posts
How do you guys typically get them in and out of the truck? That's always been the million dollar question for me and a reason why I've never hauled mine this way (besides not wanting my sled coated in salty splooge if its a nasty day on the freeway).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How do you guys typically get them in and out of the truck? That's always been the million dollar question for me and a reason why I've never hauled mine this way (besides not wanting my sled coated in salty splooge if its a nasty day on the freeway).
I have a 99 Polaris that I have just backed up to snow banks and rode it into my bed. Have not used ramps for that one. I was contemplating the single sled deck route for the mountain sled just to make it easier and we do not always have snow in Iowa to load it when loading up to go west.

·
Registered
2021 & 2022 BC XRS
8,878 Posts
I use my trailer in the winter because I'm usually hauling more than 1 sled but just pick it up and push it in the truck bed when moving it around in the off season. Easy with 3 guys, doable with 2.

·
Registered
2005 Summit X 154 T-motion
817 Posts
I use a snow bank to get my sled in out of the truck. I have not had good luck with the aluminum ramps, the skis seemed to stick on the aluminum instead of going up the ramp.

·
Registered
2022 Backcountry X Blue/Orange
182 Posts

Thanks for posting these. I have a 146, and with some quick measurements, I thought the skid would be sitting entirely on the tailgate of a 5.5' box F-150, so I've been looking for a 6.5' box. This just might make me reconsider a 5.5' box now.

·
Descending doooowwwwnnnnn
3,721 Posts
I purchased my first mountain sled, a 154" Summit X and drive a 2017 Silverado with the 5.8 foot bed. I am wondering if anyone has any tips/pictures of hauling long tracks with short beds? I picked it up with a borrowed trailer. I do not want to buy a trailer because if I go out west to ride, I will be riding with friends that have enclosed trailers. I also do not want to deal with more axles, tires, registration, maintenance, etc that comes with a trailer if I do not have to. I will only really need to haul at most 100 miles one way a few times a year. I am debating making my own "single sled deck" like the Marlon one that is available. I have a welder and tools available to me and would feel comfortable making it, I am just wondering if anyone has made their own or owns one like it and what their opinions are. If someone has made one or has one, would you be willing to share some measurements and pictures? Any other tips or tricks? I am thinking with some angle iron, some plastic bedliner for ski guides, some caster wheels, tools, and a few days worth of planning/brainstorming I could have one made (hopefully a working one). One more question, where would be the best place to secure the sled? I am thinking one ratchet strap on each side going to the rear of the running boards from the tie down points in the pickup? I do not want to bend/break anything. This is my first post, hopefully I am putting this in the right spot. Let me know if it should be somewhere else!
Thank You
If you have the money get a small aluminum trailer, i know i know you do not want a trailer. It will come in handy for other things over the years. Using a sled deck will leave the sled to get road salt/grime on it. Plus doing a backyard build..meh... With a trailer you get back from the ride and simply drive in and close the door. No cover to mess with in the cold/wind/freezing rain. You can keep tools/parts/spare gas in the trailer. I've had my Aluminum trailer for 17 years and not once have I ever wished had a sled deck. Trailer maintenance is minor and not that bad at all.

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
Drive it on, strap it down, you’ll be fine

·
Registered
55 Posts
Back when I was a youngster we used to lift our sleds into the back of our trucks when there wasn’t a snowbank high enough.
‘Now after having trailers for many years I never would think of lifting sleds again, but some refuse to own a trailer I guy who rides with us has a aluminum ramp with plastic guides for the skis it works very slick, If you are the only rider in your household the ramp system can save you a lot of money, not having to buy and insure and register a trailer along with the fuel savings of not having to pull a trailer these new ramp systems work very well.

·
East Coast Tony Administrator
61,983 Posts

Mine is only a 137 but no issues at all.
I use soft loops and grab the spindles and pull to the rear of the bed then grab the axle and pull to the front of the bed. Doesn’t move a fraction of an inch on a 600 mile trip.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive tail & brake light

1 - 20 of 21 Posts