Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 98 Formula Z Deluxe 583 with Reverse. Today i blew the motor and i was contemplating on rebuilding or swapping in another motor.

Question is can i put a bigger motor in there and what are my options? whats a reliable motor? should i swap another 583 in there? and what would be the biggest i could put in there?

thanks,brian

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Twizted said:
i have a 98 Formula Z Deluxe 583 with Reverse. Today i blew the motor and i was contemplating on rebuilding or swapping in another motor.

Question is can i put a bigger motor in there and what are my options? whats a reliable motor? should i swap another 583 in there? and what would be the biggest i could put in there?

thanks,brian
[snapback]712205[/snapback]​
anyone?

·
Registered
308 Posts
I'm just saying, it would be easier to get pistons, rings and a gasket kit(online or from a local ski doo place) and rebuild your motor. If your crank spins good, go for it. At least you will know what you have.
pretty sure an ok motor would be at least 5 bills.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yes a 670 will bolt rite in, However I would rebuild the 583 or purchase a good used one. They are good engines and there is plenty of them out there. Before you decide check yours out , cylinders out of round? need to oversize? any damage to rotary valve gear? Crank? Pepper the head? Find the cause then decide. Good Luck>

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Colors in Motion said:
Yes a 670 will bolt rite in, However I would rebuild the 583 or purchase a good used one. They are good engines and there is plenty of them out there. Before you decide check yours out , cylinders out of round? need to oversize? any damage to rotary valve gear? Crank? Pepper the head? Find the cause then decide. Good Luck>
[snapback]714065[/snapback]​
ok i took off the head and it looks like someone took a flathead screwdriver and basically scratched the top edge of the piston on the one side...clyinder wall it self looks good. but on the head right where the marks are on the piston are matching marks on the head. my guess would be a piece of the ring got chewed up between the piston and the head. Now can i reuse the head or no?

it still has the grinding noise too when the cord is pulled.

what do you guys suggest for rebuild? OEM parts or weisco?

:edit: now that i look @ it there is a single line score going straight up and down. the jug is gonna have to get bored now.

im thinking if i can find a decent deal on a 670 id just drop that in...i dunno

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.