Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all I want to thank Bill Cudney for his second to none costomer service in answering all my questions and even returning phone calls after I left messages on his voice mail. Thanks Bill.

I decided to put new rings in my 03.5 BM 800 this weekend before they went on me. The sled has 1100 miles on it and I had no symptoms of bad rings in my sled except a little hard starting cold sometimes. Also was having trouble getting Bills kit to pull 8000 rpm (would'nt do it). So I figured I'd replace them for piece of mind.

To my astonishment we pulled the jugs off and saw the piston had blow by, pitting and gouges on the carb side. The rings had little plating left, and the jug had a pit in it the size of a ball point pen. I wanted to puke. This thing ran fine, pulled fine, and idled fine. Plugs were nice and everything. The gouges in the piston were fresh you could tell. Looked like the piston was starting to rock and hit a cylinder port on the skirt. Oh yeah and the locating pin for the ring was all but gone, and had little wormy swirls on the piston above the ring.

So I stopped right there and called Ski Doo Monday and got a claim number and off to the dealer. Ski Doo said I had to take it to a dealer have them call Ski Doo and tell them what happened and Doo would decide if they would cover me seeing how my warranty was up by 6 months. Dealer called today and said I was covered and Doo is picking up the tab on this one. Boy am I relieved. Now I am waiting for the rings to come in because they are putting the better open mod rings in it so this wont happen again. Rings should be in Friday and I should be able to pick it up the same day.

So Ski Doo stood behind their product and I am not so sour now seeing I don't have to foot the bill on an 1100 mile motor. Just like Bill said: It's not a matter of if the rings are bad but when they will be bad. Because they will go bad. Replace those rings boys. It's cheap insurance. Thanks again Bill for all your help.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Had the same problem with one of my 600 HO motors. Ski-Doo put new jugs, rings and pistons at N/C. Glad I got the two year engine warrenty on my sleds. Runs great now.

·
Crazy Person
5,615 Posts
I agree!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I would also Like to thank Bill. My sled ran fine, I put Bill's kit in it and it wouldn't pull. I called Bill, and after some compression testing he told me to put rings in it. I took it to the dealer last week and told me there was no way the rings were bad. Well I just picked it up tonight with new rings under warranty, I'm gonna put Bills kit back in tommorow and see what it's like now.

·
Registered
525 Posts
bmr7c said:
First of all I want to thank Bill Cudney for his second to none costomer service in answering all my questions and even returning phone calls after I left messages on his voice mail. Thanks Bill.

I decided to put new rings in my 03.5 BM 800 this weekend before they went on me. The sled has 1100 miles on it and I had no symptoms of bad rings in my sled except a little hard starting cold sometimes. Also was having trouble getting Bills kit to pull 8000 rpm (would'nt do it). So I figured I'd replace them for piece of mind.

To my astonishment we pulled the jugs off and saw the piston had blow by, pitting and gouges on the carb side. The rings had little plating left, and the jug had a pit in it the size of a ball point pen. I wanted to puke. This thing ran fine, pulled fine, and idled fine. Plugs were nice and everything. The gouges in the piston were fresh you could tell. Looked like the piston was starting to rock and hit a cylinder port on the skirt. Oh yeah and the locating pin for the ring was all but gone, and had little wormy swirls on the piston above the ring.

So I stopped right there and called Ski Doo Monday and got a claim number and off to the dealer. Ski Doo said I had to take it to a dealer have them call Ski Doo and tell them what happened and Doo would decide if they would cover me seeing how my warranty was up by 6 months. Dealer called today and said I was covered and Doo is picking up the tab on this one. Boy am I relieved. Now I am waiting for the rings to come in because they are putting the better open mod rings in it so this wont happen again. Rings should be in Friday and I should be able to pick it up the same day.

So Ski Doo stood behind their product and I am not so sour now seeing I don't have to foot the bill on an 1100 mile motor. Just like Bill said: It's not a matter of if the rings are bad but when they will be bad. Because they will go bad. Replace those rings boys. It's cheap insurance. Thanks again Bill for all your help.
[snapback]272571[/snapback]​
Do you have a claim # i could use to show my retarted dealer? Thanks

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What you guys need to do if you want to get your sled done under "good faith" as Doo calls it is get a claim number first from Doo and then it is up to your dealer to convince Doo that it was a ring failure and not your fault. Mine covered me but tried to tell me it was because of detonation from bad gas. What a bunch of BS. I always run high octane and dry gas when I should.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
bmr7c said:
What you guys need to do if you want to get your sled done under "good faith" as Doo calls it is get a claim number first from Doo and then it is up to your dealer to convince Doo that it was a ring failure and not your fault. Mine covered me but tried to tell me it was because of detonation from bad gas. What a bunch of BS. I always run high octane and dry gas when I should.
[snapback]274161[/snapback]​
Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the MPEM supposed to correct itself for pre-detonation and or knocks?

·
Registered
14,289 Posts
Salt... you would need a knock sensor to accomplish this.. mpem can't do it without help.

an 03.5 BM rev didn't have a knock sensor to my knowledge..

·
Registered
464 Posts
Approx. how much would it cost to have the rings replaced if not under warranty? I still have my warranty until Oct. I also think mine is ok so far. But with my luch it'll go to hell in Dec.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fatboy said:
Approx. how much would it cost to have the rings replaced if not under warranty? I still have my warranty until Oct. I also think mine is ok so far. But with my luch it'll go to hell in Dec.
[snapback]274769[/snapback]​
I called my dealer before I decided to do it myself for a quote and he said something like $360. That was Doo updated rings and labor just to give you an idea.

·
Registered
8,790 Posts
saltalarev said:
bmr7c said:
[snapback]274161[/snapback]​
Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the MPEM supposed to correct itself for pre-detonation and or knocks?
[snapback]274165[/snapback]​
i believe that the computer only compensates for bad gas if you have sdi or power tech with the knock sensor

·
Registered
8,790 Posts
msatow said:
Had the same problem with one of my 600 HO motors. Ski-Doo put new jugs, rings and pistons at N/C. Glad I got the two year engine warrenty on my sleds. Runs great now.
[snapback]272601[/snapback]​
same thing happened with me! I had mine rebuilt last week at no charge (new jug-rings+pistons from the 05s) runs awsome now!!

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
djm said:
Salt... you would need a knock sensor to accomplish this.. mpem can't do it without help.

an 03.5 BM rev didn't have a knock sensor to my knowledge..
[snapback]274179[/snapback]​
ok...thanks. I didnt know that..

bmr7c said:
Fatboy said:
[snapback]274769[/snapback]​
I called my dealer before I decided to do it myself for a quote and he said something like $360. That was Doo updated rings and labor just to give you an idea.
[snapback]274787[/snapback]​
I am in the wrong biz if dealers are charging 360 to change rings!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts