Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to know what people think of the snocross/motocross helmet style compared to the modular helemt???? and if you buy a motocross helmet the same as a snocross??

·
Registered
6 Posts
:revinmotion: :Cheers
skidoorider91 said:
I want to know what people think of the snocross/motocross helmet style compared to the modular helemt???? and if you buy a motocross helmet the same as a snocross??
[snapback]300203[/snapback]​
snocross or motocross your choice. This style helmet awsome. You can read mogules alot better.Easy to change color lens.just change goggles from tint to clear for nite rides.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I agree with snobiz much better helmet, lighter and easier to change goggles then a shield. Also differance between snowcross and motocross is snowcross is insulated.

·
The Hawkeye State
1,786 Posts
I will never go back to full face helmets. Moto/snocross style helmets just feel less confining and restricting. I like to be able to hear and see with all of my senses. In a fullface helmet, it feels like your in a bubble, seperated from your environment. Goggles never fog and you can get any color lens you want. They do tend to run cooler than a full face but I have never been uncomfortable. For the physical, aggressive rider, moto is the way to go.

I run the HJC Vapor and highly recommend it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
well when its 50F. you can't argue a mx style helmet. but when its -20...expect frostbite. it happened to me 3 different times in 3 different spots. kids...they never learn. haha.

·
Registered
81 Posts
skidoorider91 said:
I just went to a snocross style three years ago and what a difference. You see and hear much better and you dont end up with "edit for bad language" BREATH from breathing the same air all day. I wear the amp blue lens goggles night and day. As far as the frost bite issue the closest I came was riding in -28 degree weather in WaWa Canada. There we were riding a 17 mile long lake BALLS OUT and creating on hell of a wind chill factor. Bottom line I have convinced two other riders in our group to go open face and we will never go back.

·
Registered
50 Posts
skidoorider91 said:
From my experience in a warm cilmate the snoX style is kicka$$ but i cant only wear mine without gettin frostbitten in april i have both use snoX in spring and bombardier modular the rest of the season but i will agree snoX cross looks and feels deadly just not to fond of frostbite

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
skidoorider91 said:
Where can i buy a SNOCROSS helmet????
[snapback]301177[/snapback]​
I cant tell the difference between my motocross and my ski doo "snocross" helmet, by that I mean one isnt any warmer then the other.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I switched to a moto-x helmet this year, and I love it. I agree with all that has been said above. Not only does it look better, but your vision, hearing, and breathing is all improved. My father has a Bombi modular, and to be honest with you, the thing looks dumb. Just thinking about having a big half-a-helmet up over my head makes me think poor design. The only problem I have run into with my helmet is my nose gets nipped a lot. I've probably peeled about five layers of skin off of my beak so far, so I'm getting used to it. But on a 10-20 degree day, that doesn't happen. Only when you're going 80mph in -17 degree weather does this occur, lol... I'm not too sure about price differences, I got mine on eBay for $35.00. I'm pretty sure that a modular would cost you a heapin' pile more than that, new anyways. You could probably get a good deal on a used one...

·
Registered
130 Posts
i wear an hjc sno x style w/ oakley goggles, never fogs, make sure you get goggles that will cover the open parts of your face.

if it ur riding somewhere and it gets that cold just be sure to have your duct tape with you... that will stop the wind, i.e. frost bite

just put some chapstick on your skin and stick the tape right to your face. it'll come off without too much trouble and stops the wind

or just tape up the gaps you may have on the helmet

always where a good baclava

I almost swithed to a modular... even bought one off my buddy used, but the the face shield didn't seal and he got frost bite on his cheek from it.

plus you always have to have your depends in the mouthpiece... some ppl call it the diaper, and those things cost like $8 for a pack

its not about looks its about being cold or not

·
Registered
53 Posts
Does anyone know of a product that actually works for fogging glasses and shields? I've tried about $80,099.46 worth of crap that doesn't work and haven't quite got the cash for an electric shield. Thanks.

homelesslunatic

·
Registered
130 Posts
just break the piggy bank and get the electric and be happy

alot cheaper than missing a corner that you couldn't see cuz ur shield was all fogged up

my dad has had one for about 4 years... swears by it

all the way to -20 and no fog... past that and it will around the edges

·
Registered
745 Posts
skidoorider91 said:
Where can i buy a SNOCROSS helmet????
[snapback]301177[/snapback]​
Hello! I put a link in my last post just above yours. If you don't like the one pictured they have every other mfr. and style. Free shipping. Check em out. I had good luck with them. BTW my helmet came with BOTH SnoX style visor, AND a double lens shield. You don't have to choose you get both styles with one helmet.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I use a snow cross with nose insert and gogels. Plus side is it is light and no fogging. Plenty warm with good baclava. Downside is peripheial vision is compromised. Really have to turn head to look back and be careful at intersections.
Joe

·
The Hawkeye State
1,786 Posts
If you do get a moto/ snocross helmet, look for one that comes with a breath box. This will keep out the draft and deflect your breath from your goggles. I wear a neoprene mask underneath too. Never had frostbite ar even been uncomfortable for that matter, no matter what the weather.

Of course I don't live in Canada or Alaska either!

·
Registered
81 Posts
homelesslunatic said:
Does anyone know of a product that actually works for fogging glasses and shields? I've tried about $80,099.46 worth of crap that doesn't work and haven't quite got the cash for an electric shield. Thanks.

homelesslunatic

[snapback]302091[/snapback]​
the best stuff I ve used is the same stuff I use on the shield of my hockey helmet. I bought it at the local hockey pro shop. Dont have it infront of me to give you the name.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Hey, I rode my THOR Moto-X helmet a few weeks ago when I was tooling around on the lake. It definitely felt better and everything seemed better until I started hitting speeds of 90+ MPH...The wind would get caught up under the visor and yank my head back!!! That wasn't too fun, Other than that, those things are awesome! I want a Snocross helmet!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts