Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in need of a PTO piston .020 overbore for my type 402 Rotax. I would by both PTO and MAG side if you had them. Mag side is ok to be STD size. This is on a 77 Futura 400. Cylinders are finger ported on this motor. I have not found anybody supplying these yet.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help. Question, if you compare the Boxer piston part number with the Ski Doo part number for the Nordic ect..

RH and LH part numbers seem crossed

page 271 Moto Ski Futura 400 has .020 pistons,

009-768-2 LH and

009-769-2 RH

versus on page 263 Ski Doo Nordic 399 .020 pistons

009-769-2 LH and

009-768-2 RH

It probably doesn't matter if I order both sides but they might have a misprint. SPX pistons it appears has more choice for over size 10,20,&40 for the Ski Doo 399. and cheaper. Is one brand better than the other?

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Good eye on that, I never noticed!

I have an old catalogue that I know has the correct numbers for R & L and I will look & post them later.

As you likely already know the old ski-doo Rotax type 401 had no finger ports and thus no holes in the the sides of the pistons.

The type 402 in Moto-ski only (1977-1979) did have the finger ports and had holes in the piston sides as you have.

Years back there was one piston for each engine. In later years Kimpex discontinued the older 401 pistons and said to use the Futura 402 (with holes) in all engines.

The SPX pistons may not have the holes for the finger ports as why they aren't listed for the Futura type 402. You may need to call them to confirm that unless you don't mind drilling them.

SPX or Kimpex ends up being debated but I prefer SPX.

What a REP from Recreation Supply told me was that in the China-Taiwan-Korea region there are 3 or 4 manufactures of pistons and 3 or 4 manufactures of rings. SPX is supposed to use the best (in materials & quality control) of each.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I'm going to email them and see what they have to say. I've never heard of the Boxer brand of piston. I just hope I can find what I need to rebuild this Moto Ski.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
They have a toll free number @ 1-800-667-7669

This is their main page:

http://recreationsupply.co/catalogs

Once you click on their main page there is a place to type in the part number and check the price and if they have in stock.

I checked their stock and they have:

009-769-2 5-in stock

009-768-2 4-in stock

From an old Kimpex catalogue the numbers that were correct with Kimpex:

09-769-2 20th over RH

09-768-2 20th over LH

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
If you have any issue contacting them PM me.

Two issues to watch out for on this engine.

One is the plastic caged bearings. The plastic cage tended to separate from the bearing.

The other is the MAG side crank seal. On many the crank seal for no reason would pop out against the stator plate. You could put a new one in and a little while later it would pop out again. It was like there was a fitment issue. What we did to some was drill two small holes (in the crankcase just outside the seal) 180 degrees apart and use a very small sheet metal screw with a washer to hit the edge of the seal.

Problem was solved.

Some glued the seal in.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well my cell company tells me that 800 number is not for my area. I e-mailed Recreation Suply, we will see if they will sell to the USA. If not, I may need to have someone in CA buy them for me.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bought it already from doo4u. He must have more than one. Thanks, sbexportinc has one PTO side .020

1 - 11 of 11 Posts