Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well my old man has a 03 800 x thats going to be hitting 8 thousand miles on his next ride , and thats 8 thousand trouble free miles if you can belive that! and hes been beating the snot out of it since day one it was ported and the head was machined a year ago and we threw knew rings in it just because it was torn down and they wernt even bad at 6 thousand miles good compression, got to talking about doing the lower end this summer, prolly a good idea right ? I herd the seals suck so what do u guys think.
 

·
Hurry, pull my string again!
Joined
·
2,181 Posts
I've nevr had trouble wiht the seals that Rotax uses. I know that without the reatiner some have worked loose, but otherwise they're cool.

Cheap insurance to change them though, and should be part of any bottom to top reconstruct.
 

·
Certifiable Sledhead and Cybertruck Reservation Ho
Joined
·
4,217 Posts
SDrev8HO said:
well my old man has a 03 800 x thats going to be hitting 8 thousand miles on his next ride , and thats 8 thousand trouble free miles if you can belive that! and hes been beating the snot out of it since day one it was ported and the head was machined a year ago and we threw knew rings in it just because it was torn down and they wernt even bad at 6 thousand miles good compression, got to talking about doing the lower end this summer, prolly a good idea right ? I herd the seals suck so what do u guys think.

[snapback]732983[/snapback]​
I've got over 8600 miles on my crank so far.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,938 Posts
You guys have got me beet, 5600km all stock crank, RKT 827 at 8300 rpm the last 1500km. got my fingers crossed now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts
muskokarev said:
My 04 600SDI has over 16000 miles on the crank.
[snapback]733570[/snapback]​
Sounds like you got a really good one and know how to take care of it. Have you had any real issues in all those miles?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,793 Posts
i got 8500 mi out of my crank(connecting rod bearing went ) installed a rebuilt crank from doo ($400) and new pistons($230) now i have alittle over 10,000 on the sled also rebuilt primary clutch at 7500 mi! i cant complain, the sled has not given me any problems other than those normal wear and tear items that i just mentioned! some may think that this is not a very good track record but 10k mi is alot of mi! its an 800 it wont last forever!
 

·
FAQ man
Joined
·
3,848 Posts
The Wayniac said:
infront again!! said:
my 03 600 ho finally let go last saturday at 19253kms
[snapback]733187[/snapback]​
i wonder how many revolutions that is total....
[snapback]733384[/snapback]​
Making 2 assumptions, an average speed of 35 mph, and an average RPM of 6500... it is just over 133 million revolutions.

I was bored.

Jerry C.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45,484 Posts
My bottom end has 15,000+ KM's on it, and I did pistons and rings at 12,500. No other problems with it....Everything looked fine in there!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
443 Posts
sleddude5 said:
The Wayniac said:
infront again!! said:
my 03 600 ho finally let go last saturday at 19253kms

[snapback]733187[/snapback]​
i wonder how many revolutions that is total....

[snapback]733384[/snapback]​


Making 2 assumptions, an average speed of 35 mph, and an average RPM of 6500... it is just over 133 million revolutions.


I was bored.


Jerry C.

[snapback]734062[/snapback]​
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,015 Posts
Snocat7

I had the rings replaced at 10500 miles, and at about 15000 miles I had new pistons and cylinders put on. I have B.E.S.T warrenty so it only cost me $75. Other than that I have only had a couple of small warrenty claims. And I don't drive that slow.
 

·
one fast 98 mach-z
Joined
·
1,328 Posts
muskokarev said:
Snocat7

I had the rings replaced at 10500 miles, and at about 15000 miles I had new pistons and cylinders put on. I have B.E.S.T warrenty so it only cost me $75. Other than that I have only had a couple of small warrenty claims. And I don't drive that slow.
[snapback]734760[/snapback]​
11,000 miles mach z 98 800 tripple engine never been touched. wish the sdi's were as dependable.
 

·
FAQ man
Joined
·
3,848 Posts
muskokarev said:
And I don't drive that slow.
[snapback]734760[/snapback]​
Someday, maybe over like a weekend trip, keep track of the hours on your sled and compare that to the miles you ride.

It's surprising how slow the average speed is.

I have about 145 hours on my sled and about 5000 miles, for an average speed of 34.5 mph.

Jerry C.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts
muskokarev said:
Snocat7

I had the rings replaced at 10500 miles, and at about 15000 miles I had new pistons and cylinders put on. I have B.E.S.T warrenty so it only cost me $75. Other than that I have only had a couple of small warrenty claims. And I don't drive that slow.
[snapback]734760[/snapback]​
Thanks for the reply. I have not had any problems either except minor ones that were taken care of by dealer/Doo. The dealer changed the rings of his own accord at about 2300 miles. Minor plug fouling issue until MAP updated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
snocat7 said:
muskokarev said:
Snocat7

I had the rings replaced at 10500 miles, and at about 15000 miles I had new pistons and cylinders put on. I have B.E.S.T warrenty so it only cost me $75. Other than that I have only had a couple of small warrenty claims. And I don't drive that slow.
[snapback]734760[/snapback]​
Thanks for the reply. I have not had any problems either except minor ones that were taken care of by dealer/Doo. The dealer changed the rings of his own accord at about 2300 miles. Minor plug fouling issue until MAP updated.
[snapback]735510[/snapback]​
if i were you i would change pistons too i have a 800 with 6000 miles on it and was told to change the pistons because of how much the skirts of the pistons wear and they flop around back and forth and sooner or later they will snap and do more damage. when i took mine apart to check that to see if he was telling the truth i couldnt believe how much they did wear i used a caliper and and checked the new pistons. and it slid right over the bottom of the pistons on the old ones and could see air between the calipers and the piston glad i changed them. i was told to change the pistons on a 800 at about 3 to 4 thousand miles i will be for now on just to be safe for 250 bucks better than new cylinders
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
378 Posts
The Wayniac said:
I've nevr had trouble wiht the seals that Rotax uses. I know that without the reatiner some have worked loose, but otherwise they're cool.

Cheap insurance to change them though, and should be part of any bottom to top reconstruct.
[snapback]733001[/snapback]​
Doo's crank seals are not cool. I had a retainer on mine and the inner one went and wiped out my crank. I hear of crank seals being replaced all the time. A retainer will save the outer seal but the inner is still naked and a time bomb waiting to go.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top