Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
No, it's not the right way to deal with any animal in the trail. I am a hunter, love a good moose steak. In the state I live in, the shooter would probably be charged with harassment of wildlife, and hunting moose out of season/ without permit. Whooping and clapping, while creeping further up the trail twords the moose, would be consitered harassment, and I'm sure the moose saw it as aggression. Should have taken a break and let the moose wander off. Winter is hard enough for them, without this jackwad killing them. Just stupid.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Wow. I was expecting a picture at most. I have almost hit one moose and have hit a couple deer, killing one at top speed and just grazing one last Wed with ski. All three scared the crap out of me and one injured me but this makes everything so tame by comparison.

It is only too bad he couldn't get some meat out of the ordeal but it probably wasn't worth the hassle of reporting it and taking any chances with a liberal reaction. I would say he handled it very well given the fact that one needs to react and decide instantly in this situation. Good job! I am sure something ate it but I wish it was me rather than some scavenger. It really makes me think different about when I encountered a Moose out west and when I got stuck way up the mountain about how ill prepared I was at the time.

·
Registered
818 Posts
No, it's not the right way to deal with any animal in the trail. I am a hunter, love a good moose steak. In the state I live in, the shooter would probably be charged with harassment of wildlife, and hunting moose out of season/ without permit. Whooping and clapping, while creeping further up the trail twords the moose, would be consitered harassment, and I'm sure the moose saw it as aggression. Should have taken a break and let the moose wander off. Winter is hard enough for them, without this jackwad killing them. Just stupid.
Wow, I am surprised at the reaction here. In hindsight he probably wished he hadn't creeped on it but he didn't creep once it started endangering him. That ship had sailed at that point!! Can't take it back. Have to move forward and protect yourself. Other option is try and back up but I don't know that was a good idea. That thing was about to charge again and how long are you going to wait? Seriously?

The creeping MAY be a lesson learned but I assume he just wanted to scare it off. Hell you see a Bison and they never flipping move. You have to damn near go right between them. I doubt he expected this reaction or intended to provoke it. He clearly tried to get it to run off. How many times do you let it charge you? What would be the armchair quarterbacks reaction be if the go pro video showed him getting killed the third time it came and it was learned that he had a firearm in close proximity found on him? Imagine the comments flying then about what an idiot he was. Darwin and such like I have seen all too often on here from the experts. Chill. He didn't set out to do this

·
Registered
818 Posts
And after watching a second time he clearly shot over it the first time and yelled at it one last time. Whatever he did wrong leading up to this point, if any, he had no choice but to react at this point in this situation. Sorry, but his life is more important than the Moose. Sad that people see it the other way around. This was a very dangerous predicament

·
Troll Patrol ®
15,529 Posts
And posted in CC thread.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
No it wasn't right. I as well as many other riders here in AK deal with this on a daily basis. You have to show some patience in a situation such as this. If he was in that big of a hurry he could have cut through the trees for a couple of hundred feet, no big deal. Gotta share the trail man, and sometimes you have to yield it, it's his backyard too, give moose a break. What a d**che

·
Registered
8,790 Posts
Wild animals are beautiful creatures and its exciting to get close to them. People dont always realize that these animals are dangerous and will defend themselves when they feel threatened. The snowmobiler forced the encounter and the moose was acting in self defence. The snowmobiler would not have had to defend himself if he would have used more/some common sence

·
Registered
116 Posts
The very beginning of this video shows the moose running away from him, while the rider continues down the trail. I think he should have stopped the very moment he saw the moose, and let it wander off on it's own. While I agree with protecting yourself if attacked, it doesn't give you the right to harass the animal into attacking you. This is how it looked to me. JMHO

·
Registered
818 Posts
No it wasn't right. I as well as many other riders here in AK deal with this on a daily basis. You have to show some patience in a situation such as this. If he was in that big of a hurry he could have cut through the trees for a couple of hundred feet, no big deal. Gotta share the trail man, and sometimes you have to yield it, it's his backyard too, give moose a break. What a POS
Coming from the midwest I encounter this with whitetail. This year several times in one day due to snowfall. I have also hunted my entire life and came across bear and other animals on the ground. I have deer had them walk down the trail for 30 minutes before reluctant to get off. A little blip of throttle and they usually jump off and they can get back there tranquility and can stop stressing out with there heart pounding wondering what to do.

But if I was out there again and hadn't seen this and came across a moose a second time I would have not thought of driving into the woods being a good approach I certainly wouldn't take my shorty off trail to go around. That seems silly.

Why not just have people get useful info out of this thread that this could happen and even thought the animal appeared to be going away that the proper thing to do is just wait before moving? He can't take that back but it doesn't make him an idiot.

Last Wed, the same day I hit a deer, we saw another come out of some cedars and run down the trail. The guy I was letting lead is a pretty bright guy but he kept following it down the trail. While usually it just jumps off we have a lot of snow this year and the animal didn't want to. I was trying to holler at the guy and was waving my arms hoping he would look back so we could just stop and let it go. It was clearly scared but he wasn't riding hard after it and he didn't look at it the same way. I have never seen a deer attack a sled and for someone visiting out west this thread could be useful. But instead it will end up with name calling and derogatory comments about a guy that I imagine feels bad enough about it already, and the thread will ultimately get locked. Shame put downs are more important than a useful thread. This isn't like the guys running down deer in Wisconsin or ducks in Michigan. Cut him some slack. Perhaps he got a freezer full of meat for his family to somewhat make up for the bad feelings he may have for getting himself into that situation. It could have easily happened to me before I saw this video

·
Registered
545 Posts
Lets not read into this people. the moose was not running away, look again. at times i wish i had a horn because deer wont move so clapping and help would be an option and as we see it did not work. this guy did not chase the moose he stoped. i cant say i wouldn't have done the exact same thing. lol there was no harassment.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Sorry, but he was way too close to that moose. The moose displayed all of the warning signs to back off, and the sledder continued to approach. I wouldn't be surprised if he was hoping he could try and "justify" killing something with his gun. Not only that, but he left the animal badly wounded without dispatching it. He makes me sick and he should be thrown in jail.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Sorry, but he was way too close to that moose. The moose displayed all of the warning signs to back off, and the sledder continued to approach. I wouldn't be surprised if he was hoping he could try and "justify" killing something with his gun. Not only that, but he left the animal badly wounded without dispatching it. He makes me sick and he should be thrown in jail.
BINGO !!!!!!!

·
Registered
818 Posts
The very beginning of this video shows the moose running away from him, while the rider continues down the trail. I think he should have stopped the very moment he saw the moose, and let it wander off on it's own. While I agree with protecting yourself if attacked, it doesn't give you the right to harass the animal into attacking you. This is how it looked to me. JMHO
Fair enough but coming from an area the has a different species(whitetail) this happens daily and they jump off and run away. Hundreds of people, hunters or otherwise, do this all the time with no ill effect. Perhaps even lowering the stress on the animal rather than having a 30 minute stand off. Perhaps not. If this was a local person that was very knowledgeable that Moose were prone to attack an oncoming snowmobiler I would fully agree. Yet having only seen a single moose in the wild(also on a sled), I would not realize that they are so aggressive compared to deer and that he was in danger right from the start. I doubt he did either. So this thread is useful to many people and perhaps many Moose. Let's not try so hard to shut it down!(comment is for everyone not singled out you)

Nevertheless I like the tone of your second post. Not so much your first resorting to childish name calling. So much of that here already. Mostly from the children

1 - 20 of 150 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.