Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At work we have a couple of 2011 skandic 550f wt's in our fleet, and we travel across northern Manitoba (including the Hudson Bay Coast) performing all sorts of water measurement no matter the air temperature (unless helicopters are involved). These skandics are tanks and perform to the task, but they are a pain to start in cold weather.

We often have to trailer a couple hours to a location to start snowmobiling from before daybreak occurs, therefore leaving the sled running from the shop is not an option. With us starting early in the day, the temps are always cold and electric start is never reliable. Just to access the recoil rope we are breaking clips and plastic from the hood/side panels in these temperatures. Has anyone modified a side panel so the recoil is accessible externaly without sacrificing too much rigidity of the side panel?

There is the option of having the battery in the truck in the morning, but we've had to watercross over open water in -30 weather last week and our bendix gear on the starter froze and wouldnt catch the starter ring on the crank. And considering all the other gear we have to make sure to bring, it would be too easy to forget to put the battery in the truck after removing it...

So any tips or pointers?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,665 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the link! I'll look it over and maybe bring it up to my boss. Convenient boosting would be nice. Can't really put a battery under the seat as we keep a fire extinguisher and spare belt there.

And it definitely is a blast! Last week I was water skipping in about 3-4ft of water since a large river jammed with ice and the water staged, flooding some land. The first pass to our work site broke the layer of 1/2" ice. If crossing water (especially with a passenger and sleigh), I recommend hi gear. Haha One of our guys got stuck at the edge of slush...

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts