Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the 13' GSX-SE's off the trailer today and noticed one of them was missing the Mode/Set switch cover. I found it on the trailer floor along with one of the springs ( I believe it needs two springs).. Any way I found another spring of the same size and tried to reinstall the switch. The switch will not stay in place. I think there's a plastic "catch" that's broken inside the switch housing. I looked up the part and you have to buy the whole left handlebar housing that includes the start/reverse switch. It does come with the wiring that goes to a connector. The cost is $240!!!! I can't fix the switch or don't know how. Anyone else have this happen? If so, how did you fix it? Anyone know of one available anywhere for a reasonable price? Also, If I find one, how hard is it to fish the wiring and connector down to where it plugs in?

Reactions: 199Mods

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Hmmm, surprised you haven't read about this a hundred times. Sounds like the typical issue with the left hand controls on sleds stored in hot trailers.
IIRC replacement is the fix and a white trailer is the cure.

·
Registered
13,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
White trailer, inside garage and ventilated. Northern MI. A couple days in the 80's this summer. 10 years w/o this issue. Oh well. Sure would like to hear about a fix. I was thinking about drilling a hole through the middle of the switch, drilling and tapping for a small screw in the housing but fear I might drill into something I'll regret

·
Registered
13,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll most likely bite the bullet and buy a new switch housing so now the only question is how hard is it to route the wiring, I'm fearing a lot of disassembly will be required. The wire from the housing goes into the handlebar pad and I assume from their it follows the steering post down. There are the M+S switches next to the guage cluster so it's not critical to have the rocker switch on the left handlebar housing but I'll need to seal it up somehow to keep snow/water out with the switch missing or just epoxy the switch in place

·
Registered
13,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good idea. I was able to press the M+S switch back into the housing w/o the springs and it stays. There is no momentary function now because there are no springs but funny enough, I can't pull the switch back off now. It's loose because there's no steel ball or springs but it catches on something like it's supposed to and it might just stay on. (or it will fall off on the first ungroomed trail) I might just put some tape over it and leave it as is. In many years of ski doo ownership I've never had a switch problem before this one. I guess I've been lucky

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Tic

If you decide to get a new one the best place for parts seems to be partzilla.com.

part number 515177509 $193.50

Ebay has them for 186. Looks like they just sold 6 of them, says they are a dealer. Use part number to check listings. Leaders is 199
Anyways thought I'd let you know

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Way I see it you have nothing to gain by not trying your very viable repair.

Fix it save dough. Bust it?

Just replace it it will live another 10 more years hopefully.

·
Registered
13,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks TNT, and yeah 199, I'm going to just see if the switch stays on as the loss of momentary action is no big deal to me. It just snapped back in place w/o the springs but wouldn't WITH the springs

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
This has happened twice to me. M&S I can live without, but not the start/reverse one.

I used to remove it at the end of the season and store it in my basement. It's very easy to remove and reinstall. Be careful you don't pinch and break your handwarmer wire (take a picture).

I loosen the brake assembly and push it away. Then remove the 4 torx. I forgot what size, but you will need a long one (I have a "nut driver") version. I recall the screws being pretty tight.

A couple of connectors on the switch and a small lead that goes to a connector under the handlebar pad. The connectors are different sizes and keyed, so no worry about their orientation.

·
President and Founder of Team Grampa
1,616 Posts
Have had it happen twice, and on the way to a third. Sucks. Never had it happen with any other sled. No fix that I know of other than replace. It's not hard, just a PITA.

My trailer is gray, and I have no option but to keep it stored outside. Last year I installed a crank-up roof vent (like in a camper) to provide more ventilation. Jury's still out as to whether it will be effective.

·
Registered
13,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If the connector is under the handlebar pad it can't be that bad to install the new switch housing. Thanks for the heads up on being careful of the handwarmer wire. I should just order the part as both 1200's are going into their 11th season and it sounds like it will most likely happen again either to this sled or the other one.

·
Registered
13,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I ordered the switch housing. Thanks for the help guys. I might be back when it's time to try and install it

Reactions: 199Mods and tnts4me

·
Registered
56 Posts
Funny you bring this up. I found mine on the right running board this summer. I thought maybe a squirrel (always in my garage if I leave the doors open) had plucked it off and then dropped it. I snapped it (more like a soft click) back into place but found it off again later. I keep my sled in the garage under a thin dust cover. I was going to attach it with some grey RTV just so I don't lose it. Weather is colder now so not sure the RTV will cure. Button no long works, but I can still use the buttons on the dash. All the other buttons on the left bar still work so I'll go without for now.
I didn't realize there was springs behind it, maybe they're laying on the garage floor or running board somewhere.

·
President and Founder of Team Grampa
1,616 Posts
If the connector is under the handlebar pad it can't be that bad to install the new switch housing. Thanks for the heads up on being careful of the handwarmer wire. I should just order the part as both 1200's are going into their 11th season and it sounds like it will most likely happen again either to this sled or the other one.
They're not, unfortunately. You have remove the hood, headlight, and cowling to get at them.

·
Registered
13,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh great

·
Peanut Gallery
32,323 Posts
I also had this problem over the summer. Sled is kept inside shed. 13’ gade
Was hoping I don’t have to buy the whole control.
But sounds like I might have no choice
I did find both springs and the button

Sent from the bakery using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts