Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an intermediate width RAS1 front end on my sled (Its an expedition, same front end as a back country or freeride). I picked up a 42" RAS2 kit to upgrade shocks and try a wider front end.

Now I am second guessing the wider front end part of the equation. I drive the sled out the back gate of my yard to hit the trails, and it is pretty tight already. I also have some wider skis to install too.

I was thinking about selling or trading my RAS2 kit and just upgrade shocks, but then I started thinking, if I ran the RAS1 narrow spindles and set the stance narrower, with the long A-arms, I would only pick up about an inch or so in total width over the intermediate arms set wide. Is this doable with just the taller ball joints? Any reason the remaining parts wouldn't work together as well?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Without seeing the actual items I'm trying to envision in my mind what could possibly happen and ask a good question!! LOL

Which shock would you use? One of the shocks is made for one of the designs and the other shock for the other design...is this intermediate solution going to call for a different shock length? If the RAS1 shock still works is there anything in the new A-arm that could bind up on it? Or is it wide open in the middle with plenty of breathing room?

I guess that's all I can come up with...maybe use the new shock and it will just be compressed a little bit at "full extension"?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Suspensions components are designed to work as one unit. The kinematics and dynamics of the assembly as a whole is engineered. That being said I would not switch out parts other than shocks.

I have a 2015 Expy Sport that I have considered upgrading to RAS2 w/HPG shocks. Have driven a couple of Renegade Adrenalines and the front suspension is a huge difference in corners and bumps. For me the extra ski width will only help on the trails and I don't see it as being a hindrance the modest amount of off-trail I do.

What are your expectations of the RAS2 suspension on your sled?

-Ed

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Your best option for this would be to keep all the ras2 parts except the aarms. Then order the aarms from the 15-16' freeride in the 39" overall width.. then sell the wider ras2 aarms on craigslist. If the ras2 42"arms you have are in new condition, a good dealer would swap you out for the value of them. I know my dealer would.. i dont get why doo offers the ras2 front end in a "kit" for the 36" and 42" but not the 39" stance that comes on the freeride. You have to order them all indivually. someone at brp needs to pull their head outta their butt on that one...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts