Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Just bought a 440X for my son and am wondering how everyone mixes oil and gas on the trail when you are in need of fuel. I know the part about having things premarked and all that stuff but do you put the oil in the tank and then the gas and shake it up or what.........

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Save yourself a lot of time and energy and put in oil injection. Not hard at all! I actually think there is one on ebay right now for a very very good price. Then you just have to find the tank. Saves a lot of headaches. But if you insist on mixing I suggest getting a ratio right cup. Or just mark the tank. Well most tanks have the little notches in them, but you can mark them as well for every 2 or so gallons and just put in whatever oil you need to. Some guys say ALWAYS ADD OIL FIRST! But I have done it the other way just so I can tell for sure how much gas I am adding. Once you get going down a trail it will mix itself up good enough. I know some guys that dont even measure. Just look at the amount of fuel they put in and then just add some oil. But they did measure the first few times. But now they dont measure. And to this day they have never had problems from it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
As mentioned above, I was one of those guys... first added oil then gas.. what a Pain in the "edit for bad language"...

Now I fill up, look at how much gas, measure the oil and dump it in. Either let the bumps mix it or will shack the sled a bit... 1000+ miles this way and no issues. Your buddies will also like whereas it is 100X's faster to do the gas then oil, plus you can fill up all the way.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Just top it up with fuel and throw in the oil by using a ratio rite always carry extra fuel already mixed some people think its a pain in the A** but it only takes a couple extra seconds .

·
Registered
836 Posts
I would love to put in oil injection this year. Love the sled just hate mixing. I also put oil in after i fill up when on the trail. At home two premix 5gal jugs.

·
Registered
124 Posts
mrschendel said:
I would love to put in oil injection this year. Love the sled just hate mixing. I also put oil in after i fill up when on the trail. At home two premix 5gal jugs.
[snapback]745957[/snapback]​
I fill up with gas first then add the oil measuring with a ratio rite. That way if you put in 4 gallons you can mix it to 4 gallons and not have to guess first. I also carry a 1.5 gal can on the back of my sled and use a back pack to carry the oil and extra plugs and such. I dont mind mixing oil and gas at the pump at all.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I always mix in on the trail... I even disconnect the injector on any 2-stroke I have because its more reliable, and you can mix at your own ratio.

·
ryan450r
336 Posts
Used a ratio rite to mark a couple containers for the proper mixture for the long hauls... for the short hauls I just bring a couple of those little chainsaw size oil containers just in case I need a 1/2 a tank to get home or somethin.... SO easy to dump into the tank... it's so not a big deal at all. All my buddies have oil inj. sleds. I take about 30sec. more at the pump but noone seems to mind.

·
Out of a job yet? Keep buying your foreign cars an
1,279 Posts
There is nothing hard about pre mixing at the pump. If you can do math, once you know the ratio, it's only a matter of adding up the # of ounces of oil per gallons of gas you put in.

One thing though, Make darn sure you don't fill the gas all the way to the top of the neck so you don't have any room to add oil.

·
ryan450r
336 Posts
MXZ800DUDE said:
One thing though, Make darn sure you don't fill the gas all the way to the top of the neck so you don't have any room to add oil.

[snapback]746287[/snapback]​
Yes, good advise... I learned the hard way too

·
Out of a job yet? Keep buying your foreign cars an
1,279 Posts
RedRizza said:
Yes, good advise... I learned the hard way too

[snapback]746306[/snapback]​
I didn't do it
, but I watched a buddy Doo it to his 01 440X

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
you should never mix at the pumps cause u just get big blobs of oil in ur gas and 1 min ur running way the hell to rich and the next minute wayy to lean and if u run lean to long then ur engine goes boom, i suggest mixxing in a jerry can before u go out and get it exact or just spend the extra few bucks and headaches and put on oil injection

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
i doit all the time.......no worries man.........

also there is also fuel left in the tank at the time so it wont lean out rightaway..........by the time you get two minutes down the trail its mixed...........

·
Registered
126 Posts
brs2002 said:
Just bought a 440X for my son and am wondering how everyone mixes oil and gas on the trail when you are in need of fuel. I know the part about having things premarked and all that stuff but do you put the oil in the tank and then the gas and shake it up or what.........
[snapback]745448[/snapback]​
My 14 year old mixes his 2000 440 with a ratio rite, puts gas in first and looks at gallon amount and then puts in oil afterward. Just has oil caddy on each side in footwells. Took a couple times for him to get it but know he has it down pat. Oil will mix when your bombing down the trail.

·
Registered
311 Posts
flappingflag said:
you should never mix at the pumps cause u just get big blobs of oil in ur gas and 1 min ur running way the hell to rich and the next minute wayy to lean and if u run lean to long then ur engine goes boom, i suggest mixxing in a jerry can before u go out and get it exact or just spend the extra few bucks and headaches and put on oil injection
[snapback]749384[/snapback]​
I have to disagree

·
Registered
4 Posts
if you are completely, or very close to empty, oil then gas. if you are like 1/3 or more u can add the gas then oil. our outboard race motors are very fussy unless you run straight homogenious mixture. the compression isnt all that high if you have the LC head so you can probly get away with it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
i fill up water bottles with enough to pre-mix, 2 or 2.5 or 3 gallons or whatever you want and just put them in a packback with my sparebelt, plugs, wrenches, etc.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts