Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone from the Fairbanks or Anchorage AK area? Has anyone moved to either place from the New England area?

My wife is up there interviewing for a job this week. Actually it's two different jobs, one in Fairbanks, and one in Anchorage. Both of them would start in August. We think Fairbanks would be our first choice. It would be quite the moving adventure, all the way from VT, but we're up for it!

Not really sure what I'd be able to find for a job in either area, but I'd figure something out. I could work as a truck driver or mechanic, or I could go back to working with computers if I really had to. I guess truthfully I'd do anything I had to do to make it work out for us up there.

We also have two kids - 10 & 12, and I'm wondering what it would be like for them.

Let me know what you think...

·
ITs WINTER!
7,497 Posts
Come up north and enjoy the SNOW!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
06MXZXRenegade800 said:
Come up north and enjoy the SNOW!!!!!!
[snapback]692209[/snapback]​
That's the plan - although I admit I'm not sure how much time I'd want to spend outdoors when it's -40F.

·
ITs WINTER!
7,497 Posts
Thats why you need a nice warm shop with a remote for the door. have everything nice and toasty, pop the door go around the block and straight back in the shop with minimal frost bitten appendages!

·
Just Killin' Time Till Summer
1,258 Posts
Julius Seizure said:
That's the plan - although I admit I'm not sure how much time I'd want to spend outdoors when it's -40F.
[snapback]692214[/snapback]​
Actually when you live in a colder climate it doesn't seem as bad
I went for a rip this morning for an hour when I left the house
it was -28 C, Just dressed for it and had a blast.
When I got home I strapped on the Snow Shoes and went for a 45 minute stomp in the woods.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Anchorage would be my choice between the two. Fairbanks gets really cold in the winter. -40 is the norm for the interior. Anchorage is near the inlet so temps are much milder. If you want to live in a little more rural area and be able to snowmachine/4-wheel right from you house, yet still be close to good schools, hospitals and shopping - look at moving to Wasilla or Palmer. They're only 60 mils from Anchorage. There's a lot of good riding that's more centrally located from Anchorage also.

You wouldn't have any trouble finding work as a truck driver in Fairbanks of anchorage. There's a lot of construction going on and drivers are always in short supply, especially if you're on owner operator.

You can start by looking at the Alaska Job Service site, also try Lynden, Alaska West Express, Carlile. They're the major trucking companies in Alaska. Or if you like shift work, you can find a job on the North Slope like 05SDI, High Life, Hatchers and I have. We work 2 week on and 2 weeks off 800 miles away from Anchorage in the Arctic oil fields. The days are long but the pay is good, I work 14 days straight, 12 or more hours a day.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I currently reside in the Palmer area, which is roughly 45 minutes north of Anchorage. Born and raised in Alaska.

If you do move....I'd hope for Anchorage if I were you. Fairbanks, being in the interior of Alaska...usually has warmer summers and colder winters. Anchorage, being in the southeast part of the state...usually has miler summers and milder winters. Nothing against Fairbanks, but the winters can be harsh! IMO

If you have any questions about Anchorage and the
Matanuska Valley, do not hesitate to ask, as I'm sure my fellow Alaskans would be more than happy to answer any and all that they can.

AKRNGDX

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Irondog said:
Anchorage would be my choice between the two. Fairbanks gets really cold in the winter. -40 is the norm for the interior. Anchorage is near the inlet so temps are much milder. If you want to live in a little more rural area and be able to snowmachine/4-wheel right from you house, yet still be close to good schools, hospitals and shopping - look at moving to Wasilla or Palmer. They're only 60 mils from Anchorage. There's a lot of good riding that's more centrally located from Anchorage also.

You wouldn't have any trouble finding work as a truck driver in Fairbanks of anchorage. There's a lot of construction going on and drivers are always in short supply, especially if you're on owner operator.

You can start by looking at the Alaska Job Service site, also try Lynden, Alaska West Express, Carlile. They're the major trucking companies in Alaska. Or if you like shift work, you can find a job on the North Slope like 05SDI, High Life, Hatchers and I have. We work 2 week on and 2 weeks off 800 miles away from Anchorage in the Arctic oil fields. The days are long but the pay is good, I work 14 days straight, 12 or more hours a day.
[snapback]692248[/snapback]​
Good to know. I've actually been to Anchorage, but it was in the late summer.

Since she's the big earner between the two of us, it's ultimatley going to be up to my wife to decide where we go, or even if we go at all. For whatever reason, I'm attracted to Fairbanks. I want it remote and cold. I really wouldn't be disappointed with either place.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yellow Fever said:
Wow, I'm excited for you. I've always wanted to live in Alaska. Got a need for teachers up there???? My wife is a great one.
[snapback]692252[/snapback]​
I'm trying not to get too excited yet - even after flying her up there, they may not want to hire her. They are considering other people as well.

Selling my house and moving is really going to stress me out...

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I'd say go for it, I had the oportunity to live/work in North-Pole, AK, when I got out of high school last year, but went to college to learn to be a diesel tech instead.

Whats the need for diesel/truck/equipment technitians up there?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
AKRNGDX said:
I currently reside in the Palmer area, which is roughly 45 minutes north of Anchorage. Born and raised in Alaska.

If you do move....I'd hope for Anchorage if I were you. Fairbanks, being in the interior of Alaska...usually has warmer summers and colder winters. Anchorage, being in the southeast part of the state...usually has miler summers and milder winters. Nothing against Fairbanks, but the winters can be harsh! IMO

If you have any questions about Anchorage and the
Matanuska Valley, do not hesitate to ask, as I'm sure my fellow Alaskans would be more than happy to answer any and all that they can.

AKRNGDX
[snapback]692249[/snapback]​
I've heard that the climate in Anchorage is similar to what I'm used to in VT. It seems like it might be a bit colder though - when I was there a couple years ago, it seemed like every car parked on the street had a block heater cord hanging off of it - you don't see much of that here...

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
T said:
Whats the need for diesel/truck/equipment technitians up there?
[snapback]692287[/snapback]​
I'm sure you could find something.

I gave up turning wrenches for driving. I had a hard time making much money as a truck mechanic. I had never formally gone to school for it though, and I admittedly wasn't the best.

I liked driving over the road. I made good money, and got to be left alone. It didn't really fit in with raising kids though. Now I drive dump truck in the summer, and dispatch for the same company in the winter. For me, dispatching really isn't ideal, but it pays the bills.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Julius Seizure said:
therealsnowdog said:
Man, I guess that memo is not getting out like it should.
[snapback]692297[/snapback]​

[snapback]692308[/snapback]​
I made a crack to some other guy that there was a memo saying the state is full and I guess it hurt his feelings.

-20 is the HIGH in Fairbanks today. I do not think it has gotten much warmer then that all month and I know it has gotten much colder then that. They had -50 last week. That is just too cold.

South Central is much better. You would be able to find a job pretty easily. They are always looking for dump truck drivers in both the summer and winter. Like Irondog said, especially owner operators.

Oh yea, you may want to upgrade your sleds before you get here. That little Iron won't get you far unless you stick to the trails. The trails suck here, there is little to no grooming and little to no signing. The hills are the place to be.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I'm trying not to get too excited yet - even after flying her up there, they may not want to hire her. They are considering other people as well.

Selling my house and moving is really going to stress me out...
I hear you but it's still exciting. Once your committed (in your heart) you won't stress so much about the house and moving. JMO

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
therealsnowdog said:
I made a crack to some other guy that there was a memo saying the state is full and I guess it hurt his feelings.

-20 is the HIGH in Fairbanks today. I do not think it has gotten much warmer then that all month and I know it has gotten much colder then that. They had -50 last week. That is just too cold.

South Central is much better. You would be able to find a job pretty easily. They are always looking for dump truck drivers in both the summer and winter. Like Irondog said, especially owner operators.

Oh yea, you may want to upgrade your sleds before you get here. That little Iron won't get you far unless you stick to the trails. The trails suck here, there is little to no grooming and little to no signing. The hills are the place to be.

[snapback]692329[/snapback]​
Oh that memo!

The sleds, along with almost everything else we own, will probably have to be sold before we move. It's just to far to bring a bunch of "stuff"...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts