Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found some mice eating through the cover of my 10' rev xp and 00' indy 700. The mice built a nest in the air box of the indy and nothing in the ski doo, both sleds had moth balls on them. So i shook the doo's cover and a mouse ran out of it, and i sucked the nest out of the indy with a vacum then shook the sled and 2 mice ran out of it. So i put a full box of mothballs on the 2 sleds and also a full box of dryer sheets, and poison in each corner of the shed. should i leave the covers on or off or any other suggestions for prevention. thanks

·
Registered
361 Posts
I found some mice eating through the cover of my 10' rev xp and 00' indy 700. The mice built a nest in the air box of the indy and nothing in the ski doo, both sleds had moth balls on them. So i shook the doo's cover and a mouse ran out of it, and i sucked the nest out of the indy with a vacum then shook the sled and 2 mice ran out of it. So i put a full box of mothballs on the 2 sleds and also a full box of dryer sheets, and poison in each corner of the shed. should i leave the covers on or off or any other suggestions for prevention. thanks
Get a cat?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Their are a couple barn cats

·
Registered
948 Posts
Yep,cat's r the answer,my little black female cat,brings about 4 or so a day to my doorstep,i'm like good cat,let her or them hang out in the garage for a while.

·
Registered
517 Posts
i tape off everything and use steel wool so those buggers dont get into the motor. we keep all our stuff in a small hobby barn without animals except my kitty. shes a champ mouser.

G

·
we got 6 cats here at the farm house and i have not seen a live mouse in the 3 yrs iv'e been here. x2 on the cat. lol

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Should i put the covers back on or leave them off the sleds. I'm not sure because if the covers are off theirs air flow through the sled, or if the covers are on the bounce & moth balls build up the odder under the cover

·
Registered
1,144 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Should i put the covers back on or leave them off the sleds. I'm not sure because if the covers are off theirs air flow through the sled, or if the covers are on the bounce & moth balls build up the odder under the cover
You mean odor under the cover, I would say keep the covers on.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Poison only leaves a stinky body somewhere, I use mouse traps with peanut butter, just keep checking and resetting, once you clear them out , you eliminate breeding and more mice. In the fall I do a sweep of shop, garage, shed, basement until the snow comes. They tend to stay put in the winter, so you don't get any new ones moving in.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I had a couple of exhaust plugs from my 4-stroke dirtbike days that snuggly fit in the airbox port & exhaust so the motor is protected. I don't think it matters if your covers are on or off.. The nasty little critters will find their way into your sled if they want in bad enough....

·
Registered
545 Posts
Moth balls and dryer sheets will do nothing to keep them away!! They will chew the dryer sheets up and use them for a nest!! You kind of shoot yourself in the foot using them! The only way to keep the mice out is to keep them out of your storage place. Keep it sealed so they can't get in. If you have the sleds parked outside they will surely make your sled a house!!

·
Registered
999 Posts
keep covers on

·
Registered
842 Posts
as mentioned, the dryer sheets and moth balls don't work. I bought a sled a few years back that had mouse damage to the cover and when the hood was opened up they had taken up refuge in the box of moth balls by the clutch and used the cover for bedding. Wished I had taken a picture.

Like many have mentioned... seal up area your storing if its possible. Mice and Rats are virtually blind, they tend to make their way around your dwellings by running along the walls. Set some snap traps along walls inside and outside and knock out the population. You'll catch several the first few days until they're wiped out but leave a few traps around to catch others that show up.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Fill 5 gallon pail with about 8 inches of water. Place a piece of wood or material (i used door trim) from the ground up entending over the top of the pail (yes, it will be a sharp angle). Tie a piece of string to the end of the wood entending out of over the pail down about 4 inches so its still several inches away from the water. Take a piece of something (i used a plastic bottle cap) , drill a hole in it and tie it to the end of the string. Put a big gob of peanut butter on it.

Mice try to get the peanut butter and fall in/drown. Problem solved. I have killed hundreds of mice. No more mice problem. Free setup.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts