Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new to Doo coming from Yamaha and I'm loving it. I picked up a 2020 bcxrs with the 146" X 1.6" cobra that I added iGrip studs to and I'm really impressed with it on the trails. So far due to the lack of snow in the northeast I don't dare to go off trail without risk of damaging the sled. All most all of my riding will be on trail anyway so that how I'm setting up my sled. I wanted to thank everyone for the numerous post questions and the people that responded to them. From your info I was able to setup the sled almost spot on for my first three day ride. When I came back I went thru the machine to adjust for break in parts that stretch and I only increased the center shock pre-load to decrease ski pressure a bit. I went back up for another three days and I feel the sled is spot on in stock form. I couldn't have done it without this forum and I wanted to thank you all for getting me up to speed so quickly.

So now for my ski/carbide question. I really like riding tight technical trails and I know I would have been better served buying a Renegade for that type of riding but I wanted the off trail capability of the crossover. I have ZERO regrets for buying the bcxrs and I understand the trade-offs. I bought it for the times when we get 1'-2' of pow and I don't have to worry about going out to play. I feel I'm riding the sled in its stock form on trails to its full potential. I almost forgot, I did add the ZRP +1 spindles right out of the gate and run it at 42". Only on the really tightest of trails I wish the sled would track thru the turn better with less effort. The sled always feels planted but takes more effort to muscle thru the turn. I also find the back end of the sled is so hooked up I can't slide it thru the turns like a 129" or 137". I'm 50 but I love hanging off this G4 as you're so posed to, if you're not will to hang off of it buy a POO. I was hoping to hear from some folks that ride like I do and what ski/carbide setup they have used to help make the sled track better thru the tight stuff. It would also be great if this same setup didn't take away from the off trail capabilities as well. TIA

·
Registered
499 Posts
I share in your sentiments about the threads and members who add value on this forum.

I cannot speak for the off-trail capabilities as I have set my identical sled up for on-trail only.
I have also added the ZRP offset spindles .

Based on the input and feedback from others, I got the semi-aggressive snow trackers and really love the zero darting and nearly effortless steering. They do tend to produce a little drag in certain conditions but the trade-off in my opinion is worth it. Not sure they are the perfect match for the deep keel ski that is on the sled but they work much better than many other trail setups I have tried on other sleds.

I put a two-ply Camso Storm 1.5" with 1.630" Woody's Triggers and 25/45 gearing.

It is a blast.

Ike

·
Registered
546 Posts
I had the 1.6 ice cobra on my 18 BCX with the DS2 skis and stud boy 6" shapers.

I could definitely rail through some tight trails with that set up.

I have a 20 BCXRS with the 2" and I am running 7.5" shaper and absolutely love it!

Just my experience, hope this helps.

Reactions: JohnnyNeedsASled
G

·
19 BCXRS 2" powder max.

It's sooooooo condition dependent but I run 6" basic (single running 60 degrees) carbides and plan to stay with that setup though thought about 4" a few times.

If trail is fresh groomed but not setup up over night it's great or if bit warmer and/or little fresh fluff on top is really good. Renegade good on trail no, 120-129 very different riding style for me but feel those are better pure trail sleds.

The keel on the ski make a difference also not just the carbide.

Plenty of stucks off trail in 1' to 2' powder with BCXRS, Renegade with 1.5" was actually surprisingly good off trail also yet 25+% better in rough trails (more travel) and cornering (r motion, pilot skis with dual middle and outer carbides, little less track to push around). Less than somewhere around 50/50 Renegade better choice IMO out of box but you pretty much noted already. Just was never worried taking the renegade in the good powder days, just bring a shovel and a folding saw.

No you can't come in tap the brake and slide the back in and power out of the corner ever like a shorty with less lug. It's fun but also not as fast either.

Yeah you can hang way off it and need to, do most your braking while still mostly straight, roll through to the apex and power out really hard then with power on use brake to set the suspension and control ski lift and if hooks to hard keep the front down as the c-motion likes to wheelie where the R stays planted even if are as far forward as can be.

I ride mine on trail to get to off trail spots or when the off trail is all packed out or snow set stiff or need to get somewhere to meet people and don't feel like premixing all day. It's a great all around sled but on hard pack (at least without widening) it's a handful too ride aggressive so more than 6" carbides is not doable for me. If you have studs though and less lug might be. Certainly need more carbide with studs or varying amount of studs. On my pure trail sled that is studded but a 129" easily run more but that's a vary RAW sled to ride where the BC is much more refined and smooth just hard when trail is hard as a rock and have to keep scratches down to keep cool even. As noted a Polaris or flat corning sled with same rider will be better in those conditions.

Riding style = likely more aggressive

If recall came with 4" or maybe actually like 3.6". If your on stockers still with studs will need more inches!

Widening took away some off trail capabilities (harder to get on edge, harder to keep in edge, more work in general, carving, tree work, ravines) but at least length of carbide with stock skis will not. Pretty much any other adjustments is going to tailor to one or the other more.

Anyways 6" for me, any more and it's a waste, or is that C cups?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Bergstrom triple points with ski savers. Just replaced the ones I put on new on my 15 BCX and they still had some carbide left after 5 years. I'd be hard pressed to use anything else

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I decided to go with the Stud Boys 6" shapers for now and for most conditions they work great with the DS2 skis. Only on the days that the trails were rock hard did I have to muscle the sled around, but then again we all were feeling it no matter what we were riding. I had the chance this past weekend to ride with a couple Renegades and this setup worked great to keep right up with them. The more I ride the BCXRS the more I'm impressed with it and glad I got it. We are heading to Canada in two weeks to do some real 50/50 riding and I'm looking forward to seeing how it does off trail with the 1.6" lug.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts