Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

Man dies at rmr snocross today

3K views 27 replies 22 participants last post by  99xcr800 
#1 ·
Sponsored by the same dealership that I am. CJ's Motorsports out of Boonville. Just talked to Doug last week and he was ready to race. I believe he left a young family behind.
Hometown: Boonville
When was your first race?: Old Forge, NY - March 1998
Full-time Job.: Logging Equipment Mechanic
Years snowmobiling.: Many
Goals for this season.: 2002/03 - Keep the rubber side down
Favorite course from last year.: Batavia, NY
Career highlights.: Few and far between - 1st Place at Swain Mt., NY in 2001
Off season training regimen.: BMX and Mountain biking
Hobbies.: BMX, mountain biking
Crew members: Jeff Stephens
Funniest moment.: Most anytime I am on the course. When I lost my glasses at one of my first races, and the races were stopped and we all (myself, race officials, other racers) looked for them. Unfortunately, we never found them

Our best wishes go out to Doug's family and his extended family at CJ's. Jim and BetteJo Muth

See less See more
#9 ·
we got there as he was laying in the snow. he was probably dead very quick. it was a heart injury from impact with the handlebars. they announced he had a jaw injury and would keep us updated when they got news of how he was doing.....never did. probably not a jaw injury when they were using a defibulator. his wife and son were there.......

#13 ·
Condolences to his family. It can happen so fast. It's a cliche' but he died doing what he loved. It's tough on a wife and son, but at least they were there with him. Makes me think about myself and my own family. On the track or trail. "Be safe out there".

#17 ·
i was sitting directly in front of the finish line/ jump. i wish i was not there at all after witness to this trajety. yes he got first place in the one particular race. i believe another sled was on his heels. he hit the jump way too fast and the sled was guided too much upward and he cleared the entire jump but when he lost elevation he found himself coming more downward into the shallow of the first whoopty-doo with hardly no forward momentom. the sleds suspension colapsed to 100 % and the rest of his body had to go somewhere and it was his chest area on to the handlebar riser. in 20 seconds he was motionless. from the particular hit, i knew he was broken badly before help got to him. emt was proforming cpr as they were leaving on the stretcher. that was when i knew it was over. chances are very slim on coming back when cpr is the final alternative.
they announce that he had a major jaw injury and would report on his condition when they recieved it,but to be realistic they could not do that. itwould not be a report anyone would want to here on a day that is soppose to be a fun day. i too think about the unforunate curcumstance and the family he left behind. my condolences are stretched out to those whom were so close to him.
this was my first snowcross event that i watched and because of this, i will not feel comforable paying to see such a dangerous sport for a long time, i hope my kids will not compete like this when they are older. i know this does not happen very often but the impression is stamped on my heart for a long time.

#18 ·
Always sorry to hear bad news like this. My prayer goes out for his family and friends. Life is short. Hopefully he had a relationship with God so he can be with his family again. We all take for granted the everyday blessings we get and forget how fast they can be taken away.

Remember to always wear your chest protector, good boots and a certified helmet no matter weather your racing or just out for a little spin. Accidents happen.

Peace, Chuck

#19 · (Edited by Moderator)
My condolences out to all Doug's family and friends.
But I wish people wouldn't use the saying "he died doing what he loved".
I don't race sno-x or anything else but I don't think anyone of us loves crashing, I personally get a sick feeling when I realize I screwed up and am going to crash, roll, etc.
And as Rev Baron said, use your safety equipment and if you don't have any then buy some. The life you save will be your own.

Alex

#22 ·
I'm sitting here trying to figure out how to express myself, and it's impossible. This is sickening news as it strikes close to home for me. I'm 37, have a wife and 2 kids, and I race snocross. Half of me says "What am I thinking?" While the other half says "Life's a journey, ride a snowmobile to my destination."
I've always thought a broken bone was a worse-case scenario. Now........
I realize this was an unlikely accident, but it happened. I also realize I could get in a car accident driving to a race.
I guess, for what it's worth, I'll be thinking about Doug and his family, and especially mine when I race from here on.
Thanks for letting me vent DOOTalk.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.