Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I'm changing over from KPH to MPH and have the correct MPH speedo now.
But I'm anal and the speedo shows more miles than my sled has
Soooo
I want it to reflect the true milage of MY sled. How can change this?? Can I hook up something to it (a old cable that I DON'T have ) and spin it backwards and NOT hurt it ??? Or do I have to get it to turn over and get it to my milage
. The speedo shows 29xx.xx miles and my sled has 12xx.xx miles on it. If it was just a couple hundred difference I wouldn't care.
ANY help would be great !!
Thanks guys and gals, Pat

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
TTT

Sorry guys for putting "up" . But I'd like to put it in asap, and don't want to take it out again.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
ttt

One answer gets rid of me

·
Registered
61 Posts
you could try hooking the speed cable up to your old cluster and see if it will turn backwards by spinning it back. if not then try spinning it foward. seems like it woudl take a long long time to spin it 99999 miles tho.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Thanks, that's what I'm worried about

But it's 57 ouside and raining
And the lowest temp is going to be 43 for the next week or so. Sooo it looks like I have until next season to spin to my hearts content.
I feel like a Cubs fan... there's always next season

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Now I'm starting to wish I would have bought the one from ta600 . His price was fine, I just kept thinking ebay's cheaper
Sure was , but at what price

It was within 60 miles or so, had I waited until I'm done riding this year ( NOW ). Goes to show that I'm a darn penny pincher

·
Registered
148 Posts
Patmann said:
Now I'm starting to wish I would have bought the one from ta600 . His price was fine, I just kept thinking ebay's cheaper

It was within 60 miles or so, had I waited until I'm done riding this year ( NOW ). Goes to show that I'm a darn penny pincher

[snapback]755189[/snapback]​
Here's my 0.02... Just live with it! I'm pretty sure that they don't spin backwards, so you're going to spin 99000 miles onto it, and the speedo will be worn out, so you'll be looking for a new one again. 1000 miles isn't going to affect the resale value of the sled significantly either.

·
Windsurfnut
1,238 Posts
Take pictures of the old and new and document the change over from the old speedo to the new one. Then put it in a file for when you sell. I am doing the same as I cracked mine in a crash, and bought a used speedo.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
800GTSE said:
Patmann said:

[snapback]755189[/snapback]​
Here's my 0.02... Just live with it! I'm pretty sure that they don't spin backwards, so you're going to spin 99000 miles onto it, and the speedo will be worn out, so you'll be looking for a new one again. 1000 miles isn't going to affect the resale value of the sled significantly either.

[snapback]758584[/snapback]​
FYI. It can be done. And it will NOT affect the speedo or trip meter, as in break it.
If a person wanted to do this, remove the mph / kph white plastic part from the back of the speedo. get some speedo cable or the short piece that goes between the jackshaft and the speedo cable bottom housing, stick it in the back of the speedo and into the electric drill chuck, turn the drill to reverse, lock the trigger and walk away for h-o-u-r-s. But do check it every once in a while to be safe.

As far as affecting resale, if a sled showed 3000 miles ( the used speedo I bought ) and another showed 1200 miles ( my TRUE milage once converted from Kilometers to Miles ) what sled would you buy???
my 0.02

All I want is my sled to show the CORRECT milage and in MPH not KPH. I don't ever plan on selling it anyway. I never sell my stuff, just ask my wife

I still have my 1969 Pontiac GTO I got back in 1975 and my 1974 900 Z1 Kawasaki from 1976, and both of my 1978 John Deere Liquifires.

Thanks for any input.

PS. I'm NOT saying I did this, as I have since found out that it is TEN YEARS per digit
in FEDERAL prison for changing milage on a speedo

windsurfnut, good advise!! I already took a picture of my KPH and will take the ebay add from the speedo I bought and put them together. THANKS!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts