Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
CHECK OUT MAGELLAN'S WEBSITE , THEY HAVE A GOOD MOUNT FOR THE EXPLORIST, LOOKS LIKE ABOUT 40.00 USD. PROBABLE BEST MOUNT WOULD BE WHERE HEAT GAUGE(SMALL HOLES ON SIDE OF DASH) WOULD MOUNT. HOPE THIS HELPS.

·
Registered
143 Posts
What type of magellan? I have a explorist 400 mounted on my RT 1000 with a Ram ball mount kit with a 3" arm mounted on top of the plastic panel that sits on top og the speedo & tach. GPS sits right in between the two guages tucked under the windshield. you can still see both guages perfectly, works great..

·
Made Member
2,042 Posts
^^^^thats just how I mounted my Magellan Sportrac on my ZX sled.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I don't have a Magellan, decided on a garmin due to size of unit. Couldn't find a mount that I liked. I wanted one out of the way but still visalbe at a glance, nothing that would vibrate or crack and break. I decided the only way to get it right was to make it yourself. I used a piece of poly plastic cut the width and height of the unit and 3/4 inch thick. Cut a V in the bottom to center it, Router out half moons just a little deeper than gauge height on both sides so it fits between gauges but still clears them. Attached to sled with velcro then velcro top of mount and on back of unit. wire in a 12 volt outlet and you got it. Unit sticks up above gauges a few inches behind windsheid. Cost me nothing and have had other riders say that it looks alot simpler. I've not had any sucess posting pics but I could send a pic through e-mail if interested in the idea.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jetblack3 said:
I don't have a Magellan, decided on a garmin due to size of unit. Couldn't find a mount that I liked. I wanted one out of the way but still visalbe at a glance, nothing that would vibrate or crack and break. I decided the only way to get it right was to make it yourself. I used a piece of poly plastic cut the width and height of the unit and 3/4 inch thick. Cut a V in the bottom to center it, Router out half moons just a little deeper than gauge height on both sides so it fits between gauges but still clears them. Attached to sled with velcro then velcro top of mount and on back of unit. wire in a 12 volt outlet and you got it. Unit sticks up above gauges a few inches behind windsheid. Cost me nothing and have had other riders say that it looks alot simpler. I've not had any sucess posting pics but I could send a pic through e-mail if interested in the idea.
[snapback]784144[/snapback]​

·
Registered
22 Posts
euc59 is this what you are lookong for.

I like this mount but I have a couple questions. I have a color sport trak and I think they are the same??

Can you have this plugged into the power when its in the cradle?

If not, how does the light stay on? And how long do the batterys last for?
[/quote]

You can purchase that mount from your Ram-Mount dealer and use the 12v accessory power cord available from your Magellan Dealer for your GPS. On your GPS you can set the backlight for different times or always on.
NOTE: make sure that when you wire in your 12v DC power source, it is 12v DC. If your sled has a battery, your probably OK. If your sled does not have a battery, you may need to install a rectifier and regulator to convert the AC power to DC

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I use the Magellan Swivel car mount. I removed the swivel portion. It then has four holes in the back, I drilled four holes in the dash where the temp gauge goes (that way I can run the GPS while my thumbs still on the gas!) this way the mount is flat on the dash and all you can see is the GPS. Sweet! Also the mount incorporates the 12V adapter wired to the battery, then all you need to doo is snap the unit into the mount. It's powered, secure, and can be removed with a push of a button to take into the bar! My unit is a Meridian Gold. I took it off my 05. Putting it on my 06, and I don't have a pic yet. I can post a pic later

·
Registered
27 Posts
I use the Magellan Swivel car mount. I removed the swivel portion. It then has four holes in the back, I drilled four holes in the dash where the temp gauge goes (that way I can run the GPS while my thumbs still on the gas!) this way the mount is flat on the dash and all you can see is the GPS. Sweet! Also the mount incorporates the 12V adapter wired to the battery, then all you need to doo is snap the unit into the mount. It's powered, secure, and can be removed with a push of a button to take into the bar! My unit is a Meridian Gold. I took it off my 05. Putting it on my 06, and I don't have a pic yet. I can post a pic later

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.