Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys I need some help here. I have a 1998 Mach Z I just got not too long ago. It has V force Reeds, Head shaved, etc.
Now, I have a dash Computer that tells the the tempeature of the headers. When Im crusing along at around 130 ish, kmh and I pin it to the bar the PTO side temp. drops down to like 200 while the other 2 are at around 1000 degrees.
I just re-jetted it, with a 360 in the PTO, and 350's in the other 2. After a ride today, I pulled out the plugs to inspect, and the 2 plugs are nice and tan colour. Running good. The PTO side was darker, like its STILL running rich. But I know the Jet should be higher on that side because it runs hotter.
I checked the coil, and even replaced it, still the same thing.
What do you all think it is ?
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
JeffersonC said:
Alright guys I need some help here. I have a 1998 Mach Z I just got not too long ago. It has V force Reeds, Head shaved, etc.
Now, I have a dash Computer that tells the the tempeature of the headers. When Im crusing along at around 130 ish, kmh and I pin it to the bar the PTO side temp. drops down to like 200 while the other 2 are at around 1000 degrees.
I just re-jetted it, with a 360 in the PTO, and 350's in the other 2. After a ride today, I pulled out the plugs to inspect, and the 2 plugs are nice and tan colour. Running good. The PTO side was darker, like its STILL running rich. But I know the Jet should be higher on that side because it runs hotter.
I checked the coil, and even replaced it, still the same thing.
What do you all think it is ?
Thanks.
[snapback]720070[/snapback]​
If you have the stock 98 pipes it's the center one that needs to be jetted one size richer. If it's 99 & up stock pipes then all three should be the same. If it has after market then it depends on the brand.

·
Registered
33 Posts
1998 Pipes.

Ah I just looked at Ronnies.com. Too lazy to get the manual out of my car. And it says, PTO side 330, and other 2 cyl. 340.

But would that cause my PTO cylinder to drop temp like MAD when I put her to the bar ?

EDIT/ Should the jets be a 1 size larger because of the V Force reeds ?

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
JeffersonC said:
1998 Pipes.

Ah I just looked at Ronnies.com. Too lazy to get the manual out of my car. And it says, PTO side 330, and other 2 cyl. 340.

But would that cause my PTO cylinder to drop temp like MAD when I put her to the bar ?

[snapback]720181[/snapback]​
It would definately run cooler but I'm not sure how much. The stock 98 jetting was 330-340-330 but it was later updated to 310-320-310. You would need to go richer with the V-Force reeds but I'm not sure how much. I have a 99Z with Dyno-port pipes, trail porting and V-force II's and it's jetted 340-350-340 (stock 99 jetting is 310s across). Hope that helps ...

·
Registered
33 Posts
XcellR8 said:
JeffersonC said:
1998 Pipes.

[snapback]720181[/snapback]​
It would definately run cooler but I'm not sure how much. The stock 98 jetting was 330-340-330 but it was later updated to 310-320-310. You would need to go richer with the V-Force reeds but I'm not sure how much. I have a 99Z with Dyno-port pipes, trail porting and V-force II's and it's jetted 340-350-340 (stock 99 jetting is 310s across). Hope that helps ...
[snapback]720259[/snapback]​
Ah alright ic ic. I just dont understand the total temp drop from like even 1000 degrees, to around 200 just on the PTO side. Other 2 are fine ! if you hold it to the bar for awhile. And it wont go much faster then 140 kmh. All compression is booking about 150 across. Maby powervalves ?

·
Registered
697 Posts
Maybe your eye's are bugging, but Ronnie's says 330 on mag/pto, and 340 center on my computer. Even though the jets have been updated to 310-320-310, your mods may require your setup. Switch your pto & center jets, and then test.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah sorry. I didnt read right.

330-340-330.

So seeing as they recalled them to change to 310-320-310. Im thinking that the 330-340-330 might be good for the set up I have going.

I try a few tests with it.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I am thinking your exhaust guage is not working right.
Try switching your probes around to see if your temps change.
200 is like idle temp at start up. (Dont hurt to try it)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SEEYA said:
I am thinking your exhaust guage is not working right.
Try switching your probes around to see if your temps change.
200 is like idle temp at start up. (Dont hurt to try it)
[snapback]720758[/snapback]​
Havent tried that yet. But what happened was when I recieved the sled, the guy had a 400 ! main in that PTO side, so when I did jetting today, down to a 370, it seems to get better. Still droping temps when I punch it. So im goign to try and get 330-340-330.
I know its not the gauges or probes because it works fine when im riding like 3/4. Only when I open it up, is when the PTO side temp starts to drop... Alote, and I loose lots of power. It should be RIPPING, But seems like it wont punch more then 140 km/h ISH.
The previous owner was all anal with the sled. So its mint, and he said it will do 120 mph. Just that he jetted it rich, ( because im 16 ) and didnt want to kill me at 1st.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright, So i should have everything figured out.

Jets - 330-340-330.
To accomodate with the V-Force Reeds, because they were recalled to 310-320-310.
Air screw - 2.0 turns out.
Piolet Jet - 50.

AND, the guy had BR9ES In the sled.
So those have to be changed to BR10ES.

I will see how it goes in the next few days

·
Registered
697 Posts
JeffersonC said:

Jets - 330-340-330.
To accomodate with the V-Force Reeds, because they were recalled to 310-320-310.
Piolet Jet - 50.

[snapback]720858[/snapback]​
air screws were updated to 4 turns out, and many guys are running with 45 pilots to reduce plug fouling. you should be ok with br9's. I'm running BR9EYA's (eya's have the "v" groove to also help with fouling.)

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
intensert said:
JeffersonC said:

Jets - 330-340-330.
Piolet Jet - 50.

air screws were updated to 4 turns out, and many guys are running with 45 pilots to reduce plug fouling. you should be ok with br9's. I'm running BR9EYA's (eya's have the "v" groove to also help with fouling.)
[snapback]720889[/snapback]​
How long have you been running those for? The reason I'm asking is that when I bought my 99 the previous owner had been running the BR9EYA's. After the first ride I noticed that the porcelan on one plug was cracked so I went to get another one. When I showed it to my dealer he told me not to run those "Arctic Cat" plugs as he called them and went on to say the message came right from BRP. I compared them to the BR9ESs and the electrode is not at the same height so I went back to the BR9ESs to be safe.

·
Registered
697 Posts
XcellR8 said:
intensert said:
JeffersonC said:

Jets - 330-340-330.
Piolet Jet - 50.

How long have you been running those for? The reason I'm asking is that when I bought my 99 the previous owner had been running the BR9EYA's. After the first ride I noticed that the porcelan on one plug was cracked so I went to get another one. When I showed it to my dealer he told me not to run those "Arctic Cat" plugs as he called them and went on to say the message came right from BRP. I compared them to the BR9ESs and the electrode is not at the same height so I went back to the BR9ESs to be safe.
[snapback]722134[/snapback]​
Been running them this year. only about 300 mi. Just got the sled over the summer. Read up on DT that a few people were using them to cope with fouling issues, so I switched as well.

·
In Search Of PAH!
1,853 Posts
I have been running the EYA's in my 1997 Mach 1 since back in 1999. No problems in the 5000 miles I have put on my sled using them. I normally go at least 1 season on a set of plugs with the stock jetting. (about 1000-1500 miles per year for me..)

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
[/quote]
Been running them this year. only about 300 mi. Just got the sled over the summer. Read up on DT that a few people were using them to cope with fouling issues, so I switched as well.
[snapback]722153[/snapback]​
[/quote

97mach1 said:
I have been running the EYA's in my 1997 Mach 1 since back in 1999. No problems in the 5000 miles I have put on my sled using them. I normally go at least 1 season on a set of plugs with the stock jetting. (about 1000-1500 miles per year for me..)
[snapback]722314[/snapback]​
Thanks for the replys, I've been wondering if I should go back to them as I haven't heard of any actual problems with them (my dealer is a bit funny when it comes to using anything but the stock Skidoo parts). On the other hand I haven't had a problem with fouling the ES's until I decided to adjust my air screws last Monday ...

Were you having any fouling issues before you switched?

·
Registered
32 Posts
intensert said:
I screwed up when assembling my carbs last year, I did not know about the 4 turns so I used the 2 turns that the manual says. I have the 310/320/310 and 45 jets and the dropped needle. Had some fouling problems, but now it seems fine.

I actually treated the engine with Slick 50 2-stroke PTFE treatment today. I don't think that the product is in the Slick50 range today, but as a former distributor of Norway I had some bottles left from the old days around 1990. We sold it to many sled owners, but I did not have a sled myself those days. The product is injected in the carbs during warm-up. Have anyone heard of the product ?

·
In Search Of PAH!
1,853 Posts
[snapback]722153[/snapback]​
[/quote

97mach1 said:
[snapback]722314[/snapback]​
Thanks for the replys, I've been wondering if I should go back to them as I haven't heard of any actual problems with them (my dealer is a bit funny when it comes to using anything but the stock Skidoo parts). On the other hand I haven't had a problem with fouling the ES's until I decided to adjust my air screws last Monday ...

Were you having any fouling issues before you switched?
[snapback]722735[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I would foul out the BR9ES plugs if it was warm out and/or idling a lot. I tried 45 pilot jets, but it seemed to run a little high on the EGTs at idle when it was very cold outside. BR9EYA's with stock jetting seemed to be the best solution for me. Everybody else I know uses them in their sleds, too.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Alright well I just got the jets installed 330-340-330 with the air screws 2 turns out and a BR9ES Plug. I think it should run good, because it has the V Force Reeds and head shaved, etc.
But if its too rich ill play with the air screw.
Anyone think the set up I have now should be good ?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts