Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
121 - 140 of 819 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
The extra 30 hp on these sleds doesn’t equal top end for some reason. The extra hp gets more low end and midrange smack but up top in any snow it’s a dog. Gears are a waste unless your riding plowed ice road. Guys will spend lots of time finding a few mph but in the end it’s still a pooch on top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Ski-Doo Guru
14,190 Posts
The extra 30 hp on these sleds doesn’t equal top end for some reason. The extra hp gets more low end and midrange smack but up top in any snow it’s a dog. Gears are a waste unless your riding plowed ice road. Guys will spend lots of time finding a few mph but in the end it’s still a pooch on top.

No different than the 900 turbo. Great ET no mph.

·
boost junkie
11,770 Posts
we are still looking into why the top speed is low
the biggest change was the pdrive, thats where we are looking first

·
Ski-Doo Guru
14,190 Posts
Still not much sense in chasing any clutching until we know that the damn thing is making all the power it should. Anyone got a boost gauge on theirs yet? Seems like a quick way to start knocking things off the list. Wish I was off all winter to tinker but only get 3 days a week.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I respectfully disagree. They are slow on top. Maybe you have a good one.
I like this sled A LOT & if this is all it's got i'm cool with that.
It pulls hard & is VERY fun.
BUT, and a huge BUT, it has more somewhere. We just need to find it.
I'm barely above an 850 or Apex.
Doo also claimed "First Across lake". Must be a small lake. Maybe they meant pond.

I firmly believe there is something small like a clutch spring or Crack Pressure or maybe boost leak.
When my sled runs at 8000 then i'll live with whatever it's got on top cuz like i said i'm VERY happy with it.

MOST guys are seeing 107ish. That is NOT something to brag about with 200 hp!
I'm guessing Bombi will come out with a recall because of the complaints,likely a reflash

·
OCD Sledhead
Mach Z 900R
9,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
And at 8000 how much actual speed did you pick up. Any sled reving 8000 is still not that much faster than 7700. Still seem slow.
We had a 5mph difference down low in the speed range. That day in a fair depth of snow on lake 99GPS vs 94GPS. So decent amount of MPH difference.

Dan

·
OCD Sledhead
Mach Z 900R
9,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
This.

I know people are chasing RPMs, but what are they seeing for speed comparisons? Are the 8000 RPM sleds crazy faster than the 7700 RPM sleds?

Mine is just a 900T, stocker. I have on a new XS821 and yes, I'm only seeing 7700-7800. Today in decent conditions it was 7,700 @ 108 speedo.
I will say my arms hurt from holding on and my face hurts from smiling, and that's what's most important to me. 👍
Old time racer who I know well always used to say, "never let anyone line up with you unless your RPMs are spot on".....That is as true today as it was back in the day.Obviouslyy more critical with the 2s engines and their narrow power band but the 900r revving 8k is always gonna beat the one revving lower. 5mph on a lake run of just 1/8 mile would be like 6-10 sled lengths, that is HUGE.

Dan

·
OCD Sledhead
Mach Z 900R
9,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
Anyone ever think BRP clutched these sleds for drag racing! Max torque is actually 7700rpm
Who‘s put a Mach on timers? Is it quicker at 7700 or 8000? Max MPH will be at 8000 that’s basic math, but what’s actually quicker?
IMO they missed the boat with the Ramps. Read back to see my comparisons, the 880 ramps hit much harder bottom and mid.

I believe BRP designed the ramps around Launch Control at the forefront.

Dan

·
OCD Sledhead
Mach Z 900R
9,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
Second ride of mine today. In standard it ran up to 8000 and drop back to 7900. On sport I also saw that but did see it go up to 8100 and drop back to 8000. The first ride didn’t see this. It in the 30s that day and the trails were soft. I’m guessing that played into it.
Great to hear some revving correctly, was this a Mach?

thanks
Dan

·
OCD Sledhead
Mach Z 900R
9,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
But I will say, the low section of cogs even with top of driven sheave is a crock, that is super loose overall and will have terrible drive-off.

Dan
So how do you adjust your belt? Thanks
[/QUOTE]
Same way been doing it since I was 15...lol

Warm sled and track up, raise off ground and tighten until just before track creeps. Maybe a tad less with the mechanical reverse to be safe.

When you get it there, you will see there is a good 1/8" from bottom of COG to the sheave, not even close to even anymore.

Dan

·
OCD Sledhead
Mach Z 900R
9,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·
Which dalton ramps are you going with Dan?
I am aiming to not post too much at this point as I dont want to lead anyone into items that I have not yet tested. Im an open book once I get things working well, but still need to test and should get them installed today and tomorrow will ride hopefully.

Dan

·
OCD Sledhead
Mach Z 900R
9,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·

I agree the DOO just does not make MPH like the Winder does. Doos really have not for awhile, losing MPH with each Gen IMO. XS was faster then G4. Sucks for Mach Z it should have come with 1" track option and an actual lower suspension, my Mach is a tad HIGHER then Danos front end on his 900r Adr. Grrr..

Dan

·
OCD Sledhead
Mach Z 900R
9,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #139 ·
we are still looking into why the top speed is low
the biggest change was the pdrive, thats where we are looking first
Spring cup keeps being mentioned and I will certainly reduce mine soon enough, but IMO that would not come into play until maybe 118 or MORE speeds. Playing in the 110-112GPS range I dont believe the spring cup is tapping things out yet.

I did detect some slippage on top end when looking closely at Danos last night upon reinstalling his stock 880 ramps. I have felt for some time now the secondary spring(finish) is too soft, and so a helix and spring out back will likely be my next stage of the tuning. Dalton springs will end up all the way around for longevity for sure.

Dan

·
Registered
563 Posts
It only makes 16psi of boost on gauge we tested,(should be 17.4 as per BRP) That's why its slow-ramps are too heavy by 4-5 grams, springs to light, helix to steep, Did they forget clutching 101?

1.4psi is like 15HP!!

If you had full boost/power the clutching would be close to spot on for the average rider!

lake racer they say- lmao WTF did we pay $25k for, my 600r is as fast on top end as this thing!!

Awesome trail sled, best I've rode, suspension is unreal, but it is not a lake racer- what a disappointment BRP!

121 - 140 of 819 Posts