Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
621 - 640 of 819 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
so you can spread all your theories and findings but no one else is allowed to or question you?
As long as it’s constructive questions/bouncing ideas off to productivity work through this together and to share thoughts on the next move to make. That’s what this forum is supposed to be, but some who don’t have a 900r or some are upset with performance of there’s and are sour about it also some who just like to stir the pot are taking it to a level that I’m sure makes Dan and many others that actually know there stuff or attempt to solve and share problems to the group to save testing the same things over and over I’m sure are reluctant to share and post findings or solutions because of those that just are not here for the productivity of the group. I just hope Dan and those in the know or anyone that test different things keep sharing instead of holding back to not deal with negative members.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
215 Posts
As long as it’s constructive questions/bouncing ideas off to productivity work through this together and to share thoughts on the next move to make. That’s what this forum is supposed to be, but some who don’t have a 900r or some are upset with performance of there’s and are sour about it also some who just like to stir the pot are taking it to a level that I’m sure makes Dan and many others that actually know there stuff or attempt to solve and share problems to the group to save testing the same things over and over I’m sure are reluctant to share and post findings or solutions because of those that just are not here for the productivity of the group. I just hope Dan and those in the know or anyone that test different things keep sharing instead of holding back to not deal with negative members.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Perfectly said,I was just about to post something just like this,Dan seems to be dealing with the idiots with impressive diplomacy and is way more patient than I could be. Keep up the good work there Rockerdan,much respect (y)

·
Super Moderator
31,790 Posts
Not even close on mine. It loses 150-200 only, so a few tweaks and you have the best belt in biz. Sheaves went from black to clean. 571 is worst for slippage, Ultimax is best for no slippage.

For you to rev 7200 only, you must been only 7400 stock 571 belt.

Dan
I know that's what Ken says he's seeing, and I trust him 100%. That said, I'm running the 821 on my 900T, yes it was 7600-7700 when it was new. I now have around 350 miles on the belt and it's running 7800-7900 all day long.

Mine is stock except the secondary spring.

I will say with all the great reports on the GBoost belts I'd like to try one of those sometime too. Probably won't happen soon though, I have this new belt on now and I have another new one in stock.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I know that's what Ken says he's seeing, and I trust him 100%. That said, I'm running the 821 on my 900T, yes it was 7600-7700 when it was new. I now have around 350 miles on the belt and it's running 7800-7900 all day long.

Mine is stock except the secondary spring.

I will say with all the great reports on the GBoost belts I'd like to try one of those sometime too. Probably won't happen soon though, I have this new belt on now and I have another new one in stock.
Don't want to get too far off in the weeds here, but I run the XS821 at 7800-7900 with a 180 tune, a stiffer primary spring and a BYR secondary. On a really crisp day in fast conditions I might tickle 8000-8100. That is DJT logged RPM. I'd hate to see RPM at stock HP

·
Registered
892 Posts
My experience so far with my Z, after the first couple rips when new,7500 rpms also noticed my speedo was acting wacky.So brought to dealer and re-entered my vin# flashed again,drove it back home noticed 7600 7700 right after the flash,mine was delivered without ecu so must have been a bad buds install from the begining.A couple weeks ago I put a 44/40 helix 185/315 secondary and still using 531 rpms were staying around 77 7800.Last night I tried my brother's 880 ramps from his xrs, gained 100 rpms was seeing 78 7900 I still had the 44/40 and 185/315.
Today I put my 571 belt on broke it in for 30 or so miles sled was still 77 7800,about half way thru my ride today sled seemed to wake up was seeing 8100 once in a while with it mostly 8000 then drop to 7900 this was only up to 113 on speedo as i didn't have a really good place to test long distance.The engine even sounded louder and less throttle to maintain trail speeds,maybe out of break in 🤞
It was around 310 or so miles when it seemed better,I have just under 400 miles now.
P.S. I did have my dealer contact his Rep. just waitng to hear back with any info. on some not revving correctly.
Happy Trails

·
SkiDoo Guru
21,255 Posts
There's No Crying in Sledding either .Thank You Dan for you yrs.of helping others .Here and over at HCS .Goodwin will have one on the Track dyno soon .But i think we're close to what works now ,Like the STK Intercooler that that holds too much heat .the interconsisstent 571 belt ,that is also 1/2" longer than the wbb383 G Boost belt that does stay consistent .,the g/g driven spring that lacks back shifting and up shifts too quick with 80+ gm weights .,and the Sheaves on the P Drive being 13 by15 degrees The plush X skid doesn't help either for MPH .I'm happy with mine though .Hope others will be also ?,

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
But nowhere near 80+ gm of weight .
But do you really need 80 grams if the RPM is low? My guess is that somewhere midway between 75 and 80 would suit the 900R better.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
There's No Crying in Sledding either .Thank You Dan for you yrs.of helping others .Here and over at HCS .Goodwin will have one on the Track dyno soon .But i think we're close to what works now ,Like the STK Intercooler that that holds too much heat .the interconsisstent 571 belt ,that is also 1/2" longer than the wbb383 G Boost belt that does stay consistent .,the g/g driven spring that lacks back shifting and up shifts too quick with 80+ gm weights .,and the Sheaves on the P Drive being 13 by15 degrees The plush X skid doesn't help either for MPH .I'm happy with mine though .Hope others will be also ?,
The best part is youve said most of this for awhile now. Just my opinion but i have the stock mach weights working just fine with some work in the secondary and a good belt

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
That's interesting. I thought about reaching out to Greg to see if he had a test mule yet. I would have left mine there for them to test on.

Reactions: krm

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
You do to go fast .Let my buddy ride mine as he did"t believe my sled on the big end would start to levitate He came back looking like he was doing Schrooms .
Ok so let's trickle some of that down to the tuned 900t.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Greg's looking for one to test .Give him a ring .
I called He said he wants more miles on it. I've only got 330 miles on it so far since I just got the thing two weeks ago and we have no snow here. Last trip was cut short due to someone in our group hitting a tree and sustaining 14 fractures. I leave for another trip on Wednesday which should get me over 500 no problem as long as there are no hiccups and will reach back out.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I hope when you guys have this all figured out someone can digest it all and condense it down to what is the best way to go, even if there are 3 or 4 different opinions and options.

It's great that you all have sleds to do this as I am still waiting for a Mach to show up with my name on it! Feel left out ordered 3/10 and probably missing out on some good rides.

·
OCD Sledhead
Mach Z 900R
9,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #639 · (Edited)
Power
These sleds came with less boost then advertised. 17.4PSI in the technical video was a huge part of why most of us thought these sleds would be in the 205hp range. In the end, these sleds are near 16psi. Had a long conversation last week with(Unamed) and after he checked boost on several 900r's, they all seem to be around that 16psi at most. Also said that the test mules of last spring, which many magazine writers rode, were MUCH MUCH stronger then these production sleds. IMO this is likely why the stock 897 Mach ramps do not work well, and especially on a fresh sled which takes many miles to loosen up. Notice I didnt say "break in". IMO there is no break in built into the ECU program, and tuners who have been able to read the ECU also agree.

So with this being said.....riding these sleds with stock tune, "is what it is". I personally want a lot more! hearing really good feedback on the Hurricane ECU and will be talking with Dave by next season. I will likely leave things stock this year and see if other tuners will bring anything out.

Mach Z overall appeal
Aside from the power, the Mach Z (in particular) is an incredible sled overall. The Smart Shox really need to be talked about more, with the trail miles now piling up and getting to ride some groomed, some pounded, some high speed sweepers and of course lakes....I'm amazed how composed the SS system makes the sled feel. I swap often with Dano(adr) and while the Adr. feels surprisingly good, the base shocks have their limits and so he must crank up his torsions more, resulting in some kickback on the bigger hits. With my modded transfer setup I have the sled feeling MUCH more playful, and have been really getting the feel of how the SS system plays into transfer once you mod it. Softest SS setting will result in the best transfer, rather obvious....but WOW this really changes things alot more then even I had assumed. So not only can you change your firmness with button instantly, you will also change your transfer instantly too. Slick!!!

Another side effect of firmest mode I love is we finally got onto some big sweepers and man the firm mode feels like you added a 50mm anti-sway bar instantly with a switch of the mode button, just incredible how FLAT this sled will sit on biggest high speed turns, and also even slower tighter corners the sled will no longer "dive" on the outer shock. Back to soft for big wide open rollers where you want that front to blip the nose off the knolls, transfer mod and soft settings have this sled feeling super playful and much lighter then it is on paper. Where my Winder would wear me out in big moguls, the Mach keeps me feeling fresh, this 137" chassie with SS works incredible!

When it comes to clutching, it really will come down to your belt choice. I have found the 44/38 helix to be the biggest change that I like. Slippage in very top end is something I fought on the Winder too, 38 helps with this. As mentioned many times, the 897's are not what I liked at all. 880s work really well with 44/38 helix. And as always I will say again, many ways to clutch to get similar end results. Things that I tested and DO NOT WORK WELL are higher start secondary spring, they do very little in mid and hurt top end. Also if running Dalton adj you can mimic the 880 with tip weight. 880's are heavy at 85.5g however what people need to realize is most of the concentration is in the heel. So it acts like a lighter weight then the 897 as it has a lightened tip already.

Dan

·
SkiDoo Guru
21,255 Posts
Power
These sleds came with less boost then advertised. 17.4PSI in the technical video was a huge part of why most of us thought these sleds would be in the 205hp range. In the end, these sleds are near 16psi. Had a long conversation last week with(Unamed) and after he checked boost on several 900r's, they all seem to be around that 16psi at most. Also said that the test mules of last spring, which many magazine writers rode, were MUCH MUCH stronger then these production sleds. IMO this is likely why the stock 897 Mach ramps do not work well, and especially on a fresh sled which takes many miles to loosen up. Notice I didnt say "break in". IMO there is no break in built into the ECU program, and tuners who have been able to read the ECU also agree.

So with this being said.....riding these sleds with stock tune, "is what it is". I personally want a lot more! hearing really good feedback on the Hurricane ECU and will be talking with Dave by next season. I will likely leave things stock this year and see if other tuners will bring anything out.

Mach Z overall appeal
Aside from the power, the Mach Z (in particular) is an incredible sled overall. The Smart Shox really need to be talked about more, with the trail miles now piling up and getting to ride some groomed, some pounded, some high speed sweepers and of course lakes....I'm amazed how composed the SS system makes the sled feel. I swap often with Dano(adr) and while the Adr. feels surprisingly good, the base shocks have their limits and so he must crank up his torsions more, resulting in some kickback on the bigger hits. With my modded transfer setup I have the sled feeling MUCH more playful, and have been really getting the feel of how the SS system plays into transfer once you mod it. Softest SS setting will result in the best transfer, rather obvious....but WOW this really changes things alot more then even I had assumed. So not only can you change your firmness with button instantly, you will also change your transfer instantly too. Slick!!!

Another side effect of firmest mode I love is we finally got onto some big sweepers and man the firm mode feels like you added a 50mm anti-sway bar instantly with a switch of the mode button, just incredible how FLAT this sled will sit on biggest high speed turns, and also even slower tighter corners the sled will no longer "dive" on the outer shock. Back to soft for big wide open rollers where you want that front to blip the nose off the knolls, transfer mod and soft settings have this sled feeling super playful and much lighter then it is on paper. Where my Winder would wear me out in big moguls, the Mach keeps me feeling fresh, this 137" chassie with SS works incredible!

When it comes to clutching, it really will come down to your belt choice. I have found the 44/38 helix to be the biggest change that I like. Slippage in very top end is something I fought on the Winder too, 38 helps with this. As mentioned many times, the 897's are not what I liked at all. 880s work really well with 44/38 helix. And as always I will say again, many ways to clutch to get similar end results. Things that I tested and DO NOT WORK WELL are higher start secondary spring, they do very little in mid and hurt top end. Also if running Dalton adj you can mimic the 880 with tip weight. 880's are heavy at 85.5g however what people need to realize is most of the concentration is in the heel. So it acts like a lighter weight then the 897 as it has a lightened tip already.

Dan
Great write up thank you for the information

621 - 640 of 819 Posts