Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
261 - 280 of 819 Posts

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
It should be reliable. The machz of the triple era blew allot of motors. I dont think this mach z will pooch motors like machz of past. It sounds like a blast in the trails though the new machz. I am not really interested in top end 100 mph scares the poop out of me LOL. Getting up there quick is fun though but staying there for any length of time is sketchy to me. Im getting old lol

·
Super Moderator
31,790 Posts
^^^ 100%!

I'll gladly give up a few MPH on the top end as long as it pulls hard getting there.

I often say it's not how fast it goes, it's how it goes fast.

And yes, I'm getting old too. 😁

·
Super Moderator
31,790 Posts
It pulls like crazy in the middle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Awesome. 👍

So at what point do you stop chasing a few MPH and start riding and enjoying the sled?

I guess that's a different answer for different people.

That said, I also think they should all be the same, performance wise, and I certainly appreciate the guys trying to figure this out.

·
OCD Sledhead
Mach Z 900R
9,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #265 ·
Let me know when you are all settled in with my next clutching setup! Lol

Other than the RPM thing, how do you like the sled? Smart shox?

I don't have a lot of miles on mine yet but it feels like I will be in sport+ mostly with a little sport mode sprinkled in. Which surprised me. I thought I would be more toward sport and comfort. I didn't realize I liked my suspension so stiff personally. Comfort is like a 1970's couch. Fine for the guys going slow but at the cost of performance.

Not sure what you mean??

As for the smart shox I love them so far. Got to run through a really nice trail yesterday at high speed, and the sled is flat as hell, it has little to no lean at all on corners. I also launched it off a river crossing bridge on purpose with a hole on other side that should have hurt bad, but even in medium setting the rear did not bottom. I believe the SS wont allow bottoming, and why the Mach can run lower rear skid. My rear skid sits a fair bit lower then the Adrenalin side by side.

The firm mode is just all that much better, feeling so much more connected to the snow its incredible for ultra fast running. Easily the best part of the '22 900r/Mach Z is the Smart Shox for sure.

Dan

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Not sure what you mean??

As for the smart shox I love them so far. Got to run through a really nice trail yesterday at high speed, and the sled is flat as hell, it has little to no lean at all on corners. I also launched it off a river crossing bridge on purpose with a hole on other side that should have hurt bad, but even in medium setting the rear did not bottom. I believe the SS wont allow bottoming, and why the Mach can run lower rear skid. My rear skid sits a fair bit lower then the Adrenalin side by side.

The firm mode is just all that much better, feeling so much more connected to the snow its incredible for ultra fast running. Easily the best part of the '22 900r/Mach Z is the Smart Shox for sure.

Dan
I mean I wont have to mess around with clutching. Once you get it all figured out I can just buy my "rockerdan" setup lol.

Low rpms do feel lazy compared to the cudney clutch setup I had on my previous 900t. So I look forward to clutching it in the off-season. I've never not had a sled with studs but I might be skipping them this time around. It's nice having a sled that rails without especially heavy steering to counter push.

·
OCD Sledhead
Mach Z 900R
9,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #267 ·
I mean I wont have to mess around with clutching. Once you get it all figured out I can just buy my "rockerdan" setup lol.

Low rpms do feel lazy compared to the cudney clutch setup I had on my previous 900t. So I look forward to clutching it in the off-season. I've never not had a sled with studs but I might be skipping them this time around. It's nice having a sled that rails without especially heavy steering to counter push.
Oh gotcha....LOL. Sorry my OCD seems to forget all sense of humour!

After i installed my studs, the sled felt like I added another 100hp. LOL. Just no replacement for traction and how hard these turbos pull in bottom and mid.

We just need to get them to produce 17psi consistently and I think we will have a real good long term trail monster. If the stock ECU never allows this I can see myself going with a standalone and enjoying the big power.

Dan

·
Premium Member
825 Posts
I dealt with turbos and tuning a lot in the automotive end of things, and one of the biggest problems with boost I found was a turbochargers ability to maintain boost levels as rpm and airflow volume increases. Low end transient response and high rpm flow rates are a delicate balance. I’m wondering if the turbine is just unable of maintaining 17+ psi of boost at high rpm on these motors

·
Registered
934 Posts
I dealt with turbos and tuning a lot in the automotive end of things, and one of the biggest problems with boost I found was a turbochargers ability to maintain boost levels as rpm and airflow volume increases. Low end transient response and high rpm flow rates are a delicate balance. I’m wondering if the turbine is just unable of maintaining 17+ psi of boost at high rpm on these motors
If this theory was true then why does the 900r that hurricane and Whalen run aftermarket ecus in work just fine at 20psi+?
I think engine mechanical hardware is just fine..

Reactions: contigo and Dixie

·
Premium Member
825 Posts
If this theory was true then why does the 900r that hurricane and Whalen run aftermarket ecus in work just fine at 20psi+?
Yeah, definitely! I was just spitballing more than anything. This entire thread is like a giant mystery novel lol

Do you know if they have any of their datalogs or dyno runs posted online? I'm curious to see what they look like compared to stock

·
ride hard or die trying
7,949 Posts
Oh gotcha....LOL. Sorry my OCD seems to forget all sense of humour!

After i installed my studs, the sled felt like I added another 100hp. LOL. Just no replacement for traction and how hard these turbos pull in bottom and mid.

We just need to get them to produce 17psi consistently and I think we will have a real good long term trail monster. If the stock ECU never allows this I can see myself going with a standalone and enjoying the big power.

Dan
Maybe skidoo has intake air temp safeguard and the stock ecu is seeing intake temps too high and pulling back boost. Where Hurricane and Whalen have the threasholds higher.

hopefully soon someone with be able to get a data logger on and see intake temps, rpm, boost control Duty cycle, boost pressure, coolant temp

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
See post 230 for where the 17.4 came from
Got it.. many thanks. Pretty darned clearly stated by BRP. Gotta fire part of the marketing department now.....

On the other hand, if the motor is making 180 HP as advertised, then they meet that spec... regardless of the boost level. It's open to opinion as to what they should be allowed to stand on: a written spec or a conflicting one spoken one time in a promotianal. I have no idea what a court would say.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Did crack pressure this morning,

what should 17.5 psi be.
From what I gather from the tuners, should be around 11+

we have a problem if it’s supposed to be 11.
They spot painted the treads to know if anyone messes with it.
For what it is worth......
There is no fixed relationship between max boost and crack pressure with an electronic boost controller. The crack pressure needs to be a psi or so below the lowest level of boost over which the you want the ECU to have positive control. So a lower crack pressure actually gives you more range of boost control at the low boost end.

At higher boost levels, the ECU just adjusts the boost controller to get what it wants to see over at the MAP sensor. As long the boost controller does not run out of control range at higher boost levels, then all is under control.

·
Registered
2022 Renegade Adrenaline 900R
186 Posts
Got it.. many thanks. Pretty darned clearly stated by BRP. Gotta fire part of the marketing department now.....

On the other hand, if the motor is making 180 HP as advertised, then they meet that spec... regardless of the boost level. It's open to opinion as to what they should be allowed to stand on: a written spec or a conflicting one spoken one time in a promotianal. I have no idea what a court would say.
Very Good Point
I must admit you are very PRECISE with your wording on all subjects. You sound very edumacated.
Are you a Lawyer?

They did say 180 so they are OK there.
They also claimed the "King is Back" & "First Across Lake"
Yamaha claimed 180 also & they actually ARE the "King" & definitely "First Across Any Lake"

I guess legally they are covered.
But in the minds of us FICKLE Sled Heads, they lost some serious face.

I believe we will find a few tricks to get us to 115 gps & i'll Happy as a Pig in chit.

P.S:
How can something love to roll around in Chit & taste soooo good?
Why is my sled slow?
Life's great questions!
------

·
Registered
2022 Renegade Adrenaline 900R
186 Posts
DANWITHOCD aka: ROCKERDAN gained some ground & data with simple weight change.
IF we can find 1 possibly 2 psi, the big Y will be shakin' in 'der boots.

OH Boy is this GREAT!!!!!! (movie quote)

P.S: Have some fun & name the movie

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
DANWITHOCD aka: ROCKERDAN gained some ground & data with simple weight change.
IF we can find 1 possibly 2 psi, the big Y will be shakin' in 'der boots.

OH Boy is this GREAT!!!!!! (movie quote)

P.S: Have some fun & name the movie
Animal House.

·
Registered
338 Posts

I work for a Company that manufactures engines and when the customer has a HP complaint first thing we do pull the engine logs and put it on the dyno and if it is meeting HP spec not much you can do.

99% of the time the engine is meeting or exceeding advertised horsepower I have found. As we have seen 900r is exceeding advertise horsepower.

261 - 280 of 819 Posts