Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
221 - 240 of 819 Posts

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Another thing to note is that the sleds like to knock more when you don't rev them. My old Motec 900 would have more knock signal at 75-7600 than it did at 8000. I wouldn't touch clutching until you can get the required boost.
That's the million dollar question " the required boost " is it 15, 16.5, 17. Unless something changes drastically after some undetermined amount of mileage doo's claim of 17+ psi was an epic fail.

Could it be a boost leak, sure but highly unlikely with the amount of sleds affected by this. Once i took delivery i spent a long full day and went over every nut, bolt, clamp, intercooler, intercooler drain plug and I bet I'm not the only one.
Guys with the Mach and other 900R models are swapping springs, grinding down the arms or replacing them all together, Putting PB80 clutches on, all in the hopes to hit 8000 rpm and to get above 114mph on a 26,000 dollar sled.

IMO this is not something we can fix, we can dress it up to work slightly better but its still lipstick on a pig until doo fixes this. Yet another million dollar question.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
You couldn’t have said it better! Epic fail if these sleds aren’t delivering the advertised boost!
It's too bad because my early impression of this xrs is it handles and rides great. I just want great hp like i was lead to believe i was getting.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
That's the million dollar question " the required boost " is it 15, 16.5, 17. Unless something changes drastically after some undetermined amount of mileage doo's claim of 17+ psi was an epic fail.

Could it be a boost leak, sure but highly unlikely with the amount of sleds affected by this. Once i took delivery i spent a long full day and went over every nut, bolt, clamp, intercooler, intercooler drain plug and I bet I'm not the only one.
Guys with the Mach and other 900R models are swapping springs, grinding down the arms or replacing them all together, Putting PB80 clutches on, all in the hopes to hit 8000 rpm and to get above 114mph on a 26,000 dollar sled.

IMO this is not something we can fix, we can dress it up to work slightly better but its still lipstick on a pig until doo fixes this. Yet another million dollar question.
I've been following. I agree with you 100%. There's no way this can be a boost leak, fuel problem or any of the other usual culprits or you guys would have figured it out before now. There has to be a software/hardware problem. Would be nice to compare parts on a "good" one and a bad one. Make sure they didn't change injectors, boost controller, wastegate actuator suppliers etc. It wouldn't surprise me to find different suppliers being used with how hard it is to get things. Guys looking for this thing to top end are still going to have to get it on crusty snow or ice.

·
Registered
933 Posts
When i pick up my mach this week i am installing this boost guage and will have my eyes glued to it since there is no way to datalog any useful info.
Im not touching any clutching until i am convinced this engine is boosting and running 100% Gadget Measuring instrument Rectangle Sports equipment Tool

·
Registered
2022 Renegade Adrenaline 900R
154 Posts

Perfectly said!
Coming from a Yamaha, i didn't want to sound skeptical or look like i'm down playing this sled. Or even a TROLL.
I'm trying to fit in here.
Especially since i love EVERYTHING about it except for top speed.

They advertised 180hp right ???

I think that what ya got.
Great point, but if that is THE case, then they clutched &/or geared it wrong.
Again, so did the YamaCat so i'm not mad.
It's why i'm here. To better my sled. It's why we're ALL here.

One thing to note.
I was told 17.4 psi.
Can't remember where that came from.
Was that Ski Doo that said that or did WE speculate that?
Cuz if that was made up, then we have what we have.
If Doo claimed that then they need to step up.

P.S: Yamaha boys were a tad scared when the Mach was introduced.
------Yamaha NA Snowmobile President said "welcome to the Hyper-Sled market"
------If Doo doesn't step up soon, they're looking foolish. Need to be in the same Game never mind Ball Park
------If they advertised it as a Real Great Handling Fast Sled then they'd be OK
------They said "First Across Lake"

P.S2: Does Ski Doo read these forums?
-------Cuz if so, let's see them get mad & push that bar up like Arnold before a match when Ferrigno came on the scene.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Perfectly said!
Coming from a Yamaha, i didn't want to sound skeptical or look like i'm down playing this sled. Or even a TROLL.
I'm trying to fit in here.
Especially since i love EVERYTHING about it except for top speed.

Great point, but if that is THE case, then they clutched &/or geared it wrong.
Again, so did the YamaCat so i'm not mad.
It's why i'm here. To better my sled. It's why we're ALL here.

One thing to note.
I was told 17.4 psi.
Was that Ski Doo that said that or did WE speculate that?
Cuz if that was made up, then we have what we have.
If Doo claimed that then they need to step up.

P.S: Yamaha boys were a tad scared when the Mach was introduced.
------Yamaha NA Snowmobile President said "welcome to the Hyper-Sled market"
------If Doo doesn't step up soon, they're looking foolish. Need to be in the same Game never mind Ball Park
------If they advertised it as a Real Great Handling Fast Sled then they'd be OK
------They said "First Across Lake"

P.S2: Does Ski Doo read these forums?
-------Cuz if so, let's see them get mad & push that bar up like Arnold before a match when Ferrigno came on the scene.
" I was told 17.4 psi.
Was that Ski Doo that said that or did WE speculate that? "

Go to the 10 min point. 17.4 psi !

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
So now what??? Bring it to your dealer and let them look at it. Also, I think people need to get on BRP's face book page and start complaining and don't let off on the gas!!!! Keep hammering them and reference the video of 17.5psi, because there is a big difference in performance from 14-17.5PSI. That's about 15-20hp....

·
boost junkie
11,765 Posts
and now you know why the beancounters left off a boost gauge

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Did crack pressure this morning,

what should 17.5 psi be.
From what I gather from the tuners, should be around 11+

we have a problem if it’s supposed to be 11.
They spot painted the treads to know if anyone messes with it. View attachment 1987012
It's not visible, what did you get?

Just a guess but i think 9 psi would get you there.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I think 9 would be fine for 17.5 psi
I was also understanding that if the hurricane ecu was installed, you’d have over 20 psi , don’t think they adjusted the crack pressure.
i also tried the Mach clutching on a 19 205 hurricane renegade x and works perfectly
im also seeing higher rpm’s on the Mach in standard mode
I honestly think the lower rpm has something to do with the launch control and the helix.
I do honestly think the ecu is limiting timing or boost , my Mach runs higher rpm’s at lower water temperatures
what does your guys sled run for temp, mines around 165 to 170 pretty much all the time , but if I try it at 100 I appears stronger.
dyno sheet also has a lower water temp

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
he just started on the complex ecu
engine temps also a big player in max boost and timing
fuel is another problem, is your fuel making the ecu cut some power
is 91 enough octane, is your fuel really 91
buy the highest available and hope its high enough...lol
add octane booster and see if there is any changes
I have a bunch of data from the 900t but who knows what they changed with the new ecu
Yes, worthwhile to see if octane boost makes a change. My guess is that octane is not likely to enter into this matter: Adding octane does not add power, only detonation resistance. Having said that, a given higher octane fuel may run better with more power, but that is usually due to a different additive mix, like less ethanol, not the octane rating. The ECU has no way to measure octane... it only reflects in detonation.

One major design goal here in a production sled is to avoid detonation. This is not a diesel with the heavy internal construction... detonation is any everyday thing in diesel-land. You can be sure they kept a lot of margin in the programming to detonation. Can anyone cite that source of the 17.4 psi max boost? I'd like to see the context; that may have been early promotion and the reality crept in later to force a lower limit.

And yes engine temps enter into the programming action. IDK what they may be doing with engine temps here other than the obvious warm-up enrichment, and controls for overtemp situations. The main temp used is the IAT (inlet air temp) which is used to approximate air density.

221 - 240 of 819 Posts